Author Topic: Does the moons phases effect fishing?  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Logan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Ling King"
Does the moons phases effect fishing?
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:18 PM »
So like it reads, do you think the moon phases REALLY effect the outcome of your fishing trip much? and or the activity of the fish?

I myself dont think much into it, I have had good days and bad days that seem to be totally random, day when the fish were nuts on or close to a full moon and then the next full moon nadda..... I just dont see it  :-\
My wife told me that if I go ice fishing again she'll leave me. God, I'm going to miss her! :D

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
Re: Does the moons phases effect fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:32 PM »
So like it reads, do you think the moon phases REALLY effect the outcome of your fishing trip much? and or the activity of the fish?

I myself dont think much into it, I have had good days and bad days that seem to be totally random, day when the fish were nuts on or close to a full moon and then the next full moon nadda..... I just dont see it  :-\

You better believe it

The feeding habits of all fish are based on moon light or there preys correlation with moon light

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Cold-Foot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bound the bottom !!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Yea, I have to go with all the guys that say (YES) it does make a difference. Most of the BEST FISHING TIMES given in magazines as so on use the moon as a guide. That don't mean it can't be good fishing with no moon just more likely better around a full moon. For a working guy like myself, anytime I can get out is a good time to fish.
a little jiggle never hurts

Offline outdoorman18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:52 PM »
yes i would have to agree also that the moon phases do make a difference.....in my opinion more importantly is the barometric pressure.....the lower the pressure the better the catch

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2007, 07:13 PM »
I never really thought much of it.  I have kept log books for yrs.  I read once in in-fisherman mag that 80+% of all record fish were caught between 3 days before and after a full moon.  So on a day with nothing much to do I decided to look up my largest fish.  Lo and behold almost all of my biggest fish were caught in that 7 day strecth.  Didn't matter if it was a bass pike perch or walleye!  I plan vacation time around the moon phase now!!!  The waether still has to be right.......like having ice.........lol.  My friend caught the largest laker of his life just before the center of a hurricane went through nh 2 days before the full moon.  was it the weather extreme?  was it the moon phase?  he caught that laker in JULY IN LESS THAN 20 FT OF WATER!!!!!!!  Doesn't hurt to be lucky either!
BUD

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Moon phases, im not too sure about.  For the records that I have kept, it hasnt made much of a difference..if any at all.  I think that the weather affects fishing more.  Such as fronts comming and going kinda thing.  Any opinions?
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:00 AM »
i have a moon phase/best fishing day screen on my GPS and it seems to be fairly accurate 3 or 4 days before and after full moon. early morning always seems to be better.
da splake chaser

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:04 AM »
yes i would have to agree also that the moon phases do make a difference.....in my opinion more importantly is the barometric pressure.....

My favorite time to fish is around the full moon with some cloud cover and a dropping barometer. I'll fish anytime, though.
 8)

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:16 AM »
I tried to pay attention to all that stuff then I realized that tournaments don't lol you can control some factors when you fish for fun but if you fish competion you learn to fish the fish I actually prefer to fish the new moon right at dusk that is the only time the fish have any time to see this is the optimal time to me caught more 4lb. + fish in a new moon than any time

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:14 AM »
Logan
This should answer your question .

www.moonconnection.com/moon_phase_fishing.phtml

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:09 AM »
I can guarantee you moon phases will be a huge factor. Especially if you find yourself spending more time howling at the moon than actually fishing!

::) ???  ???  :-\  ;D  :D  :D  :D

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Last year I did a lot of ling fishing after dark.  I noticed that the moon light made a big difference especially on partly cloudy nights.  When the clouds blocked the moonlight, things were usually slow.  But as soon as the clouds broke open and the moonlight hit the ice, it seemed like I would get a bunch of flags.  When the skys were clear, however, fishing was usually good but I would not get the huge rush of flags like when the moon came from behind the clouds.  I never skipped fishing when there was no moon out but I really get excited if I am heading out on a full moon.

Walltrout

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:23 AM »
before i go fishing I always check the etrex to see what it has to stay

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:03 PM »
ill fish nights during a full moon but dont bother during the day unless a front comes in and stirs them up. very slow fishing a few days before to a few days after a full moon.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Fish activity is not determined by the Moon Phases...it is determined by High & Low presures :o

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:30 PM »
You have to get out there with the mindset that all the fish want to eat and be caught.  There are definitely down times, but I've yet to have a day on the ice when I've been completely skunked.  I find the best times to catch fish are when I'm out there giving it a shot.
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:48 PM »
ask any expert. moon phases as well as pressue changes affect the bite. a high pressure system in place during a few days before and after a full moon is a bust unless a low pres moves in. its next to impossible to catch anything unless you fish nights. thats the way it works around here. i can fish bluebird days and stil ice fish as long as its not around the full moon. the bite is usually hot at night during these times. thats what ive learned from my experiences.

Offline beagledogxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:28 PM »
To me, weather always supercedes the moon....but when I have a day off, that usually supercedes everything else.  In other words, when I have a day off, I'm not going to let the farmers almanac, the moon, pluto, the neighbors dog or anything else deter me from going...except maybe my wife...I'm not stupid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.