New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Conesus Lake Jigs?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Conesus Lake Jigs?
« on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:06 AM »
Does anyone know if someone still makes or sells these jigs? I remember my Dad taking us out 35 or so years ago and using them with oak leaf grubs to ice some nice perch on Conesus. I caught a thread discussing them when people were talking about oak leafs, saying a guy in Rochester might be making some. Any info will be appreciated.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Conesus Lake Jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:38 AM »
A good friend of mine has a couple of those too and we have been looking for some also !
If you hear of any please let me know and I'll do the same for you .

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:09 AM »

Still have one of those from 30 years ago and they did work for perch on the Coneish. We did use oakleaf bugs too. When the perch population crashed in Conesus, so did that style of jigging. I think if you could find these jigs they would work at other places, just my opinion. :tipup:

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I stopped at Art's Bait shop today and talked to him about them. No luck. He did mention a guy said he had a couple hundred of them but wouldn't part with any. Too bad.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:50 PM »
I think this is as close as you will come:
http://www.smackinjacklures.com/

I ordered some of these late last year and was told they are the same as the old "Conesus jigs."
Let me know what you think.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:07 PM »

They are similar but, not quite the same shape. The Conesus is not as elongated, more of a square triangle and the metal was a lot thicker too, like an1/8 or 3/16. It also had a horizontal bend on the top 1/4" instead of the vertical bend down the middle. I don't have a pic or I'd post it. :tipup:

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:09 AM »
I have a few and I still use them shawner good description of the lure. In fact in Vt. last week at Lake Rescue I caught Lake Trout on one. Yes I still get Perch on them here in the Bays along Lake Ontairo also.       hinkydo

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I have a few and I still use them shawner good description of the lure. In fact in Vt. last week at Lake Rescue I caught Lake Trout on one. Yes I still get Perch on them here in the Bays along Lake Ontairo also.       hinkydo

Would you be willing to post a picture?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2007, 09:39 PM »

Conesus Jig: I caught many perch on them and they seemed to work only with oak leaf bugs(for me anyways)--Used them in Conesus and had excellent fishing in Keuka (the 60's) just north of Willow Grove Point in 40 ft. of water. Pete Thomas, Don Nielsen and we showed Jr. Flynn (nickname) from Rochester the area and jig also. They never seemed to work any better than other jigs in Oneida, Canandaigua or Honeoye. The front was silver plate, the back was brass. I think the smackinjack is a great jig, a fisherman from Grand Island put me on to them, you guys may want to try them in place of the "conesus" jig. Also, a person that worked for DEC in fisheries (Ralph King) from Caledonia had at least 50 of them. Ralph passed away several years ago, what happened to all those jigs is a great question. His children may have them ??

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:33 AM »
   ...........I think the smackinjack is a great jig, a fisherman from Grand Island put me on to them, you guys may want to try them in place of the "conesus" jig.

Jud, Any secrets to fishing the Smackinjack? Though, as I mentioned I have several, I haven't dunked any yet.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline sticknmove

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:09 PM »
You can try calling Bobs bait and tackle on the north end of Conesious lake. I bought some there about five years ogo. They call them the Conesious lure   good luck.                                                                                             

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:12 PM »
You can try calling Bobs bait and tackle on the north end of Conesious lake. I bought some there about five years ogo. They call them the Conesious lure   good luck.                                                                                             

That bait shop has been closed for about 3 or 4 years now.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.