Author Topic: KEEPING MINNOWS ALIVE  (Read 9280 times)

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
KEEPING MINNOWS ALIVE
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 04:52 PM »
does anyone have any tips on how to keep bait alive for long time periods??? i have a container, 60"x35"x24" it holds quite a bit of water. i have it filtered properly and aerated. i have some shiners in there now, and some fatheads in a fishbag. with the minnow trouble ahead i thought it would be smart to get a jump on the bait gathering. i like to pike fish so i need a good amount bait i like suckers and shiners, but some ideas for dead bait is also appreciated. thanx!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: KEEPING MINNOWS ALIVE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out already ;)  Don't feed them, their waste will put a lot of amonia in the water. If the water starts to get cloudy or stinks, change 1/2 out. I keep my tank in the shed, the colder the water, the better. On the coldest nights, I'll hang a drop light just off the surface of the water to keep it from freezing on me...

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I have about 75 shiners on my back porch in a big flower pot. I just went to wal mart and bought an AQUARIUM FILTER. I havn't had a single one die on my yet, the water got cloudy so I bought some clear water treatment and put some drops in this morning. lets hope that doesnt make them all croak!  :o

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2006, 06:22 PM »
Being filtered does no good unless the water is well established with beneficial bacteria. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks to establish a proper cycle. Read this if interested : http://www.bluecrayfish.com/cycle.htm  its from my own personal site.

There is a tremendously great product that I use in my bait shop to eliminate that waiting period. Basiclly just add it to the water. I kept my "system" going all summer and fall and litterally put hundreds of pounds of bait through it without other than incidental losses. Its the same product that Gander mountain uses in their system.

The product is called  Microbe lift. Just google that, and you will find more info plus places to buy it.

Without using it, plus weekly water changes, you will lose bait.

If possible, you can also use a constant water flow into and out of your tank and forget the filter. I highly recommend getting a carbon filter and trickle the water into the tank with a overflow. You have chlorine in your water ( I know because I lived near you once ) and the filter will take most, ( but not all ) of the chlorine out.

The other method is to use home made bait buckets and cages. If you can find a safe, kid free stream, then you are in. My basic design is a bucket with holes drilled in it exept the bottom four inches. This allows water to stay in the bucket when you pull it out of the water. I use a small rock to keep the bucket on the bottom of the creek inside the bucket. I also use 55 gallon drums and the same concept. I got lucky and found ones with snap tops.Wood framed cages and screens would be more expencive, but well worth the effort. You can find "plastic screen"  at aquatic eco systems I did my homework, so here ya go : http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/3139

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:46 PM »
Not sure what type of water you are using, but do not use your tap water, all the chemicals in the water will kill the minnows. I would go down and get some river water or water from the lake.  Then it sounds like you have the rest down.
 :tipup:

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:33 AM »
I use an old washer drum to hold minnows.  This drum is placed in a small, spring feed stream.  Constant clean, fresh, cold water.  Really works well for me.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:18 AM »
sounds like you have a good setup to me. If you keep it ina basement or somewhere cool, thats better also
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline R J Taylor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:36 AM »
does anyone have any tips on how to keep bait alive for long time periods??? i have a container, 60"x35"x24" it holds quite a bit of water. i have it filtered properly and aerated. i have some shiners in there now, and some fatheads in a fishbag. with the minnow trouble ahead i thought it would be smart to get a jump on the bait gathering. i like to pike fish so i need a good amount bait i like suckers and shiners, but some ideas for dead bait is also appreciated. thanx!

maybe the water is getting to warm?  add some ice

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:04 AM »
I made a setup with a $9.95 plastic 4 legged laundry tub which has a drain in the bottom.  Then I bought a $9.95 low volume outdoor  aquarium  pump that people use for landscape.  Then drilled holes in the upper part of some 4"pvc pipe with a hose coming out of the pump in the pvc and mounted on the side of the tub which shoots the water back into the tub.  Recirculation must be the key plus change water about once a week.  Also I use tap water but have it sit out in buckets before I change for several days.  I keep it in the basement so its about 65 degrees all year.  As an experiment I threw leechs  in there also and they did just fine.  Keeps my bait year round which I'm surprised with the temperature not being colder.  Once in awhile I give them some goldfish flakes.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:46 AM »
Ive had my tank going for 6 months now with about 750 minnows     expect poor results till you build up the necessary bacteria in the tank  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38275.0
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:38 AM »
I add a capfull of Hydrogen Peroxide to the water every few  days.
From what I have read and what I have tried personally it adds disolved Oxygen to the water and may provide some antiseptic properties.

