Author Topic: MISIDENTIFICATION ON THE ICE  (Read 4145 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
MISIDENTIFICATION ON THE ICE
« on: Dec 27, 2006, 01:12 PM »
OK....THIS ONE IS FUNNY.

My dad is a worrier...to say the least, about ice fishing at night.  I don't know why.  But my brother and I were out on Christmas Day and had a nice flurry of walleye action right at sundown and stayed to see how long the bite would last and finish up the Makers Mark I got for Christmas.  So my dad sees us packing up the bourbon and starts in about drinking and driving and safety (rightly so).  Keeping in mind I'm a generous guy on the ice with food, bait, booze, etc. we met some nice folks on the ice that afternoon.  So it's dark and we hear some cleats coming out in the ice...no big deal.  Then someone says loudly  "Boys!  You doing any good?"  And 2 guys (about the only other 2 out there) say "Yeah..we got some little ones and a few pike on the tip ups"  and this guys goes "On the one you got for Christmas??"  and there's a pause.  And then I hear a confused "Uhhh....no....on my Frabils"  I thought 'that's cool...I got a tip up for Christmas too'.   Then mystery man  says "How long you guys going to fish?"  The 2 guys near us answered "we're going to give it a few hours probably"  and the guy says "OK...I just don't want you guys coming banging into the house hammered at 1 AM and getting those dogs all riled up"  Now...silence.  Finally one says "What dogs??"  And the guy says..."Very funny...you heard me.  And the cops are out in full force so no monkey business and no bars on the way home!!"  Finally, it dawns on me...these guys are in a Frabil 3-man like I have and are fishing right off the ramp I'm parked at.  My dad thought he was talking to us and admonishing some guys we had met earlier.  So we come out yelling "Dad!  Is that you??"   He said "Boys??  Are you way out there??"  We are DYING laughing along with the other 2 guys and we finally stop long enough to say "Jesus dad...you are losing it!"  And he said "Your mother sent me for some cool whip so I stopped on my way back...you heard me about the booze and the dogs!!" and stomped away.  The guys to the inside of us were stifling some laughter and as soon as they heard dad's car door slam they lose it.  We had a good laugh on the way in (and finished off the bourbon with them)  and they were like "god he had us afraid to come in drunk...we just had no idea who the he!! it was!!!"  Classic.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: MISIDENTIFICATION ON THE ICE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2006, 01:55 PM »
So how tall was good ol dad feeling when you got home ?lol

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:26 PM »
OOps!  Good one.  I've seen people wander all over a lake looking for their friends before, checking at each shanty.  Must have got very bad directions.  "I'll be on the lake in my shanty, come on out"!!!

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:34 PM »
lol....We told him "that bay just north of where we used to vacation"   Then he tells me "Well, I saw that Frabil and that's exactly what you have"  Uh huh....those crazy folk over at Frabil may have decided to make more than one of those to try and turn a profit...or whatever it is Ben Still says in Meet the Parents.

BTW - Love the dog pic.  Took my Wiemenraner onto the ice for the first time ever (she's only 2).  She was fine until the first pop and then got a little freaked out.  But half as bad as my wife though.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Lmao you just wrote the opening scene to grumpy old men 3.  ;D ;D ;D
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Funny story. Boji you live up at the lakes? It would be great to live up there for most of the year, but during the summer no thanks. I been catching a few fish, nothing special.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2006, 10:11 AM »
I grew up there...live in NE Nebraska now.  Folks still live up there on the lake though.  And you got...not a big fan of the area for the big holidays in the summer.  To many idiots on the water.  Ice seems flush out the die hards and the water is sooo clear you can see rock piles and subtle structure way off to the sides so it's a great time to break out the GPS and put in good waypoints for the spring.  There are just a lot of choices as far as species, locations, style of fishing, etc.  One thing that is harder is only 2 lines allowed in Iowa.  We use 5 lines in NE and I'm a tipups for large pike and walleye guy.  I like jigging on a hot perch or gill bite (I guess who doesn't huh?).  We saw some BIG jumbos and slabs under us last weekend but could not get them to bite.  Buzz sticks, droppers on Buckshots, small raps and minow heads....you name it, I jigged it.  Missed a sherman tank of a northern...went to check the tipup and pulled it out of the hole, checked for depth and weeds and when I stuck my face in that hole there was about a 15 pound northern sitting right there.  CHub tail had some tooth marks on it so I quick reset it, watched it for 20 minutes as the sun went down.  Started cleaning up to pack out and I got sniped.  Hopefully this weekend will be a toothy festival.  We have enough ice now out here now we just need to get some water clarity.  We could see down 30 feet in west boji and some lakes out here you can't see 3.  You ever get up to the IGL's, send me a pm and I'll give you my cell.  Since I don't live there full time and don't mind company on the ice I normally share any success (or lackthereof) information.  If you go up there, try Shucks or Stans for good report info.  They normally can steer you to at least a pannie bite somewhere.  Good luck.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I loved it.  I think because I resemble that story.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2006, 10:24 PM »
I loved it.  I think because I resemble that story.
LoL oldbear. Now we have are 1st scene and are first new character for grumpy old man 3
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2007, 03:17 PM »
haha that is great :D
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch