New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: NY lake contour maps  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Armstrong brother #2

• IceShanty Rookie
NY lake contour maps
« on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:13 AM »
where can i get some NY lake contour maps??  i tried the DEC  and they didnt work?  thanks for any help James.....

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: NY lake contour maps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:17 AM »
you could buy the Sportsman's Connection New York Fishing Map Guide. you can find them at walmarts or some bait shops might have them. they tell you everything theres a contour map it shows you access points a nd tells you what kind of fish there are in a lake and many other things.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Be very wary of the Sportsmans Connection books.  A lot of the info they put in there is bogus...The maps are good however...Just be your own judge of the information they give you.  ::)

-Zach

Offline Armstrong brother #2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:21 AM »
thanks alot i will have to check it out

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Be very wary of the Sportsmans Connection books.  A lot of the info they put in there is bogus...The maps are good however...Just be your own judge of the information they give you.  ::)

-Zach

Could't of said it any better my self i know mithcels on lake ave has  a few so does gander
its a footrace to the hole

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:33 AM »
The thing is, a lot of the information they give you is information given by baitshop owners.  Who actually knows how credible they are?  While I'm not saying they all do it, I think a lot of owners will talk up the fishing of nearby lakes in order to attract people to the area and their business, when in reality the fishing is mediocre.  Don't believe me?  How many of you have called a baitshop about a bite and been told it was great...then you get there and talk to people on the lake, and fish it yourself, and discover that the bite is non-existent?  I know I have, and I wouldn't expect some guys to do anything different with these books.  Not for a particular bite, but they can definitely exaggerate the quality of a fishery for sure... ::)

That's why I love IceShanty.com  ;)

-Zach

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2007, 11:20 AM »
adirondacklakessurvey.org has contour maps of most of the smaller lakes and ponds of the Adirondacks.

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2007, 12:51 PM »
I must agree with CHB regarding some of the techniques/comments associated with the Sportsman's Connection Binder.  I received the WNY lakes region as a Christmas gift and was thrilled with the contour maps...however, having fished a number of the lakes I outright disagreed with a number of their review.  The binder itself will be a very valuable tool for depth and note-taking...but I wouldn't trust the recommendations passed along!! ;)

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2007, 12:54 PM »
The following website directs you to the NYSDEC contour maps...you need adobe acrobat as well as knowing which county the lake is located.  Not a lakes are included.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/lakemaps/

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:43 PM »
id have to agree with all u guys about the book, great maps, dont even bother reading the rest because all the info on the lakes im familiar with is totally wrong, i fish adirondack lake quite often and i gotta say i have never caught one of the "common lake trout" i have however scored many of the "rare pike" so although id like to think that i am blessed with some amazing pike fishing skills i think the info in the booklet is about as honest as most politicians ::)
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.