Author Topic: Panhandle Reports  (Read 8686 times)

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
Panhandle Reports
« on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:14 AM »
I took my first ever ice fishing trip yesterday afternoon.  With out any ice experience, and only information being what I have gained from this site and others, I went up to Bridgeport SRA for a couple of hours.  I really only wanted to test out my auger, but I did manage 3 quick stocker trout.  Still not good ice on the west ends of the lakes there, but the east ends had 8-9" of pretty clear ice.

I also heard that there were 8-10" up on Box Butte and Smith before it got really cold, so it should be really solid now.  Also there was 8" on the other Smith Lake on Crescent Lake NWR before it got really cold.

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
Re: Panhandle Reports
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:05 PM »
Sweet! congrats on your first fish thru the ice!

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:59 PM »
Thanks for the report, SnipeHtr. Good to have another western Nebraskan on the forum.

Took my family to camp at Bridgeport for a couple of nights last summer. Love that place, except for the darned trains that kept me up all night!

Lots of ice in the northern Panhandle. Went to the Chadron City Dams for a few hours yesterday with my son and pulled up a lot of dinky bluegill.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Bridgeport is always good for me because it is close and usually good for a fish at any time of the year.  Those little trout are fun, but does anyone have any pointers for perch or walleye places/set-ups.  Anyone fish up at Crescent Lake NWR?  Any infor is appreciated

Offline LtlPhl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:30 PM »
I am headed fishing somewhere tomorrow,thinking probably little Smith.I will report back,anybody have any new reports?P.M. if you like... :) :) :)Great to see some more Nebraskans,we need to get all the icefishermen that were on the old g&p forum on here.

There is no such thing as a bad day fishing

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:06 AM »
I always hear about people fishing Boardmans up at Meritt, Does anyone fish the Powderhown area in the winter?  Seems like there would be some good panfish (and maybe the lost walleye) up there.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2007, 11:29 AM »
I always hear about people fishing Boardmans up at Meritt, Does anyone fish the Powderhown area in the winter?  Seems like there would be some good panfish (and maybe the lost walleye) up there.

I moved up here to the Heart City about 4 yrs ago and have yet to icefish the Powderhorn.  The reason being is because its plumb full of springs that cause very dangerous conditions.  Even I think itd be a hell of a place to fish but I cant find anyone gutsy enough to go in there with me.  Though I have heard of pple going back in there.  I just heard of someone going back in there this week, though I cant confirm that for sure. If you feel it necessarry take every precaution and definately dont go it alone.  Id probly not go in there with out someone whos had some experience in that part of the lake as well.  We had a good snow that covered the ice that has since meltd and refroze 3-4" thick, covering any chance youd have of visibly seeing any indication of a spring.  So as tempting as it may be to fish unchartered waters I cant personally recomend it.  If you got into trouble there would likey be noone else anywhere near to give you a hand

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I was thinking that was probably the case, but it never hurts to ask.  The panfish are great up there during the summer and I can usually snag a walleye is a couple of places, so I thought "Why not though the ice?"  Not drowning is a good enough reason for me. 

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Hey LtlPhl, did you make it up to Smith . . . You didn't sound encouraging in the other forum.  Was just wondering if I should head that way to fish, another way to fish, or up that way to try the geese on last time.

Anyone else have any recent reports?

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Went to Smith on Wednesday and fished the west end with my son. Bite was the slowest that it's ever been for me. Did manage to land a few nice gills near sundown, but most of our catches were finger-sized perch. Had some tip-ups set with larger bait, but no flags.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline LtlPhl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:47 PM »
We fished at the Smith on the refuge and it was less than spectacular.I caght alot of 12 inch bass which was fun and a few med sized gills.I think we are headed to the other Smith at Rushville Sat.we did well there a couple weeks ago.

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Fished Smith on the Refuge from aobut 2-4:30 on Saturday after a little goose hunting on the river.  Ice was about 12-13".  Caught 8 fish total, 3 nice perch (10"-11") and 4 smaller perch that I threw back, plus one little bass.  Lost one nicer fish on a tip up, but not sure what it was.  Not really sure if that is good or not but it was fun.  Final total: 3 perch and 2 geese; ended up being a decent day.

Offline TMFLDEM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:31 PM »
now do you count the fish as a bonus to a hunting trip or the geese a bonus to a fishing trip ;)?

Im december i would count the fish as a bonus to a goose hunt but now the geese would be a bonus to the fishing..

I havent shot a goose for 2 weeks. Strange coincidence, thats how long we have had ice around here ;) ;D..

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Hi Huskers.  I used to live in Neb. and fish the Cresent Refuge.  I don't remember the names of the lakes exactly.  I used to fish the bigger lake on the south end of the refuge.  I remember it had a fishing dock on the south end and I think an old barge that was used for a dock on the west end.  Is that Smith or am I totally off?  I would like to visit that area again, we caught some monster gills in there and some nice perch.  Thanks, Mike.

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:57 PM »
The lake you are talking about is Island Lake, Smith is on the west side of the refuge.  Island was killed off in 2005 to get rid of a bunch of rough fish, and restocked sometime last year.  The guys that work up there told me that the fish in Island probably aren't up to any decent size as of yet.

