Author Topic: 110 outdoor floodlighting  (Read 1975 times)

grumpymoe

110 outdoor floodlighting
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:23 PM »
looking for some input on what is the best option for outdoor floods for nightfishing.....alrea dy have the invertor last weekend...lots of batteries (heck, I might even sink the Green Machine if I bring them all out)....any suggestions for the best permanent mount or portable flood that I can hardwire into the GM and work off a conventional light switch?....(low draw and good lighting).....Grump

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: 110 outdoor floodlighting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:34 PM »
looking for some input on what is the best option for outdoor floods for nightfishing.....alrea dy have the invertor last weekend...lots of batteries (heck, I might even sink the Green Machine if I bring them all out)....any suggestions for the best permanent mount or portable flood that I can hardwire into the GM and work off a conventional light switch?....(low draw and good lighting).....Grump

Grump,  I think the lowest wattage/brightest bulbs are going to be the halogen ones.  If you mount a couple of the two headed bulbholders on opposite corners of the GM you could light up pretty much the whole area around the shack.  Put them on two switches so you only turn on what you need to see.

Offline jacc2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:54 PM »
grump, I believe home depot sells a solar rechargeable security light for outdoors like the motion activated ones you see on people's garages and homes.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:22 PM »
If you went with the outdoor rated compact fluorescent lights, you'd never have to worry about draw....
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2007, 12:11 AM »
Thriller how well do the "outdoor" fluorescent bulbs work in the cold?
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Grump I think Brandon is making the Canad Inn take down its moving spot light   ::) Something to consider with your Christmas lights  ;D

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:22 AM »
If you went with the outdoor rated compact fluorescent lights, you'd never have to worry about draw....

I agree.  I have a couple of 23 watt compact fluorescents (100 watt incand.) in my garage, and although they are ordinary household-rated bulbs, not the outdoor variety, they work good down to about -25C.  Just slower to come up bright when it gets colder.  This is their 3rd winter of use with no problems.  Their light isn't focused, though, so seeing a flag beyond maybe 10-15 (?) yards may be difficult.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2007, 12:49 PM »
You could also try outdoor LED fixtures for 12v DC

here is a company from BC Sage Lighting

or what we have done in the past is a simple switch (3 bucks at Princess auto) and an old sealed beam head light on a custom made bracket.  Get your head light and wiring for 15-20 bucks at a Wreckers out of any model clunker you like (Pick-up preferred because of the ease of removal and larger sized light).  That way you don't have to worry about climate or moisture.

Just remember even if you get brand new wire make sure you come home from the wreckers with the wiring harness or else you'll be going back for it.

And while you are at Princess auto buy some reflective tape for the flags on your tip-ups.
Ian Kirby

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Yo bud. You planning to light up all of Lake dauphin ;) ;) ;) ;) To much time on your hands bud.  ;) ;) ;)
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:50 PM »
I use the outdoor compact floresent flood lights on the house  3 winter also  start a bit slow  but light up fine  after a bit believe they are 14 watts so should not a super draw on the inverter Ill try one out on a battery for the heck of it see how long it lasts   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:38 PM »
Thriller how well do the "outdoor" fluorescent bulbs work in the cold?

I think you've got a couple testimonials...I don't have them yet, waiting for my outdoor lights to burn out first, but my neighbour has one on the front pretty much on all the time...relatively bright.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline rainbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:06 PM »
GeneratorGenerator  :o  :o   You can pick one up{ Portable }at wallyworld for 150. $$$ Will light up Dauphin Lake For those nitetime  ;)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:04 PM »
ran the compact floresent light on a 450 watt inverter (with fan) for 30 hrs using a regular marine rechargable 12 vt battery  light pulled 10 watts
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:56 AM »
Are you talking about those bulbs that you screw in? I bought one for here at work, it works good for the most part, it is a yellow one so it isn't the brightist, and it still worked in the extreme cold we've had in the last little while, just not as bright.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.