The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Fletchers Pond  (Read 5289 times)

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
Fletchers Pond
« on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:31 PM »
I know that fletchers has awesome Pike and bass fishing, but does it have the depth to produce 40" + fish

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fletchers Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:33 PM »
I know that fletchers has awesome Pike and bass fishing, but does it have the depth to produce 40" + fish

if it gets deeper than 10' id say yes
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:37 PM »
I think it only gets about 10' or so by the railroad tracks and that is the deepest part from what i remember.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:40 PM »
I think it only gets about 10' or so by the railroad tracks and that is the deepest part from what i remember.
its possible then, but i doubt there is to many huge ones in there
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2007, 05:30 AM »
There has been some nice big pike taken out of there. Two winters ago I got a 36 inch but I know of some people  that have gotten bigger ones.

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Slow bite on Fletchers this weekend.  Couple dink gills and crappie.  No flags!

Oh well....just a slow weekend!

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2007, 03:19 PM »
I fished Fletchers 4 days last week and had the same results. No pike, small Gills and a couple of Crappie.
At least the ice is safe. :)

Offline Fishondog

• IceShanty Rookie
Fletchers pond
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:44 PM »
 Fished fletchers sun and mon not one bite no flag didn't see not one person catch any thing. So many weeds you could take all day finding a place clear enough to even drop a line. Water level is real low. I'll never waste time going there again. Some people may catch fish there but out oftwo days of fishing and seeing nothing but weeds suck! Might be all right if you live close by and got time to waste.
Fishon!

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fletchers pond
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:53 PM »
I fished Fletchers 4 days last week and only had 2 flags >:(. Crappie and Bluegill were biting a couple of the days.
I did see a few nice Pike in the shanty but they all had tight lips.

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2007, 06:27 PM »
Yeah...I spent too much time there this weekend, as well.  Either I caught that pond at a bad time or it's all a bunch of hype for nothing.....frustratin g!  But, that's fishing.....I'll get em next time!

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:20 PM »
The fishin @#$@#% at flethers & so does the accomidations , just about all dinky fish. I will never go back . :%$#!:

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 07:29 PM »
The fishin @#$@#% at flethers & so does the accomidations , just about all dinky fish. I will never go back . :%$#!:
Just curious where did you stay while you were there? What was so bad?

Offline Snoman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:59 AM »
From having grown up just north of Fletchers, I can assure you that the "pond" is not just hype.  However, I am a tip-up guy, and don't dedicate any time to panfishing now.  As a kid, we had 4-6 families on the ice all day long several times a winter, and caught all kinds of nice fish.  As an adult, while I only go there maybe twice a year now, the pike action has always been pretty good.  A friend of mine has consistently pulled out a 36" plus each winter on dead smelt and swedish hook. 

If you stayed in a mini cabin there on the shore Slee Pac, then I am not surprised you weren't happy w/ the accommodations.  But, there really isn't much in the immediate area, except Hillman.  Take your John Deere cap if you stay there, and the locals will think you are one of them.  :D   I've got relatives there...I can be disrespectful. ha ha 

Offline Fishondog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2007, 08:36 AM »
 Stayed at the hillman motel. The motel was great but like I said too many weeds to sort through. Too much moving to find a clear spot to drop a line, Was looking for perch mainly but would have fished for whatever was hitting. Had tip ups out but no luck. Was told by a lot of people about the great fishing there. I just never have seen anyone do any good there in person.

Didn't even try to stay at jacks. Not into walking out of your room and down the hall to the bathroom. Might be a nice place but the bathroom deal sucks.

Didn't really mind driving 280 miles one way but I've done it a few times now and never caught nothing but one stinking bluegill.

Think I'm gonna just sit and wait each year for Lake Erie an St. Clair to freeze up. Got a place called the Banana Dikes nearby 2 1/2 mile walk but jumbo perch and walleye. Enough of my crying already!! :%$#!:
Fishon!

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:33 AM »
If you stayed in a mini cabin there on the shore Slee Pac, then I am not surprised you weren't happy w/ the accommodations...

Actually, I was pretty content with my accomodations.....I think it might have been iceman10 that had issue with his accomodations.  I had a great time....just wish the fish would've been biting....but that's always the case, it seems!  If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!   ;)

Offline Snoman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Fishondog, yes there are a lot of weeds.  I have the luxury of staying at the parents house.  I heard about the "community" bathroom and Jacks, and I agree that sucks.

