The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Custom Jet Sleds  (Read 3378 times)

Offline kaseyj5678

• IceShanty Rookie
Custom Jet Sleds
« on: Dec 13, 2023, 06:32 AM »
I'm planning on customizing my Jetsled to give everything (bait, traps, jig, heater, etc) a specific home. Does anyone have any photos of their build or any lessons learned?

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Custom Jet Sleds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2023, 08:33 AM »
PVC frame to elevate and carry my pop up and auger. Built it get over my bait bucket but totally messed up when I made it too tall for the tonneau cover on the truck so that was dumb. Walmart rod holder slightly modified to hold jigging rods. I have a big comfy new chair so I’m going to have to play around on how to secure that too. My bait bucket stays wedged in place with a tackle box and backpack everything else just kinda fits. I don’t bring as much as I see other people and I’m sure people think I bring way too much!

Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Sled Length? 6'? 9? Is longer better or two small 6'?

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2023, 09:24 AM »
First and foremost if you pull by hand build a Smitty sled. Just remarkable how well these things work. Lots of “how to” in the Equipment section of this forum.

This thread has lot of info on sled mods;
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=172918.0

Here is what I did to mine. I have a couple and use this one when I’m taking a lot of “stuff”. It lets me get a couple of buckets and my traps out of the tub.

Offline RippinLipsTakingSips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2023, 11:34 AM »
First and foremost if you pull by hand build a Smitty sled. Just remarkable how well these things work. Lots of “how to” in the Equipment section of this forum.

This thread has lot of info on sled mods;
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=172918.0

Here is what I did to mine. I have a couple and use this one when I’m taking a lot of “stuff”. It lets me get a couple of buckets and my traps out of the tub.

Your bucket mount on the back is next level. I love the gutter downspouts to hold the tip ups. Definitely borrowing that idea for my sled.

Offline ira-akrfc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2023, 06:57 PM »
R.L.T.S. -  Your skis are removable from the sled. Can you provide details on how they attach/detach? Did you drill holes in bottom of the sled and then use screws to attach?

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2023, 07:26 PM »
R.L.T.S. -  Your skis are removable from the sled. Can you provide details on how they attach/detach? Did you drill holes in bottom of the sled and then use screws to attach?

If you are asking about my sled, it’s a “Smitty Sled”. The jet sled or sled on my flip over just sits on the cross members of the Smitty. Ive attached another picture. The rubber pieces on the cross members keep it from moving around. There are also eyebolts for tie downs if need be. The Smitty disassembles for travel. If you pull a sled by hand, a Smitty makes it so so much easier.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2023, 08:42 PM »

Good read ..the high lights .. Down hill skis ...15 foot rope....tied to the tips of the skis ..

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kaseyj5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2023, 06:38 AM »
I love the idea with the gutters. I was planning on using PVC to hold my traps vertically, but I think the gutters are stronger/cheaper

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2023, 07:18 AM »
Not really a custom ...more in the way of add ons  ...full back directors chair  I have since added an Otter Side Kick atop that bucket...its my sunny run n gun hole hopping set up

This may be my new seating option

That Jet Sled may be 15-20 years old ..had some wear to one of the back corners ..Harbor Freight plastic welder kit worked wonders so I gave it some love and added the Hyfax runner kit ...which I would recommend .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2023, 09:24 AM »
I love the idea with the gutters. I was planning on using PVC to hold my traps vertically, but I think the gutters are stronger/cheaper

Consider using a pulk to pull the sled instead of just ropes. A pulk isn't hard to make and if you use two pieces of PVC pipe and run the ropes through it you won't have the sled running into the back of your legs on downhill stretches.  You can buy a harness so you can pull it hands free for about $40 which is also convenient.  I made mine (which is not a work of art) for about $ 80 total (harness poles and all connections) and it makes life a lot easier.

You can buy one ready made for a lot more but one trip to Lowes saves you a fortune.

