Author Topic: Willow Slough  (Read 15452 times)

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
Willow Slough
« on: Jan 19, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Checked the east end of the lake today drilled 3 holes out about 20 yards from the shore. About 2 1/2 inches of ice, needs about 2 or 3 more good cold nights and will be good to anywere good weed cover every where should be good for some nice gills this year.  :thumbsup:

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willow Slough
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2007, 04:52 PM »
where is willow slough.

2 1/2 is the most Ive heard of for indiana. We were out fishing on 1 7/8 inches today.

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Right on the Illinois and Indiana line in Newton county near the town of Morocco. You got more guts then I, fishing on less then 2 inches. good luck and be safe.

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I've been wondering about the Slough,  haven't had the time to get up there.  I was planning on going Sunday, to check it out.  You are right about the gills, over the summer the wife and I were catching them up to 10 1/2" (redear).  The pike should be good also, caught some in the fall, the biggest was 28".

Devan's first Large Mouth        Skilar's first Large Mouth through the ice
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day...Teach him to fish, feed him for a life time...
In Loving Memory of Roy H. Leach Sr., 3/14/4

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:40 PM »
I've heard there are some nice bluegills in there, is there any merit to this or is someone lying to me? Thinking about heading up there and trying it out sunday if the ice is truely 2 1/2 inches! I'm at Purdue, so its about 50 minute drive. It's about the closest thing i can find that has any size to it. Can't wait to see that first fish on the vexilar!!!!!!!!! It's been a long time!
Women want me, fish fear me!

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:10 PM »
I was going to check the thickness of the ice.  If the ice is 3" or more maybe I'll try to fish.  I didn't mean to sound like I was going fishing Sunday.  I walked out on the holding pool at work last night, the ice was poppin and cracking under me (did not feel safe), only 2 1/4".

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day...Teach him to fish, feed him for a life time...

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Looking forward to more posts from here.... Fished it hard 76-83.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:19 PM »
Fishingmachine: Their was 2 1/2 inches of clear ice as far out as I went, not sure how it would be further out as it was cracking and popping while i was walking on it. Like I said I would give it a few more days before I would venture to far out on it. with all the weeds that are their I feel it will be a little weaker then a body of water that had nothing breaking the surface of the ice.  I will check it again on sunday but will probably not go out till next week sometime.  I would say by next weekend it will be good to go anywhere you wanted on the lake, if the cold sticks around. Just my thoughts

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:31 PM »
I forgot about the weeds, just excited about finally getting some ice :clap:.  Have not been up there since they closed for early goose season.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:43 PM »
I've heard there are some nice bluegills in there, is there any merit to this or is someone lying to me? Thinking about heading up there and trying it out sunday if the ice is truely 2 1/2 inches! I'm at Purdue, so its about 50 minute drive. It's about the closest thing i can find that has any size to it. Can't wait to see that first fish on the vexilar!!!!!!!!! It's been a long time!

I can't remember if you are the one I told about the Waterford ponds, big gills in there, I would think they would be frozen.  Have you ever looked into the small lakes off of the Wabash River down by Williamsburg Apartments, we used to catch huge crappie out of there, and there is just about every kind of fish in there, and most are brutes, just be careful there, and I would only fish those when the ice gets thicker, not an early ice spot.  The Purdue powerplant lake has monster gills in it to, best bet is to park at the top of that hill and go down the hill, if you drive back there chances are you will have the Purdue police back to run you off, they will tell you they don't care if you fish back there but they are supposed to run people off for liability reasons.  There is a lake out off of 52, off of a side road, in the summer always looked like a hot spot, hard to fish from shore because of all the pads, I bet that would be a great ice fishing lake.   There are tons of fishing opportunities around Purdue, my last semester at Purdue I think I fished more than I went to class, you have to love the classes that don't require attendence.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Crappie... yep, i'm the one you told those spots to. I gave them a try last year. At the Waterford apartments, I caught a ton of small gills and bass. I also went to the williamsburg on the wabash and fished it for a little bit, but didn't feel too safe as the water level was dropping pretty fast during the short time there was safe ice. I only caught some big shad out of there. My buddy and i were run off the cooling plant you are talking about. So all in all, I didn't have too good of luck at the spots, although I really appreciate the help! I'll definately give them a second try if the ice gets thick enough, which shouldn't be more than a couple more days hopefully! Can't wait! Goodluck, hope everyone gets on ice somewhere this week!

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:42 PM »
where is willow slough.

