Author Topic: Best Ice Fishing Line  (Read 2042 times)

Offline martini4545

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Ice Fishing Line
« on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:23 AM »
Hey all,
Whats the best line to use for basic perch fishing.. I have used berkley 4lb vanish but I hate the way it is so frail. this line kinks and tangles easily especially for the kids.
Whats the best stuff to currently use? Braided, Mono, Fluoro ???
Ps. I alwaws try for pike too!
I tried the search feature but had no luck with this topic :-[

Thanks ;D

Offline aa2tn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best Ice Fishing Line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:57 AM »
We have had good luck with P-line fluoro-ice but I use 2lb. You need a reel with a good drag on it and need to have it set light. I have another rod with some 3lb fire line crystal that I am going to try this weekend. If you have the drag set right and get a large perch (10-12") it will take the drag out several times on the way up. You need the light line if you are fishing with small jigs (I have some as small as 2mm), the jigs won't have enough weight to straighten out the line. As for pike I have only used tipups with the braided dacron line.
Hope this helps .......Jim.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 12:15 PM »
 I bought a role of fireline micro ice and so far its the best stuff ive used...expensive but definetly worth it.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline martini4545

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2007, 12:45 PM »

I have been leaning towards the "Super-Lines" I will try out the Fireline on Simcoe this week-end, maybe I will see ya there ;D :tipup:

Thanks

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:00 PM »
I have been using the Berkley Micro Ice 4 lb.  I like it so far and its pretty tough.  I got snagged last weekend on a tree at the bottom.  I pulled very very hard on that line before it finally busted. 

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:07 PM »
I love to use Fireline for Perch i use 6lb because I use a jigging rapala most of the time and I don't want a Walleye to break my line.  The only bad thing about is if you get a knot deep into your spool you most likely won't be able to get it out because fireline ties so tight.  This happens more often in summer when you are casting.

Offline TDibiasio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:44 PM »
I do not wan to hijack this thread, sorry martini4545's, but wondering if some one can give me a suggestion for line to use on my new pike rod.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:56 PM »
I use P-Line Fluorclear on all my rods. I cant stand the way braids ice up when it gets cold.

Robin

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:49 AM »
I use maxima ultra green 4lbs. I have never had any problems with it ice fishing and when my girlfriend landed a 42 inch northern this past summer without a leader, I decided thats what I'm staying with.

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:06 AM »
I guess I'm old fashioned but I stick with good old Trilene XL.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:28 AM »
I've had good sucess with the Berkley Micro Ice.
A couple of seasons back while fishing crappies on Red, I had on their 3 lb test and jigging with a tiny gold Kastmaster. Got hit by a HUGE pike...... fought him up to the hole 3 times in about 30 minutes. I have a 9 inch auger.... that pikes bottom lip on one end of the hole and still not see it's eye sockets down the hole. At the end of the second run it had cut a groove into the bottom of the hole.... tried to use the dipper to push the line out of the groove and the pike ran again. The line stayed in the groove and I fought the pike up to the hole. I realized that I wasn't getting the line out so I tried using the dipper handle as a gaff to get him under the mouth.....ya right. After that I saw no reason to try any other line.

Offline martini4545

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:04 PM »
I've had good sucess with the Berkley Micro Ice.
A couple of seasons back while fishing crappies on Red, I had on their 3 lb test and jigging with a tiny gold Kastmaster. Got hit by a HUGE pike...... fought him up to the hole 3 times in about 30 minutes. I have a 9 inch auger.... that pikes bottom lip on one end of the hole and still not see it's eye sockets down the hole. At the end of the second run it had cut a groove into the bottom of the hole.... tried to use the dipper to push the line out of the groove and the pike ran again. The line stayed in the groove and I fought the pike up to the hole. I realized that I wasn't getting the line out so I tried using the dipper handle as a gaff to get him under the mouth.....ya right. After that I saw no reason to try any other line.

nunzio,
Thats an awsome story! :D
I will design a good gaff for my Dipper and try out the Micro Ice on lake Simcoe this weekend!  :D
I will report back on monday how things went :tipup:

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:02 PM »
Wow nice pike on the the micro line. My biggest is a 38" muskie on 3 lb, unfortunatly it too 50 mins and I had to respool my reel cause with the drag going off for most of that 50 mins it was a little twisty..

Robin

Offline icefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:08 PM »
The new Crystal Ice Fireline is the best I've used. The 2 lb test is very strong and totally limp. Iloaded my favorite ice rod, tied on a small spoon and added a dropper line, of about 3 inches. The 3 inches was tied with 6lb Berkley Ice line. Fishing in 7 feet, I could barely make out the Crystal but the Ice line stood out like a sore thumb, and that was at the bottom end!
Icefish2

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:51 PM »
My favorite ice line is TRILENE XT GREEN 2lb test.That P line is suppose to be good to.

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:05 PM »
"hey baby what smells like fish" I usually get slapped but thats one of my better lines
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.