New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice check - Oneida lake  (Read 5168 times)

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice check - Oneida lake
« on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:29 AM »
After I got a e-mail about ice conditions on oneida, I decided to check in front of the library in Constantia.Its the acess everyone uses there.

My first step revealed hanging ice with water under it. I broke right through. The lake froze with lake levels high and there is hanging ice all over the lake shores. I went five steps on to the ice and swung my axe. It went through with little effort. I measured the ice with my finger  and its about 2" to 2 1/2". Most of it was snow ice.

So as of writing, I would not recommend any fishing in the main lake as of writing, leaving big bay as your best bet for oneida lake fishing.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline brymanmav

• IceShanty Rookie
  • perch pickin good time
Re: Ice check - Oneida lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:09 PM »
I have a friend who went out on the North Bay area and he said there was 2 inches of black ice.....That was
yesterday the 24th.....with the cold temperatures weve been having hopefully the ice should be in the 4 - 5 inches area by the weekend the 27th and 28th.....good luck
 :woot:

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:53 PM »
I have confirmed sightings of people fishing off of Edgewater...I would not attempt it by any means for another week!

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2007, 04:10 AM »
I have a confirmed sighting of a guy on snowmobile off Sylvan but also reliable sources that say the ice is at best 3" in the area except where the ice broke and pushed in like last season.

Offline mcboats81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:33 AM »
I have checked the ice off of the south shore boat launch and saw two guys fishing off there on Wednesday 24 Jan.  Checked it Wednesday also and there was about 3 inches 100yds out.  The ice was black and solid with no cloudiness to it at all.  Not much snow on it at all.  Just a week ago it was all open water with the high winds.  I will check again today and post the conditions.  Keep your fingers crossed!!

Offline flower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:40 AM »
Anyone have an idea how the ice is over by the islands in front of Borio's and/or in front of Williams Park (I think that is the name of the park, just past Borios if the lake is on the left...yea, bad with N E S W)?

Offline bearduke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2007, 11:49 AM »
Checked in front of Williams park last night. Where the slush has froze there is 5". However, most of it is a couple inches of snow and a couple inches of wet slush and only 1-1/2" of ice. It would barely hold me. Does not look good for this weekend

Offline flower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Checked in front of Williams park last night. Where the slush has froze there is 5". However, most of it is a couple inches of snow and a couple inches of wet slush and only 1-1/2" of ice. It would barely hold me. Does not look good for this weekend

Hey, thanks for the update. Guess we'll head up to Guffin bay and then plan on Oneida next week.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Anyone have an idea how the ice is over by the islands in front of Borio's and/or in front of Williams Park (I think that is the name of the park, just past Borios if the lake is on the left...yea, bad with N E S W)?
Ive got a friend of mine that just called me he lives 1 mile west of borios. snowmobiles are driving up and down between the islands towards polar beach. he also said a couple of sleds headed towards the otherside of the lake across the channel WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE NUTS OR WHAT. :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:14 PM »
It's amazing how far booze and a very fast vehicle will getcha  ::)
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:22 PM »
I measured 3" about 1/4 mile out in front of Williams Park today, spudded through with a couple whacks a little farther out.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Is anyoune fishing the south shore derby next weekend?
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline dgriff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:42 PM »
I will be fishing the derby, most likely off of Chapman

Offline mcboats81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:36 PM »
Fast sleds, weak ice and they say we are crazy.  I'll be fishing the derby probably off of Chapman also. 

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:51 PM »
Do they let you park in the parking lot by the lake or make you walk in ?

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:13 PM »
If the gates open to the Park(Chapmans) it's usually a good indication that it
s OK to park down by the Lake , that has been my experience . 8)
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

PWR BAIT

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2007, 02:52 AM »
Bob they usually have the gate open and you can park in the parking lot down by the lake.That would be a long walk from RT 31 ::)

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:16 AM »
For some time, that was the way it was, no open gates. I'm just old and that was probably before your time.

I hope to update this "ice check" post today.

Offline MSP12147

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Hard Or Not At All!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:43 AM »
Im goin out todayt and wen i get back i will up date everyone on the thickness of tha is of tha south shore like out off the end of tylar rd in lakeport well good luck to anyone who temps goin out today. ;D  lets hope for thick ice. :tipup:

Offline mcboats81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2007, 01:44 PM »
Tried it off the south shore boat launch today.  good solid 4 inches black ice everywhere inside the island.  no fish....probably 7-8 people gave it a try.  No one I saw ventured out past the island.  heard people were going off of lewis point.  the gate at chapman was open yesterday.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2007, 03:12 PM »
There was 4" of ice and snowmobiles on the ice in constantia. A bunch of guys geared up and headed out, but they were gone when I came back 3 hours later. They were heading out towards wantree island. Off in the distance in the middle of the lake towards frenchmans were a couple of shanties.

I would proceed with caution and bring someone and extra safety gear regardless of any of these reports.

Offline MSP12147

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:34 PM »
good 4 to 5" of ice on the south shore no fish but goin to try billingtons bay tmro hope for some fish
 :tipup: :tipup:

Offline luckyhook

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2007, 04:22 AM »
[/quote The gate is open so you can park down by the lake.]

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2007, 06:09 AM »
There was 4" of ice and snowmobiles on the ice in constantia. A bunch of guys geared up and headed out, but they were gone when I came back 3 hours later. They were heading out towards wantree island. Off in the distance in the middle of the lake towards frenchmans were a couple of shanties.

I would proceed with caution and bring someone and extra safety gear regaurdless of any of these reports.

When the lake blew out last weekend on saturday, the ice only broke up from about Frenchmens Island east so maybe there is a little more ice on the west end?  I am certainly not ready to run  sled out there though. 

Offline MSP12147

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Goin out to try billingtons bay let ya know how thick it is there  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Yup, theres a few shanties in front of doris park.

billybono

« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:52 PM »
was out near the islands  3.5 inches of good ice. had the quad out there  :tipup:

billybono

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2007, 01:53 PM »
bill- when I saw you at the salmon shop you didn't look insane... I can't believe you took the quad out on just 3.5 inches. did you catch anything?
I hope this storm doesn't mess up the ice too bad  :(
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:41 PM »
3.5" ice + Quad =   ???
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

billybono

« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:09 AM »
bill- when I saw you at the salmon shop you didn't look insane... I can't believe you took the quad out on just 3.5 inches. did you catch anything?
I hope this storm doesn't mess up the ice too bad  :(

i was already out there.....my pops came racing out on it  ;D

a few decent perch

3.5" ice + Quad =   ???

yeah. it was solid black ice. its been done before. not a problem  :tipup:

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.