Author Topic: Ice safety at night!  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
Ice safety at night!
« on: Nov 17, 2003, 04:03 PM »
Hey gang!
   I was wondering how you keep from getting run down at night by snowmachines.  What do u guys use.  At night it usually is blowing and its hard for traffic to see my fish trap.  I have reflectors on the corners of the tent.  I fish alot in the snow and blowing wind.  I am going to try three traffic safety flashersthis year.   I'll place them around where I am fishing.  I hope they will help this year.  I was also wondering if using red tail type lights in the clam for light will be better than using my coleman??  I see it in the movies in submarines all the time..  Is there a reason for red lights? ???
Da-Roc

GatorSlayer

Re:Ice safety at night!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2003, 04:28 PM »
The red light is used because it is easier on the eyes a night, especially if you will be moving from a lighted area to a dark area, say outside your shanty. The red light will keep your pupils dialated (unlike white light which keeps your pupils contracted), allowing more light to enter and this saves time when going to a darker area because your eyes will be almost completely adjusted. Like you said, these lights are common on submarines as well as in the cockpits of airliners and large ships.

The traffic lights sound like a good idea, but could be a pain to lug around, depending on how big they are. I use 2x2 sticks, about 2 feet long, and put a piece of reflective tape around them to stake out my tip ups at night. You could maybe take 3 or 4 of those and stake out the area you are fishing, but if you said the reflective material on your shelter isn't enough, than this may not be an option. I would just think the stakes would be easier to carry than all those lights and the battaries that go with them.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2003, 05:36 PM »
Roc,.a few years ago I got this red flasher at Target,..its about 6x4  inches and has a bunch of LEDs I keep one in every car,..it has a magnet and attches to your car if its broken down,..or you can place it down the road for extra warning,..ITS VERY BRIGHT,..almost blinding if you are close to it,..I'm sure you can see it for miles and should show up well in adverse conditions,...What I do is put velcro  on it to attach it to where ever (actually not velcro but that industrial  holder stuff you buy at Radio Shack,..) I rob the cars of them for the time I'm out,..not sure how many you would need in your situation,.they are only directional in one plane,..you also might check out the thread here on "FIRETACKS"   www.firetack.com    they have super reflective tape and driveway markers that are much more reflective than most reflectors,..check them out,..I think the prices are very fair for what they do,...hope it helps,..

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2003, 05:40 PM »
Opps,..thats   www.firetacks.com

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2003, 05:49 PM »
btw note what they say about these for foggy/rainy etc conditions,...not sure they really are 500x better but even if they fall short of that,...I think the red/white tape might be good on the shelter if it sticks on your unit. otherwise check out their corner reflectors,..loop tapes and driveway sticks.....also that aforementioned LED flasher flashes a long time on 4 aa batteries...

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:15 PM »
I bought two packs of the "Bumble Bee" yellow fire tape.  They sure reflect a flashlight's light. The strips are 5" long and have velcro on each end.  Have not yet figured out where to stick them on the Fishtrap.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:33 PM »
Were gettin pretty old to pull the stunts we use to. 4 TO 6 white painted cement blocks 10 to 20 yards out of the tent does the trick.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2003, 10:24 PM »
LuckyD, aren't these the ones that loop onto themselves,..I think they use them on branches in the woods,.not sure they would take the whipping in the wind you sometimes get out on the ice,...

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2003, 11:02 PM »
My plan is to super glue some small patches of velcro on the Fish Trap then stick these pieces of tape onto the glued on velcro.  I'll let you know if it works.

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2003, 11:21 PM »
Maybe when you hear them coming you should stand out side with a really big stick, maybe they would slow down then.They have rules that they are supposed to abide by also I'm sure. 8)

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2003, 11:50 PM »
Sometimes when out at night snow mobilers use our shelters as slalom pylons. I think they give each other points for coming the closest to a shanty. The worst part about it was that there were little kids playing on the ice between the shanties.  Luckily no one got hurt. I've been hit by the flying snow the snow mobiles threw up.  They're supposed to be 100' away from us but tend to ignore the rules.  You rarely see the DNR and we sure can't catch em.  I'm just trying to do everything I can to make myself as visible as possible.

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2003, 12:11 AM »
It's a shame when some people just can't be considerate of other people doing what they like to do. What if all these snowmobiles were all sitting in a group eating lunch or drinking beer(more likely) and we came along and started drilling holes and putting up shelters all around them? I'm sure it wouldn't be a pretty site >:(

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2003, 12:35 AM »
Here in Illinois we dont have a big problem with snowmobiles.  At least 1 or 2 fall though each lake each year.  99% of the snowmobilers that I have seen are idiots and endangering everyones life every minute they are on the ice.  I think the best idea here is the cement blocks.

loakieidog

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2003, 02:47 AM »
Try a new lake? Come to oshkosh and I will show you a good time fishing---Hey we may not catch any fish but you will not care!
We max out almost everytime we go out

