Author Topic: Michigan ice fishing this week  (Read 745 times)

Offline weidner21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Michigan ice fishing this week
« on: Jan 15, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Me and my uncle are  headed up to northern Michigan thursday night to do a few days of ice fishing on lake houghton and was just wondering  if anyone has ever fishing the lake before...if anyone has could you please give me some info on areas and baits that worked good for crappie gills and perch.....we called there today and they have 4-5" of good ice and are having cold nights up there so im hoping for about 7"  when we get there....any info would be appreciated...thanks weidner21

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Michigan ice fishing this week
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:28 AM »
I have fished Houghton lake a couple of times. I always fished it in a boat and went up river a good ways for walleye fishing. I have talked to many ice anglers up that way that always seem to struggle on that lake. It is a very popular lake when it comes to ice fishing. You won't have any trouble finding fish. Just look for shanty towns on the lake. You could also consider going another hour and a half to Burt lake. I went last year and caught a lot of perch and some walleye.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:51 AM »
I fished that lake a couple times in years past.  I did ok a couple times and a couple times we didnt bring back a fish.  It is going to be hard to find fish if you cant drive out on the ice.  The lake is huge and the hike can be miles.  Last year all my buddies that fished that lake didnt do very well.  It is fishing though you never know.  I have heard burt lake is good though too.  I am thinking about going up there this weekend.  I just havent decided where I am going to go.  I think that there will be ice closer to indiana by this weekend.  I may not have to drive all the way up there. Anybody got any ideas????

Yogi

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:59 AM »
If the ice is clear, then you will need to locate weed beds to find the fish. Like ealier stated, look for the shanty towns.
Good Luck! :tipup:

Offline Yello-Sno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:41 PM »
My boss has a cottage on Higgins lake near houghton. I'll get the scoop on ice there. I't may not be good news though. Another friend with a cottage in land O lakes Wi near the U.P. said no ice till North of green Bay. I'm down here just s. of lake Mich. & still praying for ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.