New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Pike fishing  (Read 1904 times)

Offline bigbear138

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYSDEC needs a big change.
Pike fishing
« on: Jan 18, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Just wondering what size and type of hooks people use, when ice fishing for pike.  Also what is your favorite bait for pike.
Stop complaining do something about it.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pike fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2007, 05:02 PM »
i use a size 6 hook and big suckers. dont forget the steel leader.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:05 PM »
For real big pike I agree with the suckers, but for fooling around on lakes like Adirondack I usually go with medium shiners on an Eagle Claw leader with #6's.  Also, I have used trebles in the past with the minnow hooked through the back ... doesn't make much difference with pike since they suck it pretty deep usually anyway.

But yeah, don't forget the wire leader, or you won't be fishing very long.

While we're at it, what's the general pike bait preference around here?  I've used shiners and suckers both, but I've never found a good reason to pay the premium price for suckers when medium/large golden shiners seem to work just as well.  Just check what they're eating when you gut em.  Usually shiners and baby perch or similar are what's in the ones I keep.  There just aren't big enough populations of suckers in some Adk lakes to make it a main food source that they're used to.

Just my 2 cents. Interested to hear from others.

Offline marshbuster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Any day not fishing is a waste
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Large sized shinners bait on treble hooks, and no matter what anyone says do not drop the steel
Days get shorter nights get longer, ice gets thicker life gets better.

Offline jennsater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:36 PM »
i agree w/marsh hunter...better hook set..

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:03 PM »
i agree w/marsh hunter...better hook set..

I agree with the steel but My bait of choice is smelt .
I seem to have better luck with them .

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:08 PM »
#00 or #0 five of diamonds with a strip of belly meat off a laker...works for me...
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline ice yeti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:37 AM »
I like medium to large size golden shiners on #6 treble hooks.  I always use a steel leader.  I use South Bend 8" 12 lb Invisa Leaders.  I like the light leaders because they are lower visability and don't mess with the baits natural action much.  You can also put a short mono leader between the steel and your tipup line, you might get a few more bites.  The steel leader is critical though or you will get bit off more often than not.

Offline jmh8098

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2007, 02:50 AM »
You ever see the suckers run up the brooks in the spring time?  There are a lot more suckers out there than you think in the Adks, big ones too, I've been suprised a few times.  And big pike 15 lbs+ (anything under 15lbs is small in my book) eat big bait like 12 inch perch and 12 inch suckers, when I fish pike (very seldom) I fish the biggest bait I cant get my hands on.

billybono

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:31 AM »
#6  for the main and # 8 for the front red trebles on a quickstrike rig made with red 15 pound wire

billybono

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:16 AM »
 #6 trebles with the biggest shiners iI can find :o I like the shorter steel leaders as the don't get frayed as quickly and I don't have to change them as often. I personally have never had much luck w/ suckers for Northerns.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:42 AM »
The first year I ice fished, I was using #2 trebles with steel.  I proably iced close to 50 pike, and only missed 2 or 3.  I have worked my way down to #6's, and the only difference I find is that I can hook the occasional jack perch with a 6.  Last time out I used heavy Flourocarbon leaders, and I had the most flags all season.  Just tie up a bunch of extras so you can change them when you see abrasion.  I'm not giving up on steel, but I like the results so far.  I use shiners around 5".  I haven't mastered making quick-strikes yet, but I've tried a few times and they do work. 
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I use #10 red trebels, and 12lb mono leaders. I've NEVER been bit off like every one above has said. I've iced hundreds of pike, and never had been bit off.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline mike3169

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:26 PM »
i use #6 with med shinners and i use 14# mono NO steel

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:58 PM »
I get dozen med golden shinners to start with, then start jigin for perch to use as bait. If you haven't ever used them I suggest trying it on a tip up here and there I don't think you will be disapointed. As far as riging them,  a 3 foot peice of 30 lb mono is what I go with  #4 or 6 trebles depending on the size of the perch and hook them in the tail. I started fishing with this guy a couple years ago for pike and he thought I was nuts, he used big suckers, steel leaders the whole nine yards , now I got him on 30 lb mono and perch. Suckers and shiners work great if that is all you have but those 4-8 inch perch pike inhale, especialy if you hang them right under the ice in 2-8 fow, they are so out of place and an easy meal that they eat on a regular basis.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:39 PM »
I havent ice fished for pike that much but i am not a fan of steel leaders i use a 12 lb fireline leader tough to deal with in the cold but that is what i use and it seems to result in more flags than my friends with the steel leaders I have been bit off not often though   at first i was using 6 lb mono leaders because thats how i caught pickerel . I did find out that pike require much heavier equipment. I had the most luck on the biggest bait  i could get 8-10" even some 12"   assorted bait . Some big shiners some suckers, creek chubs, horned dace. I personally find live bait to be better but some swear by dead bait. #6 red trebles.   I have wondered about perch... Im going to give it a shot I can catch alot of 5-6 inch perch and with the bait issue as it is I will be able to use it there. I would have a hard time using an 8-10" perch though kids expect perch when i get home from the ice

Offline Flagstealer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love pike!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:41 PM »
Drop the steel, Marshbuster!!  :D

#1 hook on a regular steel leader on 30# braided Tip-up line. Catch tons of pike and wouldn't even consider 'dropping the steel!'
I love pike!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2007, 05:13 AM »
I'm a big fan of quick-strike rigs. I use size 10 hooks with bait in the 4-6" range, size 8 for 6-8" and size 6 for bigger shiners if I can find them.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:53 PM »
One point about steel leaders.  The clasps that come with most of them are a problem.  I have had a few of them pop open when they scrape against the side of hole.  Needless to say they immediately bent open and my hook and fish were gone.  I buy bargain leaders (at least 30 lb.) but I put a heavy-duty berkley cross-lock clasp on them.  I sometimes have to use pliers to get these open, and I've never had them fail on the ice.  that's one advantage to tying the flouro leaders - less hardware to worry about.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.