Author Topic: Oliver Chain  (Read 954 times)

Offline bgause

• IceShanty Rookie
Oliver Chain
« on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:34 PM »
Anyone know what the ice is like on the Oliver Chain? I fish it a lot in the summer and love it so I was hoping to finally hit it on the ice.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: Oliver Chain
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Oliver, due to its depth, is one of the last to freeze in the area. I usually fish it late season when i need a change of scenery.
oliver's trout will send your drag a scream'in. Good gills(and a few crappie) in the weeds straight out from the access and west. If it does ice up the pike bite can be GREAT.  not quanity by any means but the ones late ice can be.....Just huge
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline bgause

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:56 PM »
I figured its depth would slow it.  But I would imagine the the channels would freeze earlier.

Yeah Ive caught quite a few of the trout in there. A few have been 18+ inches. Really tasty fish ;D 

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:23 PM »
The only chanel i've done good in was the airplane chanel for gills. If you fish out of a shanty you can see down like 25'. you wouldnt believe what you see swimmin down there.
tip ups w/bass shiners will catch some nice trout just hang'em down 10 feet or so over 60fow :o :D

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I have been wanting to go in the winter for about 5 yrs now...I love riggin' it in the summer.  I plan to go this year. 

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:44 PM »
seriously i havent gotten on in probably 2 seasons. Its a riot out on the ice. I feel strage reading 80 fow and dropping a minn'er down like...10 ft.  I've watched rainbows come from 30 feet to slam a pimple down 10. the vex goes solid red.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.