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2003, 03:42 AM »
New Hampshire law states that snowmoblies must travel atleast 150ft away from an occupied shanty,but there usually not a CO around and most snowmobliers feel since you are on public property they can travel where they want. I like the idea of having some concrete blocks around the shanty - that would definitly slow them down.LOL
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2003, 08:34 AM »
Cinder blocks maybe a good idea , but then how mobile are you actually going to be when you have to keep packing and unpacking these things up everytime you want to move ? You're almost guarenteed to set up on your first choice spot and then maybe move once or twice at the most when you have to do all that work.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2003, 03:41 PM »
Jeesh, no one here uses a snowmobile to get their shanty on the ice.  Half my friends use their snowmobiles and I use an ATV.  We have no problems with snowmobilers that I'm aware of.  Sometimes they go through my traps but I have them strung out a couple hundred feet sometimes and don't blame them.  Can't bash the snowmobilers, they tend to be a good bunch up here in Maine.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2003, 06:47 PM »
I Icefish in northern Illinois and like I said 99% of the snowmobilers here are idiot speedfreaks.  They race thier boats on the lake in the summer and the snowmobiles on the winter.  They are using niether for fishing,  just speed.  I don't believe Illinois has a law on marking your shanty with reflective tape, but I plan on stapling a bunch that I have laying around to my homemade shanty.  I had some close calls in the past couple years.  If someone is stupid  enough to hit me this year all I have to say is " I rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"  In closing I do not mean to insult snowmobilers in rural area, I am sure they are much more responsible than the yuppie fools out here.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2003, 07:36 PM »
If it was me and they were coming that close to my shanty
i would try a nice long length of clothsline tied from 2 -4 wheelers or something semi stationary. that should fixem.
Actually a video camera that was taping it may come in handy for the dnr. there's plenty of space to ride without
infringing on the rights of fisherman and women.

Offline WalleyeStalker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:26 AM »
I use the reflective tape on 2X2's to mark my Tip-ups and my portables location, its seems to slow them down at least. Where I have my permanent house I just take the kids out and we make some snowmen about 4 to 6 feet high, we do give them a 2x2 with a reflector so we dont cause and injuries but they keep the traffic down most of the season and keep my kids busy when the fishing is slow. Also on Mille Lacs there are so many pressure ridges that its almost sport watching these guys tear up four and five thousand dollar sleds jumping these 4 foot raised piles of ice. Twice last year we helped cart someone off. Once with a broken arm and once with a broken hip. Alcohol was involved both times but just being young and dumb was more of a factor. I can say that now at 43 yrs old. I used to waterskip in Siren, WI. But then we were only risking our own necks not anyone in a fishouse or kids playing.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:50 AM »
I have a set of folding triangle reflectors that I picked up at a truck stop store. They have their own box and seem to do the trick. I just pack them with snow and they don't tip over, plus they are large enough that the local hot shots seem to steer clear of them. Maybe they think that they are marking open water???
C'mon ICE!!!

slacker

« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2003, 11:57 AM »
I will have to get some of those triangle reflectors, sounds like a good idea.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2003, 05:00 PM »
check out
www.firetacks.com
note they have different types of super reflectors.  Their claim is that in bad(foggy etc) weather they will be 500x better than standard reflectors. (I don't know for sure about that) but I did see one in clear weather and they are VERY bright!

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2003, 06:18 PM »
My shelter is black.
I ice fish nights 99% of the time.
I don'T have any reflective stuff on any thing i own.
I'm afraid to use refelective items cause these idiots around here are attracted to shiny stuff at night, kinda like dumb sparrows.
Also reflectors would give these jerks '' targets''.
If they come to close and hit something and break a ski, oh well tough crap.
The only thing reflective thing i can think of using would be a large sign that says '' DWI CHECKPOINT''

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:47 PM »
crappieloo
Love the idea of the checkpoint. Just put it near soft ice with a can of beer next to a gas hole. I gave up rideing because of these idiots on the trails. To them the lake is a free invitation to run wide open and they don't think that anyone else is out their injoying it but them. Its the same in summer with the jetskis or waterskiers. Maybe the state should outlaw rideing on lakes after dark.Or post a trail across it.
Cold Feet

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2003, 11:07 AM »
Hi Gang!
   I found  the lazer light from target it seems to be a good,  I bought two.  It has a very nice flasher and should help, plus it is light.  The two traffic barrier warning lights are really light too. They only weight 3 pounds each with recharagable batteries.  I do get tired of all this extra stuff I have to do to protect my self on the ice.  But hey better safe than ran down at 60 +mph.  These folks on snowmobils should chill but they wont. They are a growning pain for us in northern indiana. and most of them come out of the city (chicago ) on the weekends.  They follow no rules and have no reguard for anyone but them selves.
 I am going to say something to them this year on the lakes I fish.  Something has to give.  I wonder If the DNR could help??  
Da -Roc

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:45 PM »
man, sounds like there are alot of jerks down there.  Ive had people who fish pull up and ask how i was doing on a snowmachine. when it scares away the fish its a little irritating, but they would move if i asked.  Heck i even fish on a lake with a snowmobile race track.  I guess snowmachiners know to respect other peoples stuff up here in Alaska, for the most part.  By the way, its snowmachines...not snowmobiles...spoken from alaska where the snowmaching season is the logest.  ;D :P ;D

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:00 AM »
Hi Gang!
  To give you an example or the "snowmachiners" mentality.  This last weekend I was scouting one of my large ponds  it is right next to a winter wheat field.
It snowed  the night before and the snowmachiners have been out .  They tore out most of the winter wheat field running  all over the field.  I bet the farmer lost thousands to this stupid group of snow machniers.
I guess in alaska people are more respectful to others.  I hope to visit there one day and find out!
   Da-Roc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.