Author Topic: Need a Spud  (Read 1965 times)

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need a Spud
« on: Dec 28, 2006, 12:21 PM »
Since I've started taking my son out, I've put a renewed emphasis on safety. I don't have a spud, but it's next on my wish list. I won't be chiseling out many holes, but just want a good tool for checking ice thickness and strength. I'm wanting to keep it small, so my top considerations, in order, are the Strikemaster Bucket Chisel (24 inches), Jiffy Mini Mille Lacs Ice Chisel (30 inches), or the Lakco Deluxe Ice Chisel (35-62 inches). Are they big enough? Here's a description of each http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=Page%3A+%2FDefault.asp+KW+Box&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=ice+chisel

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
Re: Need a Spud
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2006, 12:32 PM »
I've used a modified tamping bar for 15 years.  It is still working great. Buy one with a wide blade (2 to 3 inches) and cut it down to the size you want.  3.5 feet is enough and it will still ride in the sled.  I welded a loop in the end to tie a rope to.  Every year I just run it across the grinder and it's good to go,

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

trapperdirk

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2006, 04:44 PM »
I have the 52" jiffy one and it works great .  ;)

TD

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2006, 06:06 PM »
any one with a welder can make one out of scrap pieces for very little . they work great piece of pipe for a shaft

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys. Went to the local farm supply store looking for a tamping bar. Found one, but noticed a 10-pound "pinch point bar" next to it for less money. Took it to the ponds last night to try it out and it seems to work just great. It didn't take many whacks to put a hole in the ice.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2006, 05:32 PM »
My father in law has one build from a portion of truck leaf spring.  Add a piece of pipe and you have a heavy duty spud that will last years.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I need to cut mine down a tad...

mine is 7 feet long, made out of 1 1/4 inch coated rebar with a 3/8 inch thick by 2 inch by 8 inch piece of flat stock notched and welded in place.  Darn thing is almost as heavy as I am!!  Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2006, 05:55 PM »
i just got the lacko two piece spud.i like it just fine.it has some heft to it.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2006, 06:06 PM »
 my spud bar is made of a 1 1/2inch black iron pipe with splitting mawl wedge welded to the end of it.Itsabout 4 to5 ft long with a  black iron T welded and piece of small rope through the T you dont have to put much effort when spudding works good.its kinda heavy

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Wifelets dad made mine....

He took a shaft out of a old IH combine - welded on a slab of 5/16" steel plate, slapped it
up to a grinder and - eureka! Ice chisel!

Added a loop of rope and away we go. Painted IH tractor red - you can help but see it laying
in/on the snow.

3 good wacks or or less and the ice is too thin!

UG

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:30 PM »
Before 07 is over I will own a Jiffy 30"
I use my jiffy Chipper dipper to clean up the manual auger holes but the 30" chisel would be delux.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2007, 06:02 AM »
our welder at work made me one for 5 bucks out of 1" pipe stock, works great.
da splake chaser

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:27 PM »
If no t exists at the handle, I would suggest to put some rope around / through it and loop it around your wrist. If it ever goes through and you are not paying attention you may loose it. I used to use a large pri-bar that had no t on it and it weighed a ton. One stab at the ice and you could get right through several inches. Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.