Author Topic: Looking for Tips  (Read 2378 times)

FishCrazy14

Looking for Tips
« on: Dec 04, 2003, 07:08 PM »
Hey everybody,
new user here very excited about giving ice fishing a shot. I'm 16 and the only fisherman in my house and I'm looking to go out and try my luck at ice fishing. I was wondering if anyone in the Jackson area could give me some tips about local lakes or tips on getting started. Also, if you have any extra equipment I could have/buy please tell me! Thanks alot,
Brandon

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re:Looking for Tips
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2003, 07:29 PM »
Fishcrazy14
Welcome Brandon!
Where are you located? Jackson_________?

Check out the forum for your state and don't hesitate to visit
the other forums and join in. You'll get more info than you can believe.

Look in the FOR SALE forum for used equipment.

RGFIXIT
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2003, 08:13 PM »
I see you are from MI (Your profile)....Good luck getting started. Just keep an open mind and think about why you are doing what you are doing and you will be just fine.

Don't forget safety....The first thing you should buy is a $5 pair of ice picks...AKA, the "picks of life". They will make all the difference in the world if you fall in.

Good luck

Bob

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2003, 08:15 PM »
You can also ask your local bait dealer or join a local fish and game club. They can help with good fishing spots and have them help explain the different gear available. Make sure they dont talk you into buying junk you dont need (but then again there is no ice fishing "junk" its all good) ;D  
Seriously though, every one on this sight is usually a wealth of knowledge about gear and fishing tips. You just have to remember to subtract        5-10inches when someone says they caught  a fish because they all lie about the size ha ha ;D  
Good to have you on the sight and good luck fishing.

oh yah and get a good set of ice picks!

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2003, 08:36 PM »
Hello Brandon and Welcome!
First, check out the Equipment/Ice Fishing Equipment List started by our host. That'll give you a good starting point. As the other members have already stated SAFETY is #1 so get (or make) a set of picks. You can make almost everything you need and can get tips and instructions from just about everybody here. My best ice fishing rod is one I made with a piece of apple tree branch for a handle and the top of an old broken fishing rod. Make a depth sounder from an old sinker with an alligator clip, grab a couple of hooks and split shots, maybe a "swedish pimple" jig and a cup of wigglers or grubs and you're in business. You'll also find that with a friendly handshake and a "please" almost anyone fishing will be happy to drill you a few holes and even scoop it clear. Keep it simple, stay safe (and dry) and you'll have a great time on the ice!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 04:58 AM »
Welcome Brandon
If you are the only fisherman in your house then do yourself a favor go with a friend don't go alone. Get used to the ice at first. As far as equiptment goes, get a small plastic tobogin for kids a couple plastic 5gal pails 1 or 2 rods a couple jigs and some bait a ice skimmer and a auger and your all set. Shouldnt cost more than 200 bucks to start. The biggest cost is the auger. But the main thing is be safe! 50ft of rope Ice picks even a life jacket could save your life or someone elses. A fish is not worth anyones life. Best of luck to you
Cold Feet

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2003, 05:44 AM »
If you don't understand what something is or are unsure on how to do something feel free to ask.

And remember, there is no substitute for safety.
Have fun and keep us informed on how you you do.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:46 AM »
Check out the Irish Hills area just south of you. Many many lakes, Kuntsons in Brooklyn is a top notch bait store and a sponsor for the Ice teams Trap attack on Wamplers Lake.  They will be able to help you with your needs and info. If you would like you can come down and fish with my friends and I when we fish those area lakes.  Good luck and Good IceFishing!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2003, 10:00 AM »
FC14, welcome aboard :)
16 and only one in your house that icefishes, could be tough but were here to help.
Go to MI. board for ideas on good fishing spots. What type of fish are you after? If you need anything post it here or IM. me. The price on my stuff is free + shipping.
I wish i knew 2 weeks ago cause i gave away 20 Caty jigs.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2003, 10:31 AM »
Lesson #1 stay safe.  This includes ice picks and ice creepers.  A guy I went to school with passed away last year when he slipped on the ice and hit his head.  I will never ice fish again without creepers.

Lesson #2 stay warm.  Dress in light layers.  If you sweat, you will get cold as well.

Many other things to learn but these two must happen for fishing to be enjoyable.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

NAD42

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2003, 08:57 PM »
I'd recommend that you set up near/with others and get a taste of small pond/lake fishing before venturing out onto the big lakes...if the big lakes in MI "moan and groan and heave" like Lake George in NY does....you might need a change of shorts until you get used to it. STAY ON TOP!!

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2003, 12:48 PM »
Hi Gang!
  Don't forget to buy a life vest after you buy your pic's.
  I have a sterns inflatable it is form fitting and nice to wear.  Not to may guys talk about them but you really need one it can save you if you go in over your head.
  The very best peice of advice I can give you is don't go ice fishing alone until your experienced some.  go out only when you already see otheres on the ice and go to your local bait shop and bug the heck out of the store owner with tons of questions.  Any and all questions you can imagine will be answered here too!  The guys in these threads are extremely knowledagable.  I kid you not there are real! experts on line.  One comon thing we all have is safety first and we do look out for one another above anything else.  I say ya have to hunt the fish to find them but first make sure ya leave the ice the same way ya went on dry and happy!!!  
   Da-Roc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.