Towards the end of last season I began adding a capful to my baitbucket before a long trip also. It seemed to keep more fishies lively longer.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:42 AM »
I add a capfull of Hydrogen Peroxide to the water every few  days.
From what I have read and what I have tried personally it adds disolved Oxygen to the water and may provide some antiseptic properties.

Towards the end of last season I began adding a capful to my baitbucket before a long trip also. It seemed to keep more fishies lively longer.
Interesting havent thought much about that asa usually only can get 2-3% soulution Ive used the salt   because that deals with the ammonia and the slimecoat they need
I also keep an airpump going when I take them to the lake  and run it while there   a couple d cell batteries last the whole season

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:12 AM »
Here is one of my set ups. I have used this for about 5 years now. All I keep is fat head minnows, 6to 8 doz. For crappie, Walleye, Northern. I use tap water, but I do let it sit for a couple of days if possible. If not I treat the water with chlorine remover.  I use the Wal Mart 20-40 Aqua-Tech water filter. I use a bubbler, I have a small suction cup heater I put in if the water starts to freeze. The Key is to keep the water as cold as possible. The       water will stay this clear all winter. I will change out 5-10 gals of water every once in awhile. Sometimes I feed them goldfish flakes. But usually they volunteer before that happens.
  l

Offline ratherbefishon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Ha thats a really cool rig. I have an aqurium but i just need to find a bait store. Any one know of any in Southern maine. Im committed to making a drive if i have to
Flags are a beutiful site.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Not sure what type of water you are using, but do not use your tap water, all the chemicals in the water will kill the minnows. I would go down and get some river water or water from the lake.  Then it sounds like you have the rest down.
 :tipup:

I don't know about that... I run a shop here in CT, we usually have 75 lbs of shiners of various sizes year round and we run straight tap water into the tanks without any issues.

Offline bigcatch81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:08 PM »
I use a 2 10 gallon fish aquariums with an aerator hooked to them. I also use tap water but it comes out of a well. If i keep the bait for a long period of time I feed them goldfish food. I change the water once a week. Since i don't have a cellar i usually put them on the porch but if its suppose to get really cold i will put them in the house for the night and then put them back on the porch cause the wife starts nagging.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:22 PM »
sounds like a good setup dan, i use a 55 gallon drum on its side with a pond pump running water through pvc with 5 holes for water to spray out like at the bait shop. its in my garage so it shouldn't freeze. i got like 5 doz shinners, dont know if i dare use them or not with the v.h.s and the laws and stuff
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:39 PM »
Ha thats a really cool rig. I have an aqurium but i just need to find a bait store. Any one know of any in Southern maine. Im committed to making a drive if i have to
go to the Maine page....there is a bait shop list there!  or pm me

but some ideas for dead bait is also appreciated. thanx!
I fish for pike 75% of the season.....I have my best luck on dead bait.....I soak them in a special brine containing many different ingredients.....they out fish any other type of bait up here.....PM me for the recipe  ;)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:44 PM »
My bait station is also in my garage it is not heated. I also put an extention on my filter system to get it closer to the botton of the tank. Went out today and checked my traps, more volunteers. This is about all I like keeping. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:54 PM »
[

My setup

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:24 PM »
I soak them in a special brine containing many different ingredients.....they out fish any other type of bait up here.....PM me for the recipe  ;)

PM sent!  ;D

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:03 PM »
i just pulled some suckers out of a local creek that i thought were goldfish at first. they had many gold dots.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:19 PM »
now i know that knowbody in new york plans on using any of there traped bait in any body of water other than what it was traped in right?
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Im in maine   we havent imported bait in years

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:33 PM »
now i know that knowbody in new york plans on using any of there traped bait in any body of water other than what it was traped in right?
Well I hope more than a just a few of us fisherman out there follow the rules.  I know it wont pan out that way which is sad :(

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Where did you guys get those plastic tanks on legs?

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Here are my minnows.  I do everything wrong, but it seems to work for me.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:36 PM »
nick858,
           It is a laundry tub, you can get them at most any hardware store Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's, or a plumbing store. Check around because they can vary in price.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:25 PM »
Has anyone caught minnows that are red orange color??? There not goldfish when I check my traps I see them swimming in the school.

If you are catching fatheads, then yes there is mutations that are oarnge/red. This is a genetic thing and they actually have been cultivated and are known as rosie reds. I have done the same thing with blue crayfish. I started with a couple dozen blues, and now produce thousands of them.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2006, 07:44 PM »
this is my 3 1/2ft by 4ft by 3 ft high tank .it is aprox. 300gallons  an has a 2inch drain valve on the bottom I have 100 shiners in it right now.I have a canister filter and a 12 inch air stone

these are all medium to medium heavy red tail shiners that I have trapped since thanksgiving day
How are the edges ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.