Author Topic: Headed out this afternoon  (Read 1233 times)

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Headed out this afternoon
« on: Dec 30, 2022, 03:00 AM »
After work yesterday, I stopped at a nearby pond to check the ice. With the wife standing on shore, I ventured out with the spud, electric auger and skimmer. It was a bit reassuring to see that someone else had already ventured out. I hadn't fished 2022 at all due to some health issues, so it was nice to get on some hard water, even if it was just checking the ice. I had 5" of good black ice with another 3 of the white snow ice on top. My brother and I will be getting his kids out for some ice fishing this afternoon after I get out of work. Looking forward to spending some time with my niece and nephew as my "little" girl is almost 25 and has a lot on her plate currently. I'll post up some pics this evening or tomorrow. Be safe out there everyone!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Headed out this afternoon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2022, 05:57 AM »
Its a great feeling when you are checking for new ice and find 8".  I am glad to hear you are back on the ice and Look forward to seeing your pics with the kids.

Catch-em-up!

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2023, 03:47 AM »
So, we hit the ice about 1pm. The temperature was 47 degrees. Most of the snow ice had melted off and there was some water on the ice. No worries, as we got to our spot and my brother drilled the holes and my niece and nephew skimmed them. I started setting tip ups. When my bro had cut all the holes he helped me finish setting up. We got a couple flags before we finished which is always cool. The kids had a blast as they alternated flags. It worked out good as one flag would go up, another seemed to pop within minutes. My bro and I never touched a flag. It was all about the kids having fun. We were enjoying coaching them along. They ended up landing 6 or 7 pickerel and a small yellow perch. The idle time was spent watching me get the bugs worked out of my flasher and them cleaning me out of venison jerky. It was a great day to get out on the ice that was long overdue.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2023, 05:34 AM »
Sounds like a great day. Well done
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2023, 06:37 AM »
Nice job guys!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2023, 06:48 AM »
Sounds like a great time, well done.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2023, 10:12 AM »
Great way to start a new season... looks like a great time by all.

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2023, 04:27 PM »
Great start to the season!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2023, 08:07 AM »
Sounds like a blast!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2023, 08:52 AM »
Nice work. Good to see the smiling faces on the kids getting out
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2023, 11:11 AM »
Thanks All, we had some fun! Hoping we get some cold weather so I can get the Snowdog out for its inaugural trip.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.