2 1/2 is the most Ive heard of for Indiana. We were out fishing on 1 7/8 inches today.

The lake is called J.C. Murphy Lake.  West side of Indiana, about 1 hour 30 min. south of U.S.30.

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Just called up there. The main office said they have 3 inches! Looks like I'm going ice fishing in the morning!!!

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Good luck and watch out for springs at the hil,l if open.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:12 PM »
Felt good to get on the ice, their was a good 3 inches of clear ice off the hill today didn't kill em but was able to ice a few nice gills. After about 3 hours of nothing put the camera down and started to pick up fish, super lite bite wouldn't have know it with out the camera. definitely a lot of nice gills 8 to 9 inches had several up to the hole only to get off. the smaller the hook the better it seemed to work, just hard to get a good hook set, owell lots of fun regardless.  Will be back in the morning to try that early bite.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Where is everyone going on the lake from, by the Wardens station, or down that mud road on the other side of the lake?
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Fished this morning, but got a late start. Took almost 2 hours to get up there due to the snow, which normally only takes 1 hour max. Got out around 8 am, sunrise 7am. There were a lot of guys out already, a couple had a dozen or so gills on the ice. According to everyone I talked to, the bite slowed way down just when I was getting there. Set two tip ups for Pike, and did some jigging with a #16 jig and bee moth. Managed to catch 15 gills in 3 hours keeping 8 that were 8". Had one flag and it ended up being a 14" bass. Overall it was great to get out and get enough gills for a couple meals! Ice was barely 3". With the 4 inches of snow on top, i'm not expecting it to make much ice this week  >:( goodluck and tight lines!

Offline Enich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:39 PM »
Finfanatic and I fished the Slough from 1pm to dark on Saturday - 1.5 to 3inches of good ice.  No snow and clear ice on Saturday so the fish were very spooky but we managed 9 gills and 1 redear that measured about 11 inches (nice fish) right at dark

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:04 PM »
Is the 25 limit on gills still in effect?  I heard that the state was going to keep that limit on for awhile after it was opened back up.  Its a 3 1/2 hr drive for me.

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Walleyedan: yes, the limit is 25 total fish in any combination Gills,Redear,crappie. it appears that it will remain that for some time to come.

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2007, 04:50 PM »
walleyedan, I believe they plan on keeping the limit permanent. if you are planning on going up ther, PM me, I have fished that lake for many years.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline BUZZARD33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:11 AM »
Looking for an updated Ice thickness?Anymore since last weekend?Any week spots ?People fishing the main lake or Morman Hill ? Heading out Friday thanks for any help

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2007, 02:28 PM »
Buzzard, if you call up there, they can let you know how the ice is. I'm heading up there Thursday, so I can let you know how I do. It was 3" on Sunday and it hasn't been above freezing since then. I'm hoping it's about 4" by now, just depends on how much of that snow melted. Most people I saw were fishing the Hill. There were a few brave souls walking all the way across the lake over the deeper channels, which I wouldn't do yet. Goodluck!

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2007, 04:33 PM »
I`m debating on heading up there myself, I`ll be in all black with the iceshanty.com beanie,,,, and oh yaaa.. bringin the woman too...LOL.. say Hey if ya out there...  ( oh ya,, she`ll be in camo so noone can see her..lmao)

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:22 AM »
haven't had a chance to check on the ice all week, been busy. Any reports on how the ice is holding do to the snow cover, plan on hitting it hard this weekend if the ice is still good. Want to work the edges of the ditches had good luck their last week end.

Offline fishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live and Work to Fish
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:47 AM »
 :tipup:
Just spoke to the good folks at Willow Slough. They say the lake has been fished for the last week and they have 4 inches of solid ice.

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2007, 11:05 AM »
Fishingfool;Thanks for the information. looks like its going to be another great weekend of putting gills on the ice.;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2007, 04:20 PM »
I was there yesterday, good 4'' to 4.5" of ice where I was, only there for 1 hour, no bites. Talked to a guy that works for me, he caught his limit in 45 min. around 4:00 pm Thursday.

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2007, 06:46 PM »
didn't get out till around 3:30 fished until about 5:00 caught about 20 gills only keep 8 nice bulls. will be back again tomorrow. about 4 1/2 ice where is was. heard that a couple guys went in out on the flats. must have went across one of the springs. with the temps getting down tonight and all day tomorrow should end up with some 5+ inch ice in areas. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Brmcc74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2007, 03:04 PM »
What "springs" are you guys talking about?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.