The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Minnow Counts.....opinions please!!!  (Read 3172 times)

Offline KD O

• IceShanty Rookie
Minnow Counts.....opinions please!!!
« on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:54 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had a customer come in, never seen him before.
Wanted 4 dozen minnows for a perch fishing trip to St. Clair tomorrow.

I dipped my usual.....about 36-42 minnows.....and dumped them in his bucket.

He said "you gotta be kidding....that's 1 dozen???"

I said "no sir, that's 3-4 dozen, and that's what you get for a dozen at $2.99."

He said his place near St. Clair usually gives him 70-80 for $2.00, but they were out.
I told him that my dip is generous, and I've never had any complaints.

He said, "well maybe it's because I spend all my money at his store for ice shanties, augers, etc....I've never been here and now I know why"

I said...."maybe so, but I give the same dip to everyone, more or less, and haven't heard any complaints".

He said, "Well, never mind, and I ain't paying all that money for a dozen minnows".

I handed him the bucket with the minnows I had already dipped and said here ya go....they're on the house.....Merry Christmas.

SO.......is 3 dozen a decent dip???

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Minnow Counts.....opinions please!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:55 PM »
id pay 2.99$ for 3-4 dozen minnows, that seems about the normal
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Sounds like a good count to me.  Don't worry about it and in business you should know theirs all kinds. 

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:15 PM »
local place sells the perch minnows for like 1.50 a dozen and gives u about 3 dozen  for that price but not always.. depending on the person scooping them.... I you ask for 3 dozen you get about 4 dozen lol       hey man u are ok in my book.....

Offline gmalicoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I should be so lucky.  My local bait shop, which I goto about 2-3 times a week on average doesnt treat anyone that well.  I have actually seen a couple of the women there counting minnows in the net to make sure it is close to 12.  This bait shop is convenient for me so I keep going back, but it aggravates me watching them sit there and count the minnows to no end.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Thoreau

Wall: 1
Earnhardt: 0

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:20 PM »
I have seen that to   hate that

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Hmmmm, tell ya what KD, I'll push him in for ya on my drive by tonight!

Don't sweat it, like they said, you deal with "the public" your gonna get all kinds.

I'd say your dip was middle of the road. Now pray for ice so I got a reason to come over there and meet ya!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:29 PM »
yea defiently sounds good to me...

Offline Crappiekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I sure wouldn't have a problem paying that price.  Seems to be the going price from what I've seen around town.  So what did this guy say when you gave him the minnow's KD.  If it was a good response, he'll be back.  If not, just remember one of us other members might be the next one through door.  Don't sweat it that's for sure!!!!!!!!  Good luck!
Crappiekiller

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:32 PM »
what i dont get is your paying for a dozen. that means 12. if i got 13 id be happy its still more than im paying for

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2006, 08:40 PM »
Add me to the list of expecting to get what I pay for. Ask for a dozen get a dozen.
You were more than generous in my book.

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2006, 08:41 PM »
Where exactly is this baitshop you run???....so ill i gotta do is come in and cause a ruckus to get some free minnows???...lol....jkjk ill pay for my minnows...and yea what was his reaction to his free minnows...?

Offline gordify

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:33 PM »
Oh boy, I would be a bad buisness man. I would have kicked that cheap SOB in the butt and lost everything. I respect people like you who don't lose their minds dealing with #@$holes. Seriously, we're talking a dollar. Like the old saying goes, If you have to ask how much it cost, you can't afford it.

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:01 PM »
I rarely buy live bait... but I'm with the guys who expect to get what they pay for.  On the rare occasion I do buy minnows I've seen them counted one by one and I've also seen the generous scoopers.
I would be impressed with your scoop.  He was just trying to get MORE something for nothing.  Seems to me a business doesn't want or need customers like that.  Let him take the permanent walk and feel good about it.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:32 AM »
Maybe instead of pricing them by the dozen you should price by the scoop. A scoop being the 36 to 42 you now give for perch minnows and adjusting the count for the larger baits...
FTD

pinche

« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:48 AM »
I have only been to your store twice , both times were to get minnows. The number of minnows I got from your shop was similar to the number I get from my regular shop. I wouldnt sweat it.

walleyechaser

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:11 AM »
Yeah KD.  Since you've taken over the store I've noticed tremendous improvement both in the quality and quantity of your live bait.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Theres always people trying to get something for nothing.
Now if we could just get some ice.

flockshot

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:08 AM »
ive noticed the same thing as chaser.. personally i wouldnt want more the 40 in my bucket at one time...thats just asking for a minnow massacre. lol. i would rather get a decent amount that will live longer then 100 that 50 are gonna die by the time i get to st.claire..i wouldnt sweat it.  the other thing ive noticed that you guys do that no one else does is take the dead minnows out on a very regualar basis. nothing bugs me more then getting 4 dead minnows in a bucket while im still at the bait shop!! you can never please everybody. shoot when i worked at bass pro i cant count the amount of times when people asked "is that ALL you got?" hmm..the second biggest outdoor store in the state, and your still not happy? lol.

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2006, 02:36 PM »
hey is your shop near kent lake?
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

flockshot

« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2006, 02:42 PM »
no his shop is on m-59 in waterford. near pontiac lake. and the airport.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:25 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dipped my usual.....about 36-42 minnows.....and dumped them in his bucket.

/quote]

WOW, when I ask for a dozen I get about 18 or so...  I now trap my own, but 36-42 sounds very generous...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.