The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Need a new Ice Fishing Buddy...  (Read 3187 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Need a new Ice Fishing Buddy...
« on: Dec 31, 2022, 03:29 PM »
After many great years of ice fishing with Will (Bait Bucket) he has hung up his auger (at least most of the time) and I am now looking for someone to ice fish with. When I can get away it is Sundays and Mondays and I like to do all kinds of fishing but have focused in recent years on Bass and Walleye, with lots of jigging. I often fish into the night, overnight, or early in the morning. I fish MA and when I can NH for Lakers, (hope to chase some white perch this season) but have been known to travel further... I have been known to hike into hard to get to spots and when I get there I fish hard, with rarely a break... I am 60 (I can not believe it) but I have a hard time finding 40-year-olds that are willing to keep up.
If you want to get out let me know, it is almost always more fun with others.

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need a new Ice Fishing Buddy...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2023, 11:19 AM »
Did he quit fishing?
I’d meet up if I was closer to you.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2023, 04:57 PM »
Will quit ice fishing, but I bet I will get him out again on special occasions...

What area are you in?

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2023, 05:01 PM »
Hit me up anytime for lakers or white perch on winni, me and the group do cusk up there too, if you looking to chase white perch in MA I have the spot, they are just not as big as winni white perch

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2023, 05:03 PM »
Thank Ruimachado, you will be hearing from me and I look forward to getting out with you!

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2023, 06:13 PM »
If your fishing where I think you are I'm definitely in. Did really well open water on the eyes early spring but they have played me for a fool on the ice last 2 years. Unfortunately I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays to fish but could possibly get out on a Monday
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2023, 10:14 PM »
I will let you know the next Monday I can make it (and we have safe ice)!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2023, 04:27 AM »
I'm struggling myself getting out to fish with the baby and the new and very demanding job. I'm hoping it eases up a bit and I get out this winter, but I'm definitely not putting the time in I used to! Loading my ice gear in the car like I do every year and just hope to use it

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2023, 05:13 AM »
Years ago when I had young kids I started fishing more at night (more often open water) and that kept me married and found, often I caught more and bigger fish... Just food for thought...

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2023, 05:34 PM »
Years ago when I had young kids I started fishing more at night (more often open water) and that kept me married and found, often I caught more and bigger fish... Just food for thought...
I agree, I've done more night fishing then day since. Plus just getting into jigging. And a taste for crappie and perch so I'm down for pm jigging for sure

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2023, 06:49 PM »
Now we wait for the safe ice...

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2023, 07:38 PM »
Now we wait for the safe ice...

At this rate around me not for another 3 weeks, and the good early ice ponds were really close to ready for my taste(few guys on the ice with 3inches, but I'm 250lbs plus gear and rather not swim), NH had enough ice in a few places I fished before the warm up that could survive this rain(8" of good ice and higher elevation) but the fishing was just atrocious, drilled over 100holes both days and found absolutely nothing other than the few small perch and gills.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2023, 08:16 PM »
I will be getting my NH lic. this year, even if we don't get ice. I most often ice fish for lakers in NH and do OK, this season I want to get into some white perch.

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2023, 09:29 PM »
I will be getting my NH lic. this year, even if we don't get ice. I most often ice fish for lakers in NH and do OK, this season I want to get into some white perch.

Big boys up there, need at least 10 in MA for a taco night for 2, those 3 were enough for 3 people and there was leftovers  ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2023, 10:02 PM »
Thanks for "rubbing it in"! LOL! Congrats! I lived in NH for years (On Bow Lake) and each State has different things to offer to anglers.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2023, 06:13 AM »
Ahhh yes giant panfish! My obsession. Stripernut I'm sure we can all get together this season. Rui, I chase those pigs multiple times each season in NH.

Just add water.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2023, 06:45 AM »
Very nice, I look forward to it!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2023, 08:16 AM »
Bummer about Will.. >:(
i am a bit far away from you, good luck..
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2023, 08:05 PM »
Very nice, I look forward to it!

Winni has ice and giving some fish already!

Might go back again tomorrow for the morning, but my body will be the one in charge, still on the last stretches of a bad flu and I feel sore right now, but knowing me I'll still do it anyways  ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2023, 09:41 PM »
Best of luck and hope you feel better!

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:43 PM »
I love reading posts like this: community, generosity, camaraderie. I'll be going up to Winni this year as soon as the ice is safe. In fact, I drove up to Wentworth on Wednesday of this week (two hours from the Western burbs of Boston) and hooked into whites on 3.5" of ice. I'd meet up with you but distance may be a bit of a barrier.

Tomorrow (sunday), I'm making a bet on Onota, which I have never been to. And since I don't have any solid intel to go on, I may be waisting a long drive, but what the heck. I'm an optimist. I have been targeting yellow perch since I was a kid, but am going to focus a little more on whites this season (weather permitting). Winni was awesome for yellows last year. I had 245 on my best session and 158 on my worst. But the whites eluded me, for the most part.

Wish me luck tomorrow!
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2023, 07:39 AM »
Best of luck! I hadn't ice-fished Onota in 35 years, back when I lived out there. Never got white perch there, but did get many out of Pontoosuc (open water, back then... Well, I hope we can get out on the Winni together this season!

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Best of luck! I hadn't ice-fished Onota in 35 years, back when I lived out there. Never got white perch there, but did get many out of Pontoosuc (open water, back then... Well, I hope we can get out on the Winni together this season!

Thanks! I found ice on Onota, well, partially. There was however a larger area out in the middle, north of the state park that was open water (marked in red on the map). There was also a pressure ridge that had opened up from the point by the boat ramp, which also had 10' of open water going out across the lake. I launched from the boat ramp and worked my way south along the shore. I consistently had 3" of perfectly Zambonied, good quality, black-gray ice, as I was fishing the drop off. Nothing big came up through my holes, but I caught some yellow perch. It was just great to get out there, even if it was cold and windy.

Be safe out there! Assume nothing.

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2023, 04:40 PM »
thanks for this update

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2023, 05:52 PM »
Dang that's surprising about Will . Never thought I would hear he was hanging up the ice gear . Hope everything is OK with him.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2023, 09:02 PM »
He is great, we even spent a week renting a house down the Cape (with a bunch of my family) and doing a LOT of fishing off our boat we towed down and got a slip for...
This is not even the biggest he landed;

My son came in from CO;

Every couple of weeks we meet up for dinner with the wives... Will, just does not want to be in the cold anymore...

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2023, 06:43 AM »
Thanks! I found ice on Onota, well, partially. There was however a larger area out in the middle, north of the state park that was open water (marked in red on the map). There was also a pressure ridge that had opened up from the point by the boat ramp, which also had 10' of open water going out across the lake. I launched from the boat ramp and worked my way south along the shore. I consistently had 3" of perfectly Zambonied, good quality, black-gray ice, as I was fishing the drop off. Nothing big came up through my holes, but I caught some yellow perch. It was just great to get out there, even if it was cold and windy.

Be safe out there! Assume nothing.

Dang saw you when I went out on Sunday but moved just north to Pontusic.  Guessing it was you by your jacket in the pics matches who I saw. I intended to launch from the beach at the  north end of the parking lot.  There was a group blocking access to pretty much the whole cove, better ice on that side. 

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2023, 10:04 AM »
Dang saw you when I went out on Sunday but moved just north to Pontusic.  Guessing it was you by your jacket in the pics matches who I saw. I intended to launch from the beach at the  north end of the parking lot.  There was a group blocking access to pretty much the whole cove, better ice on that side.

Yes, that was probably me that you saw. And yes, there was a group there by the beach at the north end of the parking lot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.