Author Topic: Milwaukee 2904 Auto Stop Feature  (Read 1714 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Milwaukee 2904 Auto Stop Feature
« on: Dec 15, 2023, 08:22 AM »
Anybody running the new Milwaukee 2904 hammer drill with the auto stop feature?  Looks like it'd be perfect to protect your wrist if your auger ever binds up, but was just curious how the real world experience is.  Is it too sensitive?  I know you can turn it on/off as well.

Was considering upgrading my older 2704 since you can get these 2904's so cheap on Amazon.

Thanks!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Milwaukee 2904 Auto Stop Feature
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2023, 10:37 AM »
My 2904 is flawless. I have never noticed if the auto-stop feature works or not.  I did NOT turn it off. It just rips thru the ice without grabbing. ;D

I use an 8AH battery on it.

DO it- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2023, 05:30 PM »
I have never seen or heard of anyone who hurt their wrist if they were using a handle or clam plate. Universally any injury came from somebody who willingly chose to use a drill without a handle and free hand it.
-Tom

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2023, 08:31 PM »
Handle broke off my 2704 twice. Now I just hold onto it with both hands. I just ordered the 2904, so problem solved.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2023, 09:09 PM »
That 2904 handle looks like a way better design than that 2704. I bet it will work good.
-Tom

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2023, 06:36 AM »
Ice Auger Drill Adapter with Handle - 18mm/0.720" Output Shaft Diameter - Premium Steel Cordless Drill Adapter for Ice Auger Drill Conversion https://a.co/d/5E8CMLh

Got rid of the handle & use this adapter, it  has a bearing, no wrist shock on binding & too wide to fall in the hole if the auger slips out of the chuck

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2023, 07:34 AM »
Ice Auger Drill Adapter with Handle - 18mm/0.720" Output Shaft Diameter - Premium Steel Cordless Drill Adapter for Ice Auger Drill Conversion https://a.co/d/5E8CMLh

Got rid of the handle & use this adapter, it  has a bearing, no wrist shock on binding & too wide to fall in the hole if the auger slips out of the chuck

Learn something new every day, thats slick.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2023, 08:34 AM »

Only problem with this thing is that it spins independently, so if your auger binds, I don’t understand how this would help you? Don’t really see the benefit of this to be honest.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2023, 08:39 AM »

When my drill adapter breaks (it usually takes me 2-3 yrs to destroy them)....I will get 1 of those.  No safety plate to get int the way....and like you said that handle will keep assembly from falling into the hole if chuck fails.  I like it!  How do the bearings hold up?

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2023, 08:43 AM »
My 2904 is flawless. I have never noticed if the auto-stop feature works or not.  I did NOT turn it off. It just rips thru the ice without grabbing. ;D

I use an 8AH battery on it.

DO it- ;)

I have the old version....and it will tear your wrist off if you're not careful....so I will upgrade to 2904 soon.  Thx!   :tipup:

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2023, 08:53 AM »
When my drill adapter breaks (it usually takes me 2-3 yrs to destroy them)....I will get 1 of those.  No safety plate to get int the way....and like you said that handle will keep assembly from falling into the hole if chuck fails.  I like it!  How do the bearings hold up?

Been running  one for about 5 yrs & don't  remember  ever oiling it. The balance is much better  because  your hands are opposite  & not a 90° angle, tip = get rid of those black plastic  auger knobs & use 2 self tapping  sheet metal  screws to pin auger, they love hoodie strings

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2023, 09:37 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2023, 09:59 AM »
I have the old version....and it will tear your wrist off if you're not careful....so I will upgrade to 2904 soon.  Thx!   :tipup:
Yah I have a friend that broke his wrist using a 2803.  Brutal!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2023, 09:56 PM »
Yah I have a friend that broke his wrist using a 2803.  Brutal!

I know someone who also had this happen. So far so good with my 2803 knock on wood.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2023, 10:02 PM »
I got my 2904 delivered today from Amazon, and tested out the auto-stop. As soon as you quickly rotate the drill (simulating twisting/binding) it turns off. Game changer for the ice. For $90 on Amazon, well worth the upgrade.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2023, 04:59 PM »
I held off on a drill setup because of the issues of twisting your wrist. I had a 24v StrikeMaster and I hated it. I got the 2904 when it came out last year, put the liteflite bit on it from my 24v SM setup, and wow what an animal. I always thought that liteflite auger was crap because of the way it drilled. Realized instantly it was the power head. Everyone that has drilled with my setup has pretty much went and bought one.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2023, 07:02 PM »
I held off on a drill setup because of the issues of twisting your wrist. I had a 24v StrikeMaster and I hated it. I got the 2904 when it came out last year, put the liteflite bit on it from my 24v SM setup, and wow what an animal. I always thought that liteflite auger was crap because of the way it drilled. Realized instantly it was the power head. Everyone that has drilled with my setup has pretty much went and bought one.

Same thing here.  Everyone that's tried it has fallen in love with it! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:40 AM »
What exactly is the "auto stop" feature?  I took my 2904 out with an Eskimo pistol bit and it stops while drilling when I get near the end of a 5" hole.  I then have to restart to get through. 

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2024, 07:50 AM »
What exactly is the "auto stop" feature?  I took my 2904 out with an Eskimo pistol bit and it stops while drilling when I get near the end of a 5" hole.  I then have to restart to get through the ice.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2024, 07:54 AM »
What exactly is the "auto stop" feature?  I took my 2904 out with an Eskimo pistol bit and it stops while drilling when I get near the end of a 5" hole.  I then have to restart to get through the ice.
  It's a setting that turns the drill off if there's a sudden jerk/rotation to the drill.  It's designed to shut off rather than break your wrist.  Here's an example, and how to turn the feature off:

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2024, 10:26 AM »
  It's a setting that turns the drill off if there's a sudden jerk/rotation to the drill.  It's designed to shut off rather than break your wrist.  Here's an example, and how to turn the feature off:

Thank you!  I wasn't sure if I had a lemon or if it was the auto stop function that was working.  I'll try this and go out and catch some fish!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2024, 01:01 PM »
What exactly is the "auto stop" feature?  I took my 2904 out with an Eskimo pistol bit and it stops while drilling when I get near the end of a 5" hole.  I then have to restart to get through.

You have something else going on.  Weak battery or bad drill or bad auger.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:44 PM »
You have something else going on.  Weak battery or bad drill or bad auger.

I never even thought of the battery as possibly being an issue.  Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.