Author Topic: BAIT CONTAINERS  (Read 6985 times)

PWR BAIT

BAIT CONTAINERS
« on: Jan 13, 2007, 05:28 AM »
I was in gander mountian the other day and was checking out grubgetter container does anybody use these for their spikes,waxworms ect.If not what do you use out on the ice to keep your bait in?

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: BAIT CONTAINERS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2007, 08:49 AM »
I use the tins that Icebreaker mints come in. They are flat and easy to keep in your pocket and have two openings, one large to fill it and a small one to shake the bait out. Best part is the price. Free after you use the mints.

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:01 AM »
i bought 2 of the lindy grub getter's.one for spikes and the other for mealworms.

Offline OZZY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2007, 06:32 PM »
I use the tins that Icebreaker mints come in. They are flat and easy to keep in your pocket and have two openings, one large to fill it and a small one to shake the bait out. Best part is the price. Free after you use the mints.

When you bring your fish in he should have fresh breath as well!!
I use 35 mm. film canisters or those Skoal Bandit and Bubble Gum canisters  :tipup:

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 04:44 PM »
i use big film container.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:17 PM »
I use and old insulated container made by Thermos.  It is about 4 inches tall and about 4 inches across which is a little big but it is great when you forget to put them back in your pocket on a cold day because they stay insulated from the cold.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:22 PM »
The bait puck works great

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline keithdterry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2007, 03:12 PM »
I was in gander mountain the other day and was checking out grubgetter container does anybody use these for their spikes,waxworms ect.If not what do you use out on the ice to keep your bait in?
I tried the grub getter last year.  I thought it was a little on the big side to fit in a jacket pocket.  Chewing tobacco tins work fairly well.  I bought 2 of the bait pucks this year (too much time fondling ice fishing gear at Gander Mountain, due to lack of ice).  Bait pucks are similar concept to the tobacco tins, just insulated.
No coffee, no peace.  Know coffee, know peace.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:30 PM »
I like the mint container...The lid snaps closed and doesn't open in the fridge...

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 04:48 PM »
The altoid tins are awsome. they dont pop open like the chewing tobacoo cans  :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:40 PM »
Bought 2 small and 1 large Bait Pucks this year and they are great, must have been an ice fisherman what invented them.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2007, 05:18 PM »
skoal containers work great....  just be careful not open the d*mn thing in your pocket!!

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:22 PM »
i use the containers m&m candies come in good snap tops easy to carry.work great

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:54 PM »
i use snuff cans for spikes    grub thing a ma jig  for wax worms  and mealworms  snuff cans fit in my jacket poket and the grubber fits in my bib pockets :tipup:

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2007, 09:58 AM »
i use snuff cans for spikes    grub thing a ma jig  for wax worms  and mealworms  snuff cans fit in my jacket poket and the grubber fits in my bib pockets :tipup:

just make sure u have the right container or u'll have a mouth full of spikes   ;D ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2007, 12:05 PM »
skoal containers work great....  just be careful not open the d*mn thing in your pocket!!
a new meaning to a pinch between the cheek and gum   lol     Oh what the heck   we all have seen bear grillis  or what ever his name is    eat em    good for "vitimins   "  and protein
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I have little mint containers - kinda like altoid ones just a little smaller - good for splitting up a large number of waxies among a few people when we're all moving around.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2007, 12:15 PM »
Ive never really heard of many in maine using waxies   wonder why    I may give it a try this year if I can find some close by
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Ive never really heard of many in maine using waxies   wonder why    I may give it a try this year if I can find some close by

You can raise your own if you are of a mind:
http://www.exotic-pets.eu/waxworms.php

Vados will ship them to you:
http://www.vadosbait.com/index.html

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2007, 06:16 PM »
I was in gander mountian the other day and was checking out grubgetter container does anybody use these for their spikes,waxworms ect.If not what do you use out on the ice to keep your bait in?
I have 2 of them and love them. They seal good and lol they fit perfectly in the top of my extreme bibs. they fit right in between the bibs and sweat suit. Waxys always warm that way you should see the action of a warm waxy. bills and craps love um. ;D ;D ;D
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:33 PM »
A few years ago I pirated a small Tupperware container from the kitchen cabinet (about 3.5" X 3.5"). Poked some holes through the lid with a heated paper clip, and had a perfect bait container for a couple of days fishing. Usually I put about five times more spikes and waxies in there than could possibly be used in a day. Also it has a yellow lid for easier location by tired eyes.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2007, 11:57 PM »
I have used the grub getter myself and liked it alot, at least until my dog ate it!!

Luckily at the end of season and I will picking one up here shortly.

I have used chew tins, nothing better than the smell of some minty waxies to get a guy going  (or fish)  :D

Also, I tried the strikemaster pucks and they work fine.   They are a little thicker and keep things a little warmer, but I keep my tins close to my body so it is not needed.

I like the tupperware idea and will have to try it     

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2007, 07:51 AM »
I have both grub getter which is handy because you just shake them out of the saw dust on one side and are easy to pick out.  The puck has more insulation to it which if your forgetful like me is also a plus.  Like both.

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2007, 01:50 PM »
How about a 55 gal drum duck taped to your belt ;D
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline jomama

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Come on Ice!!!! BAAAAAA
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2007, 04:30 PM »
I would ductape that drum on but the grub getter works fine for me :tipup:
    BAAAA!!!!

Offline CTFishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I like the bait pucks because sometimes I forget my grubs and waxies in my sled after a fishing trip. The pucks keep my baits from freezing  solid and becoming useless.

Plan on trying one of those grub dispensers this season.

Can never have enough ice fishing gizmos and gadgets  :)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Yep I have a small bait puck and a large one for nightcrawlers for summertime, and love them. Waxies in the small ones stay in my fridge for 3+ weeks, which I think is amazing

CSP88

« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Strikemaster now makes the Bait puck in two colors, your choice of red or yellow.  I use one of each color for carrying Spikes and Waxxies. Just a small thing to help you when digging in your pockets looking for a one or the other.

Chad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.