The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Pelham Lake in Rowe  (Read 1733 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pelham Lake in Rowe
« on: Feb 18, 2023, 08:46 PM »
Today, my younger son and I made the trek to Pelham Lake in Rowe.

It was a beautiful day - - sunny, blue skies, with temps in the upper 20's, and windy.

We arrived around 11 AM, set up about 2/3 of the way back and a little to the left of the pond, and stayed till a little after 4 PM.

To our pleasant surprise, there was about a foot of ice.

Aside from one other group toward the front of the pond, we pretty much had the place to ourselves, apart from a few walkers.

At one point, I saw a bald eagle flying around.

Although  the fishing wasn't anything to write home about, we did OK.

We had a fair number of flags, and, while our flag-to-fish ratio wasn't the greatest, we succeeded in landing a few pickerel (and one perch) on tip ups as well as reel in some perch jigging.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Pelham Lake in Rowe
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2023, 01:20 PM »
Way to get out there Jim. 

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2023, 06:44 PM »
Nice to see you had some flags and a bonus with an eagle sighting is awesome

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2023, 01:47 PM »
We tried there a very long time ago, 20 years at least. I've never tried again and recently thought about trying again. We didn't see any bass the time we tried it.  Have you caught any bass Jim?

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2023, 02:55 PM »
We tried there a very long time ago, 20 years at least. I've never tried again and recently thought about trying again. We didn't see any bass the time we tried it.  Have you caught any bass Jim?

Yes, even though I have not done particularly well at Pelham Lake over the past 2 or 3 years, I have a soft spot in my heart for the place because:

(a) It is one of the prettier lakes that I fish,

(b) It is where I caught my "personal best" bass                                                                                                                 
        (Don't laugh - - it was just 4.5 pounds, but still my personal best)                                                                                                             
        (The son of a co-worker did haul a 6 pounder out of there during open water season, and I saw the photos of it)

(c) It is also where I caught my personal best pickerel (24" long).

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2023, 05:36 PM »
Yes, even though I have not done particularly well at Pelham Lake over the past 2 or 3 years, I have a soft spot in my heart for the place because:

(The son of a co-worker did haul a 6 pounder out of there during open water season, and I saw the photos of it)

I myself like those small scenic ponds . Thank you.

Offline maxma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:19 PM »

Pelham Lake is by far the most 'relaxing' lake I found in West MA. The summer time is even better with some free kayak from the small park. I have left MA permentaly but, men, I miss it.
What's cooler than being cool.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2023, 01:51 PM »
Is that little beach area open in the winter for parking?

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2023, 05:47 PM »
Is that little beach area open in the winter for parking?

Yes, you can park in the lot along the road by the beach area, or you can do so in the Town Park on the "left" side of the pond (as you're looking out  across the pond from the road).

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2023, 05:56 PM »
Nothing wrong with a 4.5#er Jim.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.