Author Topic: I finally bought a vex  (Read 3400 times)

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
I finally bought a vex
« on: Nov 07, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Last year several of us went over to devils lake, ND. A couple of us had vexs(not me), and to make a long story short if you didn't have one you only caught 1 to the other guy's 5 fish. So this year I took the plunge and picked up a fl-18 ultra pack from fleet farm. The unit looks impressive and the auto zoom looks like the cat's meow. Now all I need is some ice!!!  :-\
Any one else using the fl-18?
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:I finally bought a vex
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2003, 09:06 PM »
I imagine a few folks are using one.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2003, 09:38 PM »
I imagine a few folks are using one.

LOL

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2003, 05:52 AM »
I picked up a Fl-18 Pro pack, for this season as well. I tried it out on the boat last weekend, just to get a fel for it beter, I really like the unit, my brother does too. Last year I used my Strikemaster Polar Vision, to gauge depth, its a good unit but its fishing finding capablities are limited. I plan to use both this year. The Polarvision does a great job shooting through icce to get depth, I think the vex would be a pain to use for that. I didnt opt for the ultra pack, I really dont have a need for a rod holder, and tackle box built is as my Fish Trap has space to store those items, plus I carry at least 3 ice rods, with me when I ice fishing in different action. Kinda hard to get all those in that rod holder,lol.

Offline Sturge1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2003, 06:31 AM »
Great! I have been thinking of replacing the Old Fl8 but it keeps on working and reading the Jigs, it has taking a seventy mph ride on the ice with only needing the transducer to be replaced..You will enjoy using the Vex as it takes the game to a new level.
 Sturge

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2003, 08:23 AM »
Congrats on the new purchase! You wont be sorry you bought it, but once you start to use it, youll be sorry you didnt buy it sooner!!! ;D
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

mngonefishing

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2003, 03:09 PM »
I have a fl-8, a few yrs old but still works like a charm. not looking at upgrading it this year. I want to buy a new sled. frostbite i know that you will enjoy it. i did alot. it will change the way you fish. good luck

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2003, 03:14 PM »
You will be glad you have the FL 18.  I am thinking of buying the ultrapack for my FL 8.  I can do without the tackle box on it but I do like the power management it has.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2003, 09:34 AM »
what's a vexilar???  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, congratulations on your purchase - welcome to the "new age of ice fishing" as Dave Genz calls it.  You will find yourself looking at the sport in an entirely new light.  It sounds weird, but everything you do, how you approach the whole game, will change.  It sure did for me.  My whole outlook, strategy, equipment, everything, changed when I bought my FL-8.  I learned it well, then sold it and bought an FL-18 pro-pack for this year.  Can't WAIT to get out on the ice with that bad boy!!!  

mngonefishing

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2003, 11:48 AM »
I was thinking that i would be able to get on the ice next weekend and test out the battery on my vex. the weather doesn't want to cooperate here in st cloud MN. all the ice turned black on friday >:( ???

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2003, 07:41 AM »
Congrats Frostbite,
I was in Cabelas (Hamburg, PA) yesterday and they had the FL-18 ultra pack w/ dual beam for the same price as with the single 12 degree transducer.  I had to buy it! (Even though the wife suggested I wait until Christmas.........I guess she will have to get me something else ;D).

I have ice fished for many years without electronics and am really looking forward to this year with the FL-18.

Whats next........Hmmmmmm... .......Aqua Vu? ;D ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.