The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Search For Early Ice - Post Conditions Here for Now  (Read 15870 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Search For Early Ice - Post Conditions Here for Now
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:42 AM »
We aren't going to open up the Reports and Conditions threads just yet.  However, I'll sticky this thread and you can post ice conditions here for any lake that you like until then.  Once we open up the R&C board this thread will be unstickied.  So until then please use this threads for ice conditions until they become fishable.

Thanks for your cooperation!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
Re: Search For Early Ice - Post Conditions Here for Now
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:11 PM »
K I guess I can start this off i fished cowanesque on sunday. There was no ice on the lake. I fished the spill way right after the d**n. We fished for a couple of hours caught about 100. we caught about 60 rock bass, 2 small mouth, 5 or 6 bullheads and about 25 perch. Before we went to the spillway we went to Catherin creek up in NY but the water was to low ended up only catching 2 trout. Hopefully not this weekend but by next weekend we will be on the ice. maybe not Beechwood or Hamilton but Allen.
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006, 08:19 PM »
The Fall Creek Beaver Ponds here in Reeders (Monroe County) were completely frozen over (except where the creek comes in).  They will definetely be set up for this weekend and are a fail safe if nothing more for native Brookies.  I'll be checking on Tobyhanna Thursday and Wolf Swamp on Friday.  Chances are, we'll be on them tied off to shore on Saturday.  Heck I got money ridin on it.  So enjoy, and remember, 2 inches of ice holds 200 pounds.  My little circle of freinds are all still banking who will be on the ice first this years here in PA.  We were first last year, and can only wonder who has the cahoonas and stupidity to go out friday.  Mike, you've been challeneged, we just might beat the NY and midwest boys if we're good.  All the ice needs to do is survive wednesday and the wind needs to hold off.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Yeah yeah....If i felt like driving up there I'd be out before you. I doubt anyone will make it out Friday. Not till Saturday. Unfortunately i can only get up there on Fri, so I won't make the drive. Good luck! Mike, hope you got a change of clothes for when you fall in Friday, since i know you will TRY to make it out.

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:36 AM »
My fav. local lake has a layer of ice and a dusting of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ice is your friend

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:46 AM »
I seen a small lake froze over this morning, which is a good start.  A big clipper system coming Thursday to Friday with alot of wind.  If the lakes survive the wind I don't think they will survive next week.  The weather pattern is beginning to change back to a Westerly and Southerly flow beginning this weekend.  Temps back into the 40's with rain next week. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we get another cold snap right after x-mas and we are on the beginning of the year.   ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline fishing455

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Wouldn't mind hearing that Tobyhanna report or any other lakes in the area! Anyone had luck at Tobyhanna for anything other than trout and pickeral?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:30 AM »
My fav. local lake has a layer of ice and a dusting of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
would like to fish that lake sometime i hear some whopper bass in there   mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:49 AM »

Cranberry or Highpoint?

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:24 PM »
Cranberry, high point is always too windy to be the first to freeze.
ice is your friend

Offline percheye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2006, 04:44 PM »
hey marshrat, where is allen?

Offline mike692

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Cranberry, high point is always too windy to be the first to freeze.

Hey Pletch! Saw your picture in the paper with all those steelhead! Good work!

Starting to get ichy here. I've been trying to find a deer, but I've been thinking about ice fishing. Wanted to check Laurel Hill today, but didn't get the time. If Cranberry has ice, it should to! The extended forecast doesn't look great for making ice, but I don't think it will hurt what we have too much.
I didn't get out at all last year, so I really need to get out....soon!

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I was just outside bringing in some firewood and there wasnt a cloud in the sky. It should get good and cold tonight

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:07 AM »
I was just outside bringing in some firewood and there wasnt a cloud in the sky. It should get good and cold tonight
can ya eye up muddy creek to see if its icin' up maybe goin to see friday or saturday                        mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:32 AM »
can ya eye up muddy creek to see if its icin' up maybe goin to see friday or saturday                        mofish
Maybe Harbor acres will have enough ice. Its a small lake. If I get home in time I will check it out and let you know

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2006, 09:35 AM »
Maybe Harbor acres will have enough ice. Its a small lake. If I get home in time I will check it out and let you know
Jonesy-any recent trout stocking of H.A.?

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 11"gill from a secret pond
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:32 AM »

Leave a report. Im very interested with how cold its been
Go Team PA!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Just checked a local lake (140 acres) at lunch time and was surprised to see 1/3 of the lake was froze over.  There is a long cove with a stump field that is froze entirely to the main part of the lake.  I threw a rock on it and it bounced.  If the lake survives the nasty wind coming tomorrow and friday and with lows in the lower teens I am hoping for 3 to 4 inches in this cove by Saturday morning. ;D  After Saturday I believe it will be gone with the warm up going into next week.

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:05 PM »
I noticed ice cover on many but not all of the small ponds between Dillsburg and Harrisburg today.  I expect it's thin but it did hold up a pile of geese.  Unfortunately my butt weight to foot size ratio is alot more then those honkers.  At least it's showing that safe ice is just around the corner if the cold temps can hang on and do their work.

Think cold!

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2006, 03:58 AM »
Jonesy-any recent trout stocking of H.A.?

No, not since spring. They will stock it again in January

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2006, 07:01 AM »
No, not since spring. They will stock it again in January
Thanks for the response, Jonesy, any idea of a date in January?

MikeThePike

« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:35 AM »
My tiny "reservoir" that I thought would be the 1st to freeze didn't even have a skim on it yesterday AM. I forgot that its fed by a much larger reservoir up the mountain but I've got my back up which had 1" of ice across all 70 acres of it. I'll check it out tomorrow but I doubt it'll be good unless I go out at 1 or 2AM before work for some crappies.

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:52 AM »
I was on the ice this day last year (2005), oh how I miss the good old days.
ice is your friend

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2006, 11:44 AM »
I know how you feel Pletch, my first day last year was December 9th.   :'(  Oh well, we will just have to wait and see what cards mother nature deals us this year. 

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Russ, I was up past Wilhelm yesterday morning and there was some skim ice forming. Unfortunately, the weather is supposed to warm up this weekend. Hey, are you giving any thought to a trip up North? A couple years ago John Helso from I.S. and I made a trip to Lake Simcoe for perch. We talked about going to a lake that has a good walleye population. I want to say it's Scaugog or something close to that. It was a little east of Simcoe. My buddies got me started on this steelhead fishing and it's almost as addictive as ice fishing! 

MikeThePike

« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2006, 02:57 PM »

I was on the ice November 27th last year so having to wait until ATLEAST this weekend is killing me  ;)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I'm with you mike, was on the ice the weekend after thanksgiving last year only to see it all mely away that monday.  Amazing that we're waiting so long for ice this year, but saturday, buddy boym saturday for sure.  Enjoy.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:29 PM »
I guess we have been spoiled over the years.  I can remember when I was in high school and college and we would never be on before the holidays, but it was almost always a given the beginning of January.

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:33 PM »
was not on the ice till december 26 in 2004, so as long as i get on the ice by new year i will be happy!
ice is your friend

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:11 AM »
ya me too. can remember fishin 18" of water because it was the only ice that year      mofish      cranberry should tighten up tonight

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.