Author Topic: Rusty Jigs  (Read 631 times)

Offline moose1878

• IceShanty Rookie
Rusty Jigs
« on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:17 AM »
Apparently my jig box got put away last year with some moisture in it.  The majority of them have rust on them.   Does anyone have a good way to clean up the hooks and get the rust off the painted parts.  Thanks

Offline CrappiePerchDude

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rusty Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:52 AM »
Try this evapo-rust …. Put the jigs in a Tupperware container and pour this over the top until they are submerged.  Wait a few hours, rinse and go.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:53 AM »
Rust is an iron oxide and corrosive therefore making the tensile strength of the hook weak.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:33 AM »
I heard that if you soak them in WD40 it will loosen the rust and then try a wire brush or small hook file.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2024, 11:18 AM »
yeah, I bet the rust would compromise the metal somewhat. Would hate for you to lose a hog on a snapped jig  >:(

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2024, 11:28 AM »
if it were Me, I'd get a NEW jig box. and fill it with NEW jigs! Ya only live once! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2024, 12:38 PM »
Me too!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2024, 01:46 PM »
Same as others have said, rusted hooks will break a lot easier especially if the jigs were in that jig box for almost a year.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2024, 03:46 AM »
All new tackle would be nice, but I'd bet most of those hooks are just fine.  Sort through any that are deeply pitted that could break, but I'd bet the rust over one season isn't really that bad and just surface rust, not like we ice fish in salt water.

I second evaporust, I've used it a few times to clean out gas lantern tanks, it hasn't affected the paint or anything.  But test a couple first to make sure.  The stuff works amazing.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:17 PM »
Evaporust is some good stuff, shouldn't hurt paint. Before that, try some vinegar. It's a weak for real rust, but it often gets rust stains off. Unless they were soaking in water all year, I really doubt the rust you have is going to harm the hooks strength. Touch up the hooks with a hook sharpener and dont' worry about a little patina.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.