Author Topic: Suggestions on small heaters for a two man pop up?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Suggestions on small heaters for a two man pop up?
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I've got the Guide model pop up (2 man) this year, and I'm tired of clowning around with the lantern and the broken mantles etc. What kind heater/brand do you guys suggest to keep things cozy, and what price range am I looking at?  I will be at the Angler in Helmer Tuesday to drop off a couple of mounted crappies and a northern. Anybody know what they have on hand?

I don't buy tackle at Wallmart because I prefer to support the Mom and Pop stores instead, but I noticed they had some heaters that had a catalytic converter that were supposed to be fumeless, and were fed by a can of propane.

Thoughts?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: Suggestions on small heaters for a two man pop up?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Mr. Heater Little Buddy and Big Buddy heaters are excellent.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2006, 02:55 PM »
I got the litle buddy and on low it will burn 6 hours................. ..

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Swedish- that the one pounder?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2006, 03:07 PM »
What kind of fuel do the little buddy and big buddies use? Propane, kerosene, white gas, what?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2006, 04:03 PM »
What kind of fuel do the little buddy and big buddies use? Propane, kerosene, white gas, what?

They use propane.  You can set them up for the 20# bottles but they come set up for 1# bottles.  My brother has the little buddy and I have the big buddy.  They are good little heaters and have built in low oxygen shut off.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2006, 04:49 PM »
Menards hardware stores have them on sale right now for another week for $64.99, best deal I can find on one.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Menards hardware stores have them on sale right now for another week for $64.99, best deal I can find on one.

I was just there. Didn't think of looking! I will see what my B & T, that takes in taxidermy work for me has though first. I'd rather support them.

Thanks for the info all! 

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2006, 07:53 PM »
I made the switch from lanterns to heater a couple years ago. Do you know what your going to do for light?If you used the lantern for heat and light you'll need some type of light. I rigged up 12 volt lighting system.with an  LED light and a car accessery light and use a vexilar type battery. I use the older coleman focus 5 heater,it's propane and workes great but is no longer made. You can still get them on e-bay but a new buddy heater will probabley be less money. Paul

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:46 PM »
They make LED lanterns now.  I don't have any experience with them, but I've used a LED headlamp out on the ice with no problems.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline iceon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:07 PM »
I also use Mr. Buddy heater in my shanty and I seen times last year where I had to shut it off cause it just got to warm inside. And as far as lites go I seen on an in-fisherman episode once they had used that clear rope light and had ziptide it to the poles of there shanty cool idea. I'm trying that this year so I'll let it be known how long the battery last and how brite......

Iceon
Iceon

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:22 PM »
I made the switch from lanterns to heater a couple years ago. Do you know what your going to do for light?If you used the lantern for heat and light you'll need some type of light. I rigged up 12 volt lighting system.with an  LED light and a car accessery light and use a vexilar type battery. I use the older coleman focus 5 heater,it's propane and workes great but is no longer made. You can still get them on e-bay but a new buddy heater will probabley be less money. Paul

Wow didn't even think about that! It does get dark in there. I'll have to weigh some options now! Thanks for the heads up!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:29 PM »
My only suggestion is watch the buddy heaters if you pull your gear a long ways with an atv or snowmobile.  My experience is that if you bounce them around on 3 or 4 trips getting into the lake you are going to fish, they tend to be a little "delicate".  They use a push button ignitor which can be a little crabby if it gets bumped around too much or if there is any wind at all.  They give off good heat, but are a little too touchy for me.  I prefer the old tried and true "sunflower" type heater.  Pretty much indestructible and very, very reliable.  Not as fancy but reliable and give off lots of heat.  Put one on top of a 5 lbs tank and you are set for hours and hours of heat with little space taken up in your sled.  As far as light is concerned, I've tried a few things and my favorite light is a LED headlamp.  Very small, run forever on batteries, are always shining right where you need them, don't get hot and burn your stuff (like a gas lantern) no mantels to break, work whether you are in the house or want to go from hole to hole outside.  Best method I have found, bar none. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.