Author Topic: Lake Simcoe Overnight Trip: BACK ON!!!  (Read 1672 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Lake Simcoe Overnight Trip: BACK ON!!!
« on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Well I waited as long as I could, a few months back I booked an overnight trip to Simcoe, 5 guys, and dreams of jumbo perch. After listening to the wives tell us the trip would not happen for the past few weeks I finally made the call today. The Operater said we were best to re-book for Feb, but the fishing is usually no where near as hot in feb as it is in Jan......

Whats your thoughts guys, How is the fishing usually on Simcoe in Feb, should I rebook, or get back my deposit and wait till next year for the First ice jumbos

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
Re: Lake Simcoe Overnight Trip: CANCELLED
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:57 PM »
I fished simcoe for a few winters (lived in the area)and the best bite seemed to be
 early ice but the guys that really knew the lake(Kempenfelt bay area) caught jumbos in Feb.If you are going to be in that area call Simcoe bait and tackle.They run a local derby and if you ask about the big fish on the contest board and when they were caught it might help you out
Good luck(hope there is even ice on the lake)
There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline Road Toad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2007, 06:53 AM »
I fish Cooks Bay all winter and yes Jan. is better but Feb. works good to in the early morning and mid afternoon.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2007, 07:04 AM »
Early ice has good fishing due to the higher dissolved oxygen content of the water. With the ice the oxygen content levels are lowered and the fishes metabolism slows, so less feeding goes on. Late ice brings on the thaws with a fresh run of stream waters with higher oxygen levels and the metabolism goes up, the feed starts up and the catching goes up. Mid winter fishing causes the fish to move higher in the water column and the fish will move up and nearer to shore where the oxygen levels are more desirable.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Lake Simcoe Overnight Trip: BACK ON!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2007, 08:43 PM »
made the call and rebooked the overnight trip to Simcoe. We ended up getting the weekend of the 27th of Jan. This cold weather is making things look good..lets hope it holds on

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2007, 11:48 PM »
i suspect ill be fishing before next weekend on simcoe... Im hoping moslty
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Road Toad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2007, 10:33 AM »
I was at the Gilford shore line on sat. the only ice was in the cooler bag for the beer >:( >:( >:( ;D

Offline Road Toad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:28 PM »
I'll keep my Ice Shanty flag on the sleigh, I don't think the hut will be out but we will be in Cook's Bay waiting for Germ to walk over :D

Offline Nuke Ab

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they're there,....... we'll get'm up!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2007, 07:29 PM »
say it aint so...........RT please keep us posted, I just can't wait!!

cheers,
Chad
Tight lines!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:59 AM »
No ice as of today. It is ready ice over but a few steady nights of double negitive temps is what we need. Susposed to go down to -16C tonight in Barrie. I need the Big Bay Point area to freeze so I can get out for Lakers and Whities.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:46 PM »
WOnt be to long before im walking over:>:> ICe up accross today on the south part of the lake near ravenshow road.. SO... and i think its out  a fair distance ill take a pic tommorow of the lake and see but i bet by next week im fishing perch grounds!!! ANyhow Tight lines and hope the cold stays:>:
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.