Author Topic: The youngsters  (Read 3646 times)

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bullwinkle helps pull the sled :)
The youngsters
« on: Nov 30, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Last year I and my brother brought his 4 children along ice fishing.   
As we packed up to leave, good godson that Ben is, he turned and stepped directly into the hole
we had just warned he and his siblings to stay clear of.  Nicely wet to the hip -he went in like a shot -lucky it wasn't too cold or windy and the trucks were close.
Why does this always happen?  I remember it happening to myself, my brothers, older friends; is it "An Ice Fishing Baptismal Right"?
Or just the water in NW Wisconsin... ::)

Offline canoesota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Got my mojo working"
Re: The youngsters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:59 AM »
The same thing happened to my son the 2nd or 3rd time he went ice fishing! This happened on Lake Minnetonka around 1988. Hes 23 now, and we still laugh about it, and always bring it up when fishing that spot summer or winter. Good memories.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2006, 05:52 AM »
Never fails.  Kids do things and there's no accounting for it.  If you hadn't told him to stay clear of the hole, it never woulda happened.  One year '78 or '79 my brother and I asked dad if we could go ice fishing and he said "ice just formed, give it a little bit yet."  We didn't and walked the 1/4 mile to the lake when dad was out of the house.  Sure enough, we BOTH went swimming.  Coldest walk of my life--and he had returned in time to see his 2 moron sons come in soaking wet

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bullwinkle helps pull the sled :)
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Now, now!  people don't think you're morons, as far as you know... ::) :woot:

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:23 PM »
you obviously never met my father...
not one to hold back...but he had a great sense of humor

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2006, 09:52 PM »
My daughter done that when she was about 7 years old, one leg all the way to the hip, I heard a "plooop" and thought uhh ohh. 

It took 2 years to get her to go back out with me.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2006, 01:51 PM »
My daughter did it 2 years ago and then she did it again yesterday. I hope it's not an annual ritual.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2006, 04:27 PM »
My five year old did it too. He was only four at the time. And like his old man he still threw a temper tantrum when I told him we had to go now. I felt bad so we stayed out a little longer and caught a few more. I still had to bribe him with fresh cooked perch fillets to get him to go an hour later. Chip off the old block. He also gets the hard water blues as bad as I. Mother nature please help this poor little boy and his old man. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:10 AM »
One of the lakes I fish receives a decent amount of pressure from other fishermen, so most times I head out I don't take my auger...I use the heel of my boot to break the skim ice from someone else's old hole.  On a particularly warm and sunny day, I decided to bring my 2 year old out on the ice with me.  I found two holes next to each other (about 8 inches apart) so I decided it would be a good place for the both of us to fish.  I proceed to break the ice over the first hole...and my son decides (just like daddy) he's going to help me by breaking open the other hole.  After stomping for a little while, he realizes he can't break the ice...so he turns around and stomps the hole I had already opened.  First stomp...his leg goes right thru...up to his hip and now he's stuck.  I got him out almost immediately...nearly lost his boot down the hole...and that was all for him for the day.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2006, 02:03 PM »
You don't do any other crazy things he shouldn't do do ya.. HAHA just kidding

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:03 PM »
My brother and cousin were heading to the Forest Lake, MN contest when I was a little kid. My mom made them take me with. They were not very responsible babysitters. I wandered around and ended up stepping in a few holes. I ended up in the first aid area. They got me warmed up and being not too busy they took me home in an ambulance. We pulled up to the house and my mom ran out frantic thinking one of us was hurt. My brother was not put in charge of my safe keeping ever again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.