The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Why why why???  (Read 2114 times)

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
Why why why???
« on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:46 PM »
 ??? today i was out fishing and was only able to get two pike, one keeper and one lil guy. Yesterday the action was hot and heavy, why. What was the difference between now and then?, Yesterday it was right around freezing and no snow on the ice, today 0 degrees and it snowed one inch over night. Is weather the culprit today? I did the same thing both days, and i saw the pike on the aqua view today but they looked at the bait and swam away, a total not interested additude. and then before dark i found crappies, tons and tons of them and they would not bite, i tryed a variety of presentations and bait and nothing would happen. I have heard that weather has a lot to do with the action, what are the facts, do you want the barometric pressure raising or falling? And would you think that tommorrow thay will be hungry. Thanks alot 

blake :tipup:

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
Re: Why why why???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:27 PM »
Cold front moved in.  Barometric pressure rose,  Fish shut down.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2007, 11:02 PM »
Same story here :-\

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:32 AM »
always seems, to make a difference wiith snow on ice, especially in clear water.
da splake chaser

Offline DIESELWRENCH2003

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BEST TIME TO FISH-EVERY CHANCE YOU GET
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:47 AM »
   barometric pressure plays a big factor in the bite. they will not bite as gook on a rising barometer. Also bad luck plays a big part in the catch.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2007, 05:55 AM »
Good ole mother nature again playing her roll when and when not to feed don't you hate that confusing isn't it.its like flipping a quarter you don't know when its going to happen.you ever get that feeling sometimes that they are going to bite and they do you go back the next day nil. the way i see it they are feeding somewhere it just might not be that spot ??? ???

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Good ole mother nature again playing her roll when and when not to feed don't you hate that confusing isn't it.its like flipping a quarter you don't know when its going to happen.you ever get that feeling sometimes that they are going to bite and they do you go back the next day nil. the way i see it they are feeding somewhere it just might not be that spot ??? ???

East wind will slow them down, a high barometer will shut them off. If you combine the two you might as well stay home. On the other hand, low pressure and a light west wind usually guarantee fish. Understanding fishing and weather patterns isn't that difficult. Paying attention to what is going on is the most difficult part. Get a weather station for your home and pay attention to it. Mark the barometer and monitor its movement. If it is rising and you have NE wind, you can guess the fish will be tight lipped and holding tight to cover. You then find their preferred cover and use finesse tactics to get the fish in a neutral mood to bite. If the barometer is slowly falling or steady and you have a light NW wind, use a more aggressive approach in the fish's normal feeding habitat. Not everyday on the ice is productive. I have found the best way to be successful is to determine when the bite is on and get my arse on the water. The fish don't care about our schedule so we need to care about their's

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2007, 12:12 PM »
Fished trout (open water) on Thur - fish were just hammering - didn't matter what my buddy and I threw at them - and this was just before that front came in.

UG

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:46 PM »
I had good luck right before the front moved in and like the first post said i was unfortunate the day of the front, thank you for the information guys, i am on a never ending quest to be the best fisherman ever ;) i was out on saturday night and caught a mess of excellent crappies, the temps were up from the prior day and the winds were down. The fish were still hard to get... but i got em. I plan on returning to the Brainerd Lakes area on in two weeks, back at it again. :tipup: blake

Offline taxmancommeth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:10 AM »
As a few guys have said. 

East Winds + Cold Front = Not too many fish

Here is a great tool that I am using for my hunting and will be using for my fishing.  It keeps track of all your hunts / fich and you can see reports associated with what the weather did.  I found the one time we struggled at least to catch fish was when our first real cold snap hit this year.  I saw two dear this year and it was when a mild cold front was a day or so away from approaching.  GameTraxx.com is my new tool in the tackle box...

www.GameTraxx.com

Scott's the name - Ice fishing is the game

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:05 PM »
right before a front come in is usually a good time (although right before a warm front is usually best, right before a cold front can be good)

it's right after a cold front moves through that the bite is toughest
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:09 PM »
You said an interesting thing when you said there was no snow cover on the day that they were hitting but you had snow cover the day they shutdown.
It's a fact that daylight plays a big role in the way that animals react.Decreasing daylight causes hares to change coats ,bucks to rut and I'm sure it plays a role when certian fish feed.
Personaly I do not think that pike eat much in low light conditions and I'm sure I will take some s#*t for that comment but I don't get to many pike after dusk
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2007, 10:50 AM »
You said an interesting thing when you said there was no snow cover on the day that they were hitting but you had snow cover the day they shutdown.
It's a fact that daylight plays a big role in the way that animals react.Decreasing daylight causes hares to change coats ,bucks to rut and I'm sure it plays a role when certian fish feed.
Personaly I do not think that pike eat much in low light conditions and I'm sure I will take some s#*t for that comment but I don't get to many pike after dusk

Good point! Very little light gets through two feet of ice with some snow on it. Since pike are not good low light predators, I always do better on sunny days. Sunny days usually accompany cold fronts and high pressure though, witch contradicts everthing stated above. :-\

I think there is a whole different rule book for pike, they are curios critters. ;)

Gotta love them snot rockets! ;D

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:26 AM »
skipper i am with you on this one, b4 the snow cover came down it was one of those days that it would be very brite one minute and then it would be gloomy the next minute off and on the whole day, and almost every flag/fish we got was when the sun came out from behind the clouds and it was brite. There is no doubt in my mind that pike like to feed in bright conditions better. :tipup: blake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.