Author Topic: transducer cable broke!?! What to do now?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
transducer cable broke!?! What to do now?
« on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Well, I pulled out the winter cone transducer for my x67c a little while ago and noticed that the cord was severed and it didnt work when I plugged it in. What should I do? There is a red and black cord for the battery power, then there is wire on the outside of that which sends the info to the unit itself? Should I try to strip the wires and reconnect them? Or should I just go buy a new transducer. I want to try to avoid that 80 dollar buy!

Any help?

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
Re: transducer cable broke!?! What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:11 PM »
I'm not sure, but if you splice the wires, you may experience some interference issues if you don't have a good connection.  How far up the cable is the cut from the transducer?  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it though since you said it doesn't work anyways.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:17 PM »
use heat shrink if you are going to do this the heat shrink will make the connections water proof......
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:44 AM »
Busler,

I would definately try to reconnect the wires. You can buy small wire-nuts that will give you a tight fit. If you find that the reconnection works, I would take it apart, reconnect the wires using a solder gun and cover the reconnection with a waterproof shrink-tube. There is a waer-proof shrink tube made, different from regular shrink-tubing.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:29 AM »
Solder the connections back together and stagger (Shrink tube each wire) the solder joints so they won't short out against eachother and they won't create a big lump in the cable. Get so of the Heat Shrink tubing with the Glue on the inside. When you heat the tubing the glue will melt and should keep all the water out.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:33 AM »
I was able to get two more years out of my broken Vex cable by splicing it back together and covering it with some plumbers goo.

Offline clamup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2007, 09:00 AM »

Take your cable to Radio Shack and find the correct size quick connector for the cable, add a shrink wrap and its brand new again.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2007, 03:19 PM »
Well i put the electrical tape to her and she works for now and doesnt seem to have any interference. Tested it today at the lake and now all i need is to waterproof it with shrinkwrap as it sounds

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:26 AM »
I have noticed a problem, it doesnt pick anything up but bottom! Every once in a while my jig or minnow will flash on the screen, but it does chart it only once ever few seconds.

maybe i should just buy a new one

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:05 AM »
What is your gain set at?

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:05 AM »
what do you mean by gain, there is no gain on a lowrance, just sensitivity level, is this what you mean. It doesnt pick anything up from 0 to 100%

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:06 PM »
what do you mean by gain, there is no gain on a lowrance, just sensitivity level, is this what you mean. It doesnt pick anything up from 0 to 100%

Ooops, sorry. That doesn't sound good to me. I can buy new transducers for about $50 for the lowrance 102 C in my boat so I would assume this would also be an option for you and maybe a better one than trying to fix your cable...

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:08 PM »
Yea, the transducer from lowrance is about 80 bucks, so I will probably just try messing with it more, than try using my skimmer one if that doesnt work and buy a new one for next season

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Just out of curiosity, how does one break a ducer cable anyway??

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:12 PM »
Not really sure! Pulled it out of storage, and it looks like it was shut in a car door, or like the edge of a car battery fell on it just right to sever it

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:13 AM »
I have noticed a problem, it doesnt pick anything up but bottom! Every once in a while my jig or minnow will flash on the screen, but it does chart it only once ever few seconds.

maybe i should just buy a new one

What kind of depths were you fishing when this was happening?  I had this happen to me once when i was fishing very shallow water, and the jig kept coming in and out of the cone.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:47 AM »
10', with about 3' of weeds, and i was fishing just above them. I could see it on the flasher occationally, but on the graph, nothing

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:43 AM »
Is the ping and chart speed turned all the way up?  maybe try that if it's not.  I would think that the only other thing it could be is a loose connection, but I've been wrong before.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:40 AM »
WOW, EVEN THE SIMULATOR IS MESSED UP! IT LOOKS LIKE THE SNOW ON A BLANK TV CHANNEL

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:44 AM »
Yea, the transducer from lowrance is about 80 bucks, so I will probably just try messing with it more, than try using my skimmer one if that doesnt work and buy a new one for next season
i actually use lowrance, and use the skimmer threaded down a piece of pvc, and then hung from the hole by pvc on top in the shape of a "T". there is nothing wrong with using the skimmer, still works.  i've had lots of trouble with the cable getting separated too, and had to buy a new one every once in a while, but maybe this year i'll look into the shrinkwrap thing to save some $.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:48 AM »
WOW, EVEN THE SIMULATOR IS MESSED UP! IT LOOKS LIKE THE SNOW ON A BLANK TV CHANNEL
it definitely sounds like the cable has shorted out.  i would probably (depending on how bad the break is) just buy a new one or use your skimmer, but this time, put some electrical tape on the weak point where it broke last time (at the point where the cable goes into the unit inlet, i'm willing to bet) to reinforce it and keep excessive stress off of it. hopefully it lasts longer...

Offline rlholmes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SempraFI
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2007, 09:52 PM »
I have patched transducer cables together before and have never experienced any issues. Make sure you solder the wires together and use a liquid wire dip to seal the patch and then use heat shrink to strengthen the area. I did this to a older humminbird I had and it worked.
If you have no clue what you are doing just buy more gear and try to look the part.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.