Author Topic: camera or flasher  (Read 1749 times)

Offline greenbush

• IceShanty Rookie
camera or flasher
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:02 AM »
If you had enough money to buy one or the other would you buy a camera or flasher? my cmaera started to leak water in so if my fix doesn't work I have to replace.

pcsminer

Re: camera or flasher
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:17 AM »
A few of us guys have talked it over and we are taking what would be our entry fee at regina beach derby and buying a camera. Basically we decided camera because you get to see how the fish are reacting to different jigging and baits. And also we fish tobin and its nice to see how them big pike act.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:24 AM »
This question has been asked a few times on here and I think you are going to find that the answer will be 90% Flasher to 10% camera.

I own both and the flasher is the all around better tool. Cameras are great in certain situations where as flasher you will be able to use at all times, once you get use to them, they to will help you see how fish are reacting to your lure or method...go flasher....go vexilar

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:20 AM »
I'd have to second what Icejunky said.  My son Perch Pounder has had a Vex. FL-18 for 2 winters now, and immediately started to out-fish me worse than ever.  You could see how he'd pull a walleye right off the bottom, tease it up and down, and entice it to bite.  This year he got a camera, and we found that it's use is pretty much limited to relatively clean bottoms in crystal-clear water.  Any turbidity at all limits the distance, weed growth interferes with vision, and current can swing the camera everywhere.  Finally, if there is a heavy snow cover, and the camera is deep, there may not be enough light to get an image on the screen, even if you are in a blacked-out ice shack.  The Vex really is his detector for all ice conditions.

However - if you are fishing in clear, still water, the fish you see at your lure are enough to drive you crazy if they don't bite.  But kids love to watch the screen, it's almost like a video game to them.  Have fun whatever you get!
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:42 AM »
Hello greenbush,

I was pretty much asking myself this same question last week as per my Marcum post.  After much research I opted for the flasher, as others have mentioned,  because it is an all around better tool I believe.  I sometimes fish for lakers that are in 100+ ft.  The max length of many of the cords on the cameras is only 100 ft. and I have heard that even though it will go down that deep, you cannot see anything on your screen anyway.  Also if the water is murky, a flasher will still work, whereas a camera may not.  I think a camera would be a good second option, but if you were only going to buy one...I believe that the flasher is the better option.  I would look at buying a Marcum if I was you...I realize that it is a personal opinion, but from the majority of ice fishing pro's I have listen too, articles I have read, and general user comments, Marcum out performs Vexilar, and they are comparable dollars.

Hope this helps,

shawno  8)

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Greenbush.......just thought  i'd jump in and offer my 2cts. I have both and even though both camera and flasher have their place,if I had to choose it would be the flasher,hands down. I often don't take my scout with me but my flasher(an old Zercom-colorpoint)always goes with me. There are several reasons I don't always use the camera......
....takes longer to set-up
....not always clear picture(dark, murky-water,)
....camera cable can be a pain if fighting fish
....after bringing in a fish, you may have to re-set camera
....battery life is not near as long as flasher(this could be remedied with larger battery,and has been, I understand on some of the newer models)
As I said,this is just my opinion but I think you'll find a lot of people on this forum will agree with me.
Good luck fishing-whatever your decision  :)

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:25 PM »
No doubt...FLASHER!!!!!!!   I am another guy that owns both and today couldnt use the camera due to stained water again.The vex is my best tool fast.. easy ..and precise.Helped me produce once again as the fish were very finicky ( some took about 5 minutes to get hooked up).Cameras are a fun toy and can occasionally serve a useful purpose but for the most part they are just a fun toy.You only see whats in front of the lense not above, behind ,or off to the side.If you dont see the fish its hard to make em strike. SEE IT ALL MAN...FLASHER ALL THE WAY.

Offline bigdog853

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:37 PM »
i saw a guy last weekend at katepwa point with an aquaview it was awesome aggravating at times but awesome so i went on the aquaview site and ordered a scout 50 looks like a pretty good deal just have to wait the 4 to 6 weeks  :'( it was usefull just knowing what was in the area and when

Offline fisherman#9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • LIVE TO FISH,FISH TO LIVE
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:05 AM »
I have a camera and it works awesome,I can see what is down there and what kind of bottom there is.
the aquaview is alot cheaper too. :o
Saskatchewan is the best place to fish!!!!!!

Offline TERRA-MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:39 AM »
My dad got me an aquaview on Ebay  this season and I love it.  It is fun watching the fish  come and check out your bait

Offline Carter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:11 PM »
The only way to go is flasher man! I have the new vexilar fl-20 and would put it up against any other fish locator winter or summer. well that is my opinion and besides how are you supposed to catch suspended fish with a camera that is one of many reasons why you should go flasher!

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:34 PM »
camera will let you see the fish, flasher will help you find and catch fish, but a GPS will help you get to the right spot! Often we spend to much time in the wrong area. Modern GPS, with a lakemap "chip" is a marvelous tool to modern fishing techniques. You can go right to the spot you need to be!

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:12 AM »
Flasher is much more useful.Works well in stained water and shows entire water column.A camera doesn't.Camera's are nice when used simultaneously with a flasher.If you must choose one than without a doubt the flasher.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:06 AM »
If you just want a cheap way to view fish check this thread out. Use the rest of your money to buy a good flasher.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=43301.msg462210#msg462210

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.