Author Topic: foggy shanty  (Read 2635 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
foggy shanty
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:42 PM »
I have a fish trap guide. The other day it was cold and windy so I spent a little extra time in the shanty with the heater going. The windows got all fogged. The problem with that is I couldn't see my tipups :-\ If I wipe the windows down with rainx will it prevent that from happening ??? Any suggestions :)

Offline doogie494

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I told you, you'ld know!!!
Re: foggy shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:24 PM »
i am not sure if rainx has a anti fogging element or not but we used to wipe our helmet sheilds with spit and helped quite a bit.

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective!- Ted Nugent

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:26 PM »
I have this anti-fog solution thi i use for my Paintball mask. it should work for any plastic though. check local paintball suppliers or Gander Mt.. Dicks sports.

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:33 PM »
all you gotta use is some diluted baby shampoo i use to use it in my hockey face mask worked great

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Just don't breath ;D

I get the same thing...I really don't think there is a solution that is not high maintenance!

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:17 AM »
all you gotta use is some diluted baby shampoo i use to use it in my hockey face mask worked great
may be this is a silly question but when are you appling the diluted shampoo ??? I was assuming when you first set up :-\

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:31 PM »
It's a little dumb, but shaving cream works on a bathroom mirror, rub it on and let it dry. cheap and easy. A more dificult, but good way, is a piece of pvc pipe across the top of the window with some small holes so the cold dry air can fall against the window. At least one end of the pipe has to go outside.

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:37 AM »
It's a little dumb, but shaving cream works on a bathroom mirror, rub it on and let it dry. cheap and easy. A more dificult, but good way, is a piece of pvc pipe across the top of the window with some small holes so the cold dry air can fall against the window. At least one end of the pipe has to go outside.

I have tried the shaving cream thing and it does work. I used the cheap "barbosol" stuff from wal mart that is like 94 cents, works great for me.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:13 PM »
thats propane for ya. anyways rain ex makes an anti fog product but i could not tell you how well it works just that i have seen it.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:18 PM »
I have a fish trap guide. The other day it was cold and windy so I spent a little extra time in the shanty with the heater going. The windows got all fogged. The problem with that is I couldn't see my tipups :-\ If I wipe the windows down with rainx will it prevent that from happening ??? Any suggestions :)
Time to invest in Tip-Up pagers! I have four, and they rock! Work up to 500 or 600 feet away. No need for lights at night, they come with a red light as a feature!. No taking your eyes off fish in the hole, or the end of your rod which results in missed fish.
Set the traps, activate the pagers and get to fishing! No hassle, no worry. Just a timely notification that a gator needs a hook set! :tipup:
No longer worry about shanty fog.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Time to invest in Tip-Up pagers! I have four, and they rock! Work up to 500 or 600 feet away. No need for lights at night, they come with a red light as a feature!. No taking your eyes off fish in the hole, or the end of your rod which results in missed fish.
Set the traps, activate the pagers and get to fishing! No hassle, no worry. Just a timely notification that a gator needs a hook set! :tipup:
No longer worry about shanty fog.
What do those pagers go for $$ ??? How do you differentiate in daylight..I suppose you could just look for the flag  ??? Is there a brand name that I can google 8)

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:44 PM »
That's the trouble with propane. If you could vent the exhaust outside, which is mostly water, you wouldn't have that problem. I have never heard of the shaving cream trick, I'll have to give it a try.
Steve

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:50 PM »
What do those pagers go for $$ ??? How do you differentiate in daylight..I suppose you could just look for the flag  ??? Is there a brand name that I can google 8)

I thought the Strike Sensors were kind of pricey. I found this one for $14.99 and just ordered it today : Arctic Siren 

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Be careful if you do eliminated the fogging problem. The fogging occurs because there is an abnormal concentration of carbon monoxide present.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Be careful if you do eliminated the fogging problem. The fogging occurs because there is an abnormal concentration of carbon monoxide present.

The fogging in the shanty is not caused by an abnormal concentration of carbon monoxide. The fogging in this case is caused by cool air hitting a warm surface or warm air hitting a cool surface.
It's not a bad idea to keep the vents open as it will help prevent the fogging and as Lobes said prevent the build up of carbon monoxide.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:06 PM »
I thought the Strike Sensors were kind of pricey. I found this one for $14.99 and just ordered it today : Arctic Siren 

Strike sensors are the brand I use, and yes, during the day you look for the flag, and at night, the red light. The reciever is the most expensive component, I think it came with one transmitter. Then I purchased three more seperate trnsmitters for about 22.50 each. Could be wrong on that as I did find some at the bargain cave at Cabelas at 70% off. If you Google it, you should find more info. The price will continue to fall as competition and years pass.
There are buss switch settings so if someone else is on your frequency, you can switch.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:33 PM »
The old meter readers at Consumers Power used to take bar hand soap and wash there glasses and then rub the surplus off, it worked for glasses.  Probably the same as shaving cream.

Offline GIGPIG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:35 PM »
just got a new canvas enclosure made for my boat this year.The guy that made it "gave" me a spray product that when applied to the window portions keeps it fog free. First night I took the boat out I had to unzip front windows to see. Applied to windows & it works great. Did you check with fish trap to see if they had any suggestions? I was warned with my boat enclosures that certain products would turn plastic yellow. I' ll have to do some research as my "Yukon" had the same fogging problem the other day.

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:37 PM »
This may seem a bit extreme, but you might find the effort worth the pay-off. Remove the stitching from the 2 sides and the top of the windows. Sew in some velcro strips and now you have a window that you can open. This is also a good ventilator and makes temperature control easy. When I want to check for flags 300 light years away, a clean view is sweeeeeeet! :tipup: :tipup:
<br />img

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:49 AM »
Try putting your heat source closer to the floor or on the floor, get a little battery operated fan and put it up in the ceiling. Or find some small  candles or cans of Sterno to put in the window area .
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.