TMFLDEM, I think I am going to count the geese as the bonus to a fishing trip.  Normally I still have a couple of good goose hunts in January, but this year has been kind of weird for waterfowl.  So I think this weekend I am going to have to finally say goodbye completely to the geese and put in some more time on the ice . . .now my only question is where?  Anyone got any reports or ideas? ;D

Offline TMFLDEM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2007, 04:18 PM »
not much for reports, but the fish are still going hard at Swanson from what i hear, its almost unbearable i havent made it down there this year, but hopefully soon ;)

Offline LtlPhl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:46 PM »
We didn't make Smith last sat.with the snow coming in we stayed close to home and fished a private pond and caught some really nice bluegills.I will probably be fishing sandpits around here while we have good ice and head north when the ice gets unsafe down here.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:29 PM »
You're right, it was Island that I was thinking about, thanks.  Too bad they had to kill off the lake.  Did they net some of the fish at least to move them somewhere else?  There were some super nice fish in there.  The gills I caught were the biggest I have ever seen and one day I saw a guy with a bucket full of huge perch and 2 6+ lb. walleyes.  I also caught some nice bass out there.  What a shame.

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Its really a shame when you don't know aobut it and then take your dog duck hunting up there.  That was one fishy smelling dog  on the way home.

I think I am heading to one of the Smiths this weekend, unless anyone knows anything about fishing Lake Ogalalla this time of year.  NGPC site says there is 6-7" of ice there, so I was thinking of giving it a shot.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Are you going to the tournament at Smith Sheridan Co. on Saturday?

$30 entry fee.
First place $400 Cabela's gift card.

hawgerdawger has a post on it.

dc

Offline LtlPhl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Lots of water on the ice at Lake Ogallala thanks to the Hydro :'( :'(.there were some decent perch being caught with alot of sorting.I wish I could be at Smith on Sat. but I will be at the sportshow at Denver.That will be a tip up won tourney anyway.I am a Bluegill fisherman so I would not have a prayer with the 10 fish limit but would fish the tourney anyway due to the great cause.

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:50 PM »
Nice to know you're still around, Sandbilly!

Thought I heard on KDUH TV today that there's a tournament at Shell Lake north of Gordon this weekend, but just caught the end of the report. Anyone heard about that one?

Here's the thread about the Smith tournament: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=42527.0

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to make either one. Too many sports things happening at the college this weekend.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:27 AM »
I'm still around. 2 of my boys will be fishing the Smith tourney. I'm helping out that day.

Smith on Sat. Shell Lake tourney on Sun.

dc

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:51 AM »
How were the tourneys, Sandbilly?

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:17 AM »
Was up at Little Smith on the refuge on Saturday.  Ice was 12-14".  Fished on the side of the lake closest to the road, but didnt have much luck.  Not too sure if it was a good day for anyone . . . the guys ont he other side of the lake seemed to be drilling alot of holes.

Sunday afternoon, tried out Oliver.  15" of ice.  Had out a bunch of tip-ups and tried to jig a little on the north side of the lake from 4 to about 15 FOW, but didnt have any takers.  Might try again because I know there is a walleye or two in that lake, just have to find them.

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Tried Oliver yesterday afternoon till about 6:00 or so.  Fished SE cornor of the lake over by the dam using jigs w/ half crawler, and minnows, but didnt have any luck.  Not too sure what the fish populations are like in that lake anymore with the water levels the way they've been last couple of years

Offline LtlPhl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2007, 02:45 PM »
Fished Smith on tues lots of ice and slow fishing.The good news is even wth a huge warm up after this weekend we will be ice fishing for a long time yet.I wouild guess that Smith will easily approach 30".It made ice the whole day we were there and I'm sure it has every day since.There is over 15"on some sandpits aound town that I have never seen more than 6"on.Goose season ends Wed and that means the fish in a certain local pond will be in troble at the end of shooting time.(the pond is a local roost and we can't fish it during season)

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:16 AM »
Sorry for not getting back sooner hawerdawger. Been out of state ice fishing and just getting caught up.

The Sandy Dietrich Benefit Tournament at Smith was very cool. Sandy showed up for weigh-ins and thanked the crowd. Her sincerity touched everyone involved.

30+ entrants and about a dozen kids fished. Don't have a results sheet so going off memory.

1st place went to (first name?) Brandon Anderson from Hay Springs. He weighed a limit of pike and 10 panfish for around 23lbs.

Sandy's son had top honors in the kids division with an 11lb. limit of pike, which turned out the way it should. Thanks to the Bassett G&P all the kids received a very nice packet and I threw in a few other goodies for them.

I think we weighed 5 limits of pike, one 5+lb bass and 3 limits of pan fish for top placers. Most of the pike were caught first thing in the morning. Pan fish bite was slow but most were concentrating on pike.

If I ever receive the photos of the tourney I will post them. As of now the only pics I have are of my 2 sons that finished 2nd and 3rd in the kids division. One had a limit of pan fish with largest bucket of pan fish and largest crappie @ 1lb 10oz. The other had 8 fish and a 1lb 7oz crappie.

Didn't make it to Shell as I pulled a groin hiking around helping out at Smith.

Great day for a very worth while cause.

dc

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2007, 12:55 PM »
Thanks for the great report! Those are some darned nice slabs your boys are holding!

Sounds like you've been getting some good ice time (other than the pulled groin!). S'pose you've been out chasing some lakers, you lucky dog.

I haven't been out much lately. Got blown off Whitney on Sunday shortly after wetting our lines -- nasty day.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:41 AM »
S'pose you've been out chasing some lakers, you lucky dog.

A Nebraska Bow from yesterday.

Two weeks ago we flew to NY and fished a qualifier Ice Team tourney. Met some really great people in western NY that make it a point to tell you WNY atmosphere is much different than in the City. :tipup:

dc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.