Author Topic: battery charging  (Read 911 times)

Offline guzz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
battery charging
« on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:31 AM »
the goofy little plug in charger that i got with my vex died recently.can you charge a gell cell type battery with  the kind of charger one would use to charge a boat battery? or would it ruin the battery? any help would be greatly apprecited.

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
Re: battery charging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:46 AM »
I think it will ruin your gel cell battery.  Your battery needs to be charged at maybe 0.5 amps.  Normal deep cycle battery chargers often put out 2 amps as a minimum and maybe 10 amps max which is too harsh for the gel cell.

That is how I heard it from Vexilar staff when I called in with your question a couple of years ago. 

I went down to Radio Shack and bought a little 0.5 amp charger for about $10.  Had to cut off the end connections to add ones that fit my the battery posts but that was simple enough.

Good luck and don't ruin your battery. 

I messed up my old Vex battery charger by wrapping the cord too tight around the plug in box when I was storing it.  It eventually cracked the power cord going into the box.  I wrap it fairly loose nowadays and have not had a problem.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline guzz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2007, 04:48 PM »
thank you.info much apprecited.

Offline dropshot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2007, 06:16 PM »
dont think you want to charge a 6v battery with a 12v charger
I WANT ICE !!!!!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2007, 04:37 PM »
6 volt?  every flasher i have ever seen since the old green box was 12 volt and i think them took two 6 volt batteries in series.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.