My cousin told me today that St. Clair was iced up.  Our friend got perch off one of the harbors on Mon and Tue.  Good luck.  Enjoy your gas money savings!!! 

Offline Fishondog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:42 AM »
 Yeah every thing is finally froze up around here. Gonna try st. clair or irish hill area.
Fishon!

Offline fisheye99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:56 PM »

When were you there? Nice pike out on the Ice today, if you nailed them down so they didn't blow away. Where did you stay?

Plenty of Ice, about 10" -12". Drove my full size pickup out there the last three days. Nice crappie around dark:30, 12.5" to 14" in size. Hitting hard on Blue minnows. Lots of flags on bass.

Offline grizybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2007, 07:26 AM »
I started fishing Fletchers back in 1974. Never Ice fished it but had to deal with the weeds. And finally 1 year I learned how to fish the weeds. You have to find the lanes and fish them. We were only able to make short cast but would absolutely slaughter the pike (25" to 32" mostly). I would think you could do the same with a tip-up. We have also killed the perch.  We always stayed at Lyons, they are great..

Offline Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2007, 04:51 PM »
Is there a ton of people out there? I remmber going out there 2 years ago for the first  time during ice fishing season and it looked like a lil village. There had to be over 50 shanty's.

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Is there a ton of people out there? I remmber going out there 2 years ago for the first  time during ice fishing season and it looked like a lil village. There had to be over 50 shanty's.
There was last week. Next weekend is the tournament so it will be packed then.

Offline Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:03 PM »
There was last week. Next weekend is the tournament so it will be packed then.
Is the tournament open to everyone? If so how do you get in it?

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:42 PM »
Is the tournament open to everyone? If so how do you get in it?

You have to get a ticket for it. I know they sell them at the Floodwater Canteen and I am pretty sure they have them at Bills on M-32. It is next Saturday, the price of the ticket includes food.

The sign says 9-4 but there are door prizes at like 8 or 8:30. You can get a list of rules where you get tickets.

Offline Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2007, 08:44 PM »
thanks bully, Are you gonna be fishing in the tournment?

Offline fisheye99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:26 AM »
You have to get a ticket for it. I know they sell them at the Floodwater Canteen and I am pretty sure they have them at Bills on M-32. It is next Saturday, the price of the ticket includes food.
(Image removed from quote.)

The sign says 9-4 but there are door prizes at like 8 or 8:30. You can get a list of rules where you get tickets.

It is my understanding that there is a limited number of tickets this year. Fishing has been great the last 2 days. You had to nail down your fish or they would blow away but some nice pike on the ice as well as the panfishing is picking up
Gills are getting hungry. ;D :) ;D

Offline fisheye99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:32 AM »
I started fishing Fletchers back in 1974. Never Ice fished it but had to deal with the weeds. And finally 1 year I learned how to fish the weeds. You have to find the lanes and fish them. We were only able to make short cast but would absolutely slaughter the pike (25" to 32" mostly). I would think you could do the same with a tip-up. We have also killed the perch.  We always stayed at Lyons, they are great..

Thats the ticket, fish the lanes and channels. Fishing on the north side of the old river channel this year, weeds aren't that bad. ;)

Offline grizybear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Goodluck Fisheye99, I always hit the perch on the east side and best on the Northerns on the West and Northern ends (Best is north west of the pod RR tracks. Short cast using #3 Mepps Red & White w/bucktail. Does anybody know how much ice is out there now?

Offline bullydog324

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:12 AM »
thanks bully, Are you gonna be fishing in the tournment?

I think so.

Offline fisheye99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Goodluck Fisheye99, I always hit the perch on the east side and best on the Northerns on the West and Northern ends (Best is north west of the pod RR tracks. Short cast using #3 Mepps Red & White w/bucktail. Does anybody know how much ice is out there now?

Out there today, windy and cold, had about 10" to 12". Driving my full size pickup out from my place, plenty of Ice, close to 14" in my road path out to the shanty. Mepps work great but love the top water action, the weedier the better.

Good luck out there and stay warm.

Offline Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:16 AM »
Does anyone know how much the tickets are? Also does it go by how many fish are caught or is there different categories like pike gills crappies ect.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.