Author Topic: Got Ice???  (Read 4579 times)

Offline bellmontwrestling

• IceShanty Rookie
Got Ice???
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:49 AM »
Just wanted to start a thread on current ice conditions.  It was too dark to tell on my pond when I left for work today.  I do believe I saw one pond on the way to work that looked to be locked up. 

Offline hillbilly hank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Got Ice???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:17 AM »
no ice started on my pond yet as of 0600 this morn. but got a heck of a second pond started from the over flow of all this rain.......

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:44 AM »
part of our channel locked up and skim starting on the south side...level is way up though from all that rain...need some snow and cold temps to give the top a jump start

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:44 AM »
All the ponds from Fort Wayne to Dekalb High school are wide open as of 730 this morning.  It didnt get that cold last night.   The wind was blowing pretty good too.  This sucks!!!!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:40 AM »
The wind was too much for my pond... >:(...only ice around the edges.  Made a trip to Plymouth this morning and saw mostly open water.  Some small protected areas were froze over.  Hopefully this front moves out and the wind will lay down a bit.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:32 PM »
It is looking promising at the "honey hole"

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:29 PM »
Mine is freezing up right now...no wind and it will be COLD tonight!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Rico.....How 'bout that "honey hole"? With all this rain, is that bus floating? ;D Looking forward to hookin' up with ya for a crappie fest!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:04 PM »
My pond is freezing as I write this!  Can't wait!    :)
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Fish-trap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Hey gang, been awhile since I've been around but I know of a certain shallow lake around me that froze up last night. We got hit hard with the snow, but it shouldn't be long now......

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:37 PM »
The pond is officially frozen over...although a fat ass squirrel would most likely get soaked if it tried to jerk some lips right now.......

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:01 PM »
 Got about 2 feet here now. And of course about 2 feet of snow as well. Fishing is slow but what the heck, a person is fishing eh. Pack a shovel,a lunch,and a bit of bait, jammer into 4x4 and away you go. No panfish  but the pike  all start at about 2#s. Life is good. Wood stove in the shack cooks great. Last meal was yams, potatoes, onions ,mushrooms, carrots ,onions,garlic seasoned and foil fried in real butter,served with a generous portion of porkchops and maple beans.  A dozen or so hits and no phones. I repeat: Life is good. Here's to everyone having a great season.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:54 AM »
Rico.....How 'bout that "honey hole"? With all this rain, is that bus floating? ;D Looking forward to hookin' up with ya for a crappie fest!
LOL...No, the bus is still there.  The rain has my pet beaver pretty frustrated.  He has built two back-up dams in front of his main one.  And the "Honey Hole" is still loosing water out the south end.  The lane is flooded in the low area just before you get to the bus.  Hopefully she is locked up right now.  Just give me a call!!!!!

Offline hillbilly hank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:02 AM »
i had no ice on the pond last night. BUT this morn @0615 was froze over !! but very thin its a start !!
 i will check to see if back water and some lakes in my area tonight after work are starting  to get any hard water yet. i bet some of the channels are starting to lock up..  ;D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:46 AM »
It was an awesome sight to watch as my pond froze over last evening.  Started to skim on the east edge at about 5:00pm.  Went out at 8:30 and it was completely frozen over!   YAHOOOOOO.....

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:46 PM »

FYI Guys,
                     My pond in G-town is locked up...... hopefully it won't be long .....
                     Weather to stay cold............ Per Skilling,we now have a Canadian High blocker
                     which is finally causing the jet stream to come out of the north,he said the trend
                     will continue....... :D :D :D :D
                                                   jhc

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2007, 02:50 PM »
my channel has has almost an inch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      if it stays stays nice and cold.......... i will be fishin real soon!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2007, 03:33 PM »
All my ponds are frozen over but i can't spend much time out there checking as I've got walking pneumonia. >:(  Been sick for over a week now. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon. It would be just my luck that we finally have good ice and I can't go out!  >:( :'(

I see the predicted high today was over the mark so maybe the low tonight will get even colder than predicted. Wish we had some snow cover on the ground here though to keep high temps down.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Got 3/4" in my neck of the woods ::)

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:27 PM »
I checked 2 ponds today that were open yesterday, 1 inch on them today.              Ron
Bobberstop

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2007, 02:04 AM »

Gentlemen, It won't be much longer !!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:46 AM »
Had an inch this morning.  But today's forecasted high is 38.  That scares me.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:32 AM »
Had an inch this morning.  But today's forecasted high is 38.  That scares me.

After an initial drop of a few degrees after dark the temperature actually climbed a few degrees during the night!  >:( >:( >:(
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:07 AM »
Most importantly hope your feeling better tax 1!  That stuff is no fun!
Kinda worried my self, just saw 20-40 mph winds on friday. if they don't lock up tonight some might open up.
so close...yet so far
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:47 AM »
About an inch and a half this morning off the end of the dock.  I stepped on it and almost went through.  It doesn't seem to be very strong.  Also had about 3 ft of open water around the edge of the beach. 

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:20 AM »
Hello evryone! I checked a couple of channels last night. One was partly open and the other was completely covered. Maybe about an inch of ice. I'm going back out today to check it again. It didn't get very cold last night but it was below freezing (mid 20's a believe). I will let you know when and if I can get it on.

chris (noble county)

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Summit was about 30% locked up,but after last nights west winds,it tore it all up :'(...........Im totally depressed,
                 Jimmy

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:34 PM »
Hey guys!!! I walked out on Clear Lake west bay today.  I made it about 10 yards with about a inch and half.  Gave up on it after that.  It was pretty good ice.  I am guessing some of the channels and stuff up there have about 2 inches or pretty close.  They got about a inch of snow last night.  I am thinking about giving it a chance tommarow.  I have a cottage on snow lake so I am thinking about Spragues.  Dont know though.  Anybody checked any ice up there in Steuben county today besides me???

Offline nelsonk44215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Me and Hardy went out today to check a few spots. We went to crane marsh but the shore line wasn't good enough to get out on it, then we drove but north snow bay and all the fingers had ice on them, we then went out to silver lake in Michigan and we were able to walk around on a channel out there with a little less then 2". Pretty much all the channels and some smaller lakes are locked up but i think we will need at least 1 or 2 more day before we will be able to get out there without going for a swim.

Nelson

Offline gillgetter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Out today and checked chain-o-lakes 3/4to 1" but could not get on any of the lakes. Went to tri-lakes and they were all open today,yesterday they were closed. Wind last night was hard on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.