New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I found ice!!  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
I found ice!!
« on: Dec 28, 2006, 06:47 AM »
There is a small local lake that is fully covered, it has had ice for weeks and never melted. The shore isn't good yet (10') but it was only 27F up there yesterday and should be below freezing the rest of the week there especially overnight.

I did the rock test on it and out further it didn't even make a dent ;D. I may try there Saturday with some planks if the shore doesn't firm up. I wonder how much ice it will make if it is below freezing till Saturday???

Robb :tipup:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: I found ice!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2006, 06:54 AM »
Good luck ... use caution on that new ice !

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:07 AM »
With the day time highs were there at I don't think anything will make walkable ice in the local area. I mean I think it will be making some ice out there but not enough to go from open water to walkable ice in 2-3 days. I would bring the plank robb.
Now small bodies of water in the central ADK area may be worth a seriuos look this weekend.
I'm thinking about spending some gas money to take the drive north myself.
If temps stay stable till sat I bet you'll get about 1-1.5".
Our holding ponds at the shop here were open yesterday and put on 1/4 inch last night in Schdy.......will it hold????

Wellsy

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:13 AM »
With the day time highs were there at I don't think anything will make walkable ice in the local area. I mean I think it will be making some ice out there but not enough to go from open water to walkable ice in 2-3 days. I would bring the plank robb.
Now small bodies of water in the central ADK area may be worth a seriuos look this weekend.
I'm thinking about spending some gas money to take the drive north myself.
If temps stay stable till sat I bet you'll get about 1-1.5".
Our holding ponds at the shop here were open yesterday and put on 1/4 inch last night in Schdy.......will it hold????

Wellsy

Hey Wellsy,

The daytime highs up there will be below freezing, just barely, so it should make ice 24hrs. It already had 3/4" near shore and definately way more out further. We'll see. I have a couple other plans to think about as well.

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:31 AM »
Thats right, you are a few miles north of me here in scumnectady.
Sounds like your chances might be pretty good. I will let you know what the north country holds when I get up there this weekend.
By the way did you get that PM I sent you last week???

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:33 AM »
Robb there are a couple of good bets for the weekend if the weather-idiots forecasts are right?
They have teased us with forecasts like this before and wammo another heat wave!
I again am optimistic!
Are you talking about the place you mentioned in pm?

Don't forget the PFD :D

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:55 AM »
Thats right, you are a few miles north of me here in scumnectady.
Sounds like your chances might be pretty good. I will let you know what the north country holds when I get up there this weekend.
By the way did you get that PM I sent you last week???
We need a scouting mission up north. I know there has to be somewhere with safe ice in the "NORTH" area. Yep I got it congrats on the new KING QUAD, plenty of HP to move on the ice!!
Robb there are a couple of good bets for the weekend if the weather-idiots forecasts are right?
They have teased us with forecasts like this before and wammo another heat wave!
I again am optimistic!
Are you talking about the place you mentioned in pm?

Don't forget the PFD :D

Yep! How about you? PM me maybe we can do one or the other. I made some fresh venison burgers and italian sausage patties.
Here is the forecast for the NORTH.
Today

Slight Chc
Snow
Hi 33°F   Tonight

Slight Chc
Snow
Lo 16°F   Friday

Mostly
Sunny
Hi 31°F   Friday
Night

Partly
Cloudy
Lo 20°F   Saturday

Slight Chc
Snow
Hi 32°F   Saturday
Night

Mostly
Clear
Lo 20°F   Sunday

Mostly
Sunny
Hi 30°F   Sunday
Night

Partly
Cloudy
Lo 20°F   NewYear's
Day

Wintry
Mix
Hi 32

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2006, 08:27 AM »
its a maricle
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2006, 09:42 AM »
I just picked up some bait for this weekend  :thumbsup:  Some of the smaller sheltered ponds up here have 2-3 inches and it is suppose to be around 0 tonight :clap: :clap:  If the damn wind would stop blowing the bigger lakes might set up tonight ???   Becarefull everyone  :o

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2006, 09:51 AM »
 :clap: :thumbsup: :woot:  :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline slabster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2006, 11:41 AM »
how do i find these bodies of water? im from the watertown area but i need to go fishing what species and where if you all dont mind out of towners comin up for some quality ice fishing no good outlook for ice here so this year im traveling thanx if i get some info if not its all good i understand..lol

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2006, 11:50 AM »
good too here ya should be walkin on water....... a lake i fish in high altitude should have some ice on it now i just dont feel like driving 2 hours t ofind it capped but with 1-3 inches of ice cuz then i cant open water fish it either........ i believe most guys should be ice fishing pretty soon....... hey robb if u do go out try and get some pictures for us bro.... thanks  ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2006, 12:08 PM »
how do i find these bodies of water? im from the watertown area but i need to go fishing what species and where if you all dont mind out of towners comin up for some quality ice fishing no good outlook for ice here so this year im traveling thanx if i get some info if not its all good i understand..lol

Local knowledge....... I live about a 1/2 hour from this lake (about 4 hrs from watertown), it's very small maybe 20acres so I would rather not share the location with the whole world. Plus it only has pickerel and perch in it and nothing very big, it's just a place to go cut some holes... Maybe...

I think there should be some small lakes and ponds in the Northern adack's closer to Watertown with ice???

good too here ya should be walkin on water....... a lake i fish in high altitude should have some ice on it now i just dont feel like driving 2 hours t ofind it capped but with 1-3 inches of ice cuz then i cant open water fish it either........ i believe most guys should be ice fishing pretty soon....... hey robb if u do go out try and get some pictures for us bro.... thanks  ;D

If I go it will be on Saturday and I will definately post pics!

Offline paullytip-up

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing is not a hobby, its a way of life
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2006, 12:25 PM »
keep your fingers crossed men, i have no problem spending my new years on ice!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.