Here is a utube video that shows you how to make one.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2023, 04:23 PM »
That Pulk sled how-to video was very good.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2023, 04:46 PM »
No need to buy a harness if ya hunt..if you have treestands ...you have harness that came with it ..and harness makes huge difference when pulling sled

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2023, 05:39 PM »
That Pulk sled how-to video was very good.

Compared to mine his is over engineered but as long as you follow the basic design it makes a world of difference.  I use carabiners instead of the connections he uses as it is easier to undo with numb fingers.  He uses rope and D rings for the connection to him instead of a harness which isn't a bad idea in case the sled goes through, and you want to disconnect in a hurry.  Either way there is infinite room to DIY a solution.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2023, 08:50 AM »
Check this thread out...... https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.msg3721169#msg3721169

Offline kaseyj5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2023, 08:41 AM »
Not quite finished with it yet, but I'm liking it so far.

I'm planning on storing my traps under the last two milk crates/plywood. I still need to add something to keep from from sliding out of the back when I accelerate.

I may also add some type of "push pole/handlebars"

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2023, 09:26 AM »
Not quite finished with it yet, but I'm liking it so far.

I'm planning on storing my traps under the last two milk crates/plywood. I still need to add something to keep from from sliding out of the back when I accelerate.

I may also add some type of "push pole/handlebars"

Nice rig.  I wonder about the skis and notice yours are short.  I just bought and easy sled frame and its getting shipped to me in the next week.  I was debating on ski length to ensure the load was spread out as much as possible to lessen the ground pressure.  I like the width of yours just wonder about the lenght.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2023, 09:31 AM »

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2023, 09:42 AM »
 A little pricey ...but may be more durable in the cold

https://www.homedepot.com/s/PVC%20furniture?NCNI-5

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2023, 10:30 AM »
For me, 2 best additions to my sleds have been hyfax runners & an extra long & thick smooth nylon rope.   ;D

Offline kaseyj5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2023, 06:18 AM »
Nice rig.  I wonder about the skis and notice yours are short.  I just bought and easy sled frame and its getting shipped to me in the next week.  I was debating on ski length to ensure the load was spread out as much as possible to lessen the ground pressure.  I like the width of yours just wonder about the lenght.

I'm reusing the ski from an old/smaller sled I made. I took it for a test run around the yard and all seems well so far. But if I didn't already have these cut ski's laying around, I would of left them the same length of the sled.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2023, 08:40 AM »
I don't know how you guys all have good luck making things out of schedule 40 PVC... Years ago I built a wind break on a sled of mine out of PVC tubing and it cracked instantly in the cold. Maybe I used the wrong kind of white PVC?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2023, 12:11 PM »
They should make a bigger sled  so one could use it on thin ice. With ice pick paddles , then one could slid out on thin ice . poke a hole with skimmer and jig some fish.

Offline Nameless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2023, 12:27 PM »
They should make a bigger sled  so one could use it on thin ice. With ice pick paddles , then one could slid out on thin ice . poke a hole with skimmer and jig some fish.

How about strapping and inflatable pontoon boat to the sled? Lol

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2023, 06:17 PM »
Probably lighter floats filled with foam plastic that dont stick to ice, Aluminun skis pick up ice making them heavy.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2023, 08:16 PM »
I don't have any pics because my son thinks I have a warehouse at his place. Look around for a used aluminum truck toolbox raise it up about 6" and put some skis under it. works great.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2023, 07:41 AM »
Nice idea
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2023, 04:05 PM »
I found this website by chance and ordered one of their sleds.  If I tried to build my own, it would be finished sometimes in August of 2025.  With shipping it was $116.  I bought a pair of used skis for $20.  Its supposed to be here on the 3rd of January.   Perhaps by then there might be some ice somewhere.

https://www.easysled.ca/

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2023, 05:56 PM »
With aluniumun  skis slush will stick and freeze on making sled very heavy.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2023, 11:40 AM »
With aluniumun  skis slush will stick and freeze on making sled very heavy.

The skis I bought were cross country skis made of wood so no problem with them being aluminum.   Just the sled frame is and it doesn't contact the ice surface.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.