New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: out board motars in the cold  (Read 600 times)

PWR BAIT

out board motars in the cold
« on: Dec 27, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I have never used my boat this late in the year what do you do with your out board motars to keep lower units from freezing up. I keep my boat in garage and keep the motar tilted down  is there any thing else you guys do to make sure lower unit dont freeze any info would help thanks.   PWR BAIT

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: out board motars in the cold
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2006, 07:55 PM »
Check your gear oil. If it’s white you have water coming in. you need a new seal or Check the gaskets that fit over the two screws that you take off to drain your gear oil. Many times this is your water problem too not the seal. If you’re motor is over 15 yrs old its good insurance to have a new seal put on. in this weather it wont take much to crack your gear housing if you have water in it.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Check your gear oil. If it’s white you have water coming in. you need a new seal or Check the gaskets that fit over the two screws that you take off to drain your gear oil. Many times this is your water problem too not the seal. If you’re motor is over 15 yrs old its good insurance to have a new seal put on. in this weather it wont take much to crack your gear housing if you have water in it.
my motars only a 1 1/2years old just wondering if i should run it a little after i take it out of water so the water is not in unit. i keep it in garage not heated is it wise to run it a little pump the water out?

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2006, 10:19 PM »
The lower unit is seperate from the rest of the motor and its a sealed unit. As far as the water for the cooling, it all drains out when you pull the boat out of the water. Running your motor out of the water will damage your water pump. Not going fishing can cause personal distress. I say go freeze your butt off for a couple of hours, then come in and warm up and do it again. Your brain will be froze and forget all that pre-season stress that you are going through.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.