Author Topic: cod liver oil  (Read 3274 times)

grumpymoe

cod liver oil
« on: Dec 04, 2003, 01:36 PM »
a seasoned friend told me-a dogs smell is 1000 times better than a human and a fish is 1000 times better than a dog..take cod liver oil and mask your hooks/lures with it to increase your strikes--does anyone use this? ???

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Re:cod liver oil
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2003, 01:56 PM »
hmmm never tried that one before. Try it and let us know

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2003, 04:33 PM »
Careful with that stuff. I had heard of that trick and tried it out. The oil floats on the surface of the cold water and sticks to the line. Then it gets onto and into the reel and makes a really sticky mess. I spent an hour cleaning that oil off my spools, bails and line guides. In my opinion it's not worth it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:57 AM »
fulltmedad---really appreciate your experience--my seasoned friend uses this for summer fishing only-never thought of the cold water-wont be tryin that :'( :'(

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:59 PM »
grumpymoe    He may be on the right track though. Cossack (brand) makes a SHRIMP OIL that is light and if you only use a little on the lure/jig/bait it won't build up. It comes in a 2 oz. plastic bottle and is easy to use.
Stay warm Afishingfool

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 10:51 PM »
If you want to use something that works well in the cold try smelly jelly. I have some but I am not sure how much it has helped. Onone outing last year I didn't get any bites untill I used it. but its only made a different that one time. Go figure?

George

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2003, 04:49 AM »
I have heard of this trick. That stuff stinks. Not any for me, Im trying to cut back thanks.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline spoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2003, 07:41 AM »
     I know it works in the Summer Months.  A friend of mine put it on his stick baits while Walleye fishing at nite.  He immediately caught two Walleyes, while I remained fishless.

missfishylicious

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2003, 08:15 AM »
    I know it works in the Summer Months.  A friend of mine put it on his stick baits while Walleye fishing at nite.  He immediately caught two Walleyes, while I remained fishless.
it being smelly jelly or cod liver oil you lost me ;D

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2003, 07:16 AM »
A friend of mine who fishes for the state dept. of IF&W here in ME swears by Smelly Jelly.  My nephew fishes with him and claims it seems to make a difference.

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:44 AM »
I've tried salmon oil and eggshells and so far it has not worked. I have heard some people talk about WD 40 does anyone know anything about this?
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:57 AM »
I went fishing on a Lake Ontario charter boat one summer for lakers.  The mate on the boat would hook on a lure and then hose it down with WD-40 until it was running off of it.  He claimed it either covered the human scent or the smell of the WD attracted fish.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to dump any quantity of WD-40 into a lake. Just doesn't seem right somehow.

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:04 AM »
daffydone--wd40 really nails the catfish and makes your hands smell good too

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:46 PM »
We spray WD-40 on #7 pearl Swedish Pimples when fishing deep water for whitefish.  It seems to help.
I heard some good things about using the nightcrawler scented Smelly Jelly for bluegills through the ice last winter so I bought some.  Haven't tried it yet but ice is coming!!

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get outta the house you lazy basstard!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2003, 11:02 PM »
What is Smelly Jelly? -V
-V

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.