Author Topic: Blizzard Lmao  (Read 1620 times)

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Blizzard Lmao
« on: Dec 24, 2022, 09:12 AM »
My how times have changed . They throw out the word blizzard & the stores went nuts for days with panic buying! I hear the word blizzard & I instantly go to 1978 which was a REAL BLIZZARD & then fast forward to todays blizzard & I laugh ! High winds & cold with 3” of snow used to be just a normal winters day back then. Tight lines everyone & Merry Christmas!!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Blizzard Lmao
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2022, 09:28 AM »
Oh, Yes!!!! We had same here in Lake County, NW Indiana. I have radio on and still talking about 35 mph winds. Looking out window and it looks like 5 mph and sunny. I'm sure areas got hit hard but not here!
Merry Christmas to all!!! And Happy Birthday to me today, 84!!!! Good Lord! Where did it go????
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2022, 09:30 AM »
Hey Teach, that's awesome!! Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Merry Christmas to all!!! And Happy Birthday to me today, 84!!!! Good Lord! Where did it go????
Teach

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

WS

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2022, 10:06 AM »
Happy Birthday to you

rivereddy

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2022, 10:21 AM »
Maybe in Indiana it isnt bad, but people are dying and are trapped in their cars and homes without heat here in WNY. Happy Holidays.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2022, 10:32 AM »
Pretty crappy where im at in Michigan.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2022, 10:40 AM »
If this was the storm of a generation, it isn't my generation at least where I live. Cold and windy, but not a lot of snow here. May be fact in other areas though.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2022, 10:47 AM »
To be clear...a Blizzard isn't the amount of snow one gets. It's "the strong and sustained winds that causes the snow (whatever amount)  dangerously low visibility". Yeah...had that here the past couple days. The snow? I dunno...maybe a foot.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DRJones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2022, 12:24 PM »
Happy birthday Teach! Mine is today also, only 51 though. Hoping to get out Monday after work. My third boy said he was ready to go yesterday, until I had him help me move some snow. He decided to wait for the wind to back off.

Offline Dinkgetter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2022, 01:58 PM »
Hey Teach, that's awesome!! Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!
Happy Birthday Teach and DRJones! Your birthday twins, lol. God bless you!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2022, 04:29 PM »
Happiest of bdays. My mom's is Christmas.

Yeah not crazy snow but roads slick as snot and the cold and winds blowing thru any cracks they can in my garage. My pipes froze up for the first time since I bought this place. Spent morning in scary shallow crawlspace with heat gun and cutting holes in drywall in garage to warm up pipes. Plumbers backed up and they wanted 975 to come out tomorrow for the first hour..lol. Nope. Got them thawed. Not worst blizzard of my generation but so far has done most damage to my home 🤣
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2022, 05:51 PM »
My how times have changed . They throw out the word blizzard & the stores went nuts for days with panic buying! I hear the word blizzard & I instantly go to 1978 which was a REAL BLIZZARD & then fast forward to todays blizzard & I laugh ! High winds & cold with 3” of snow used to be just a normal winters day back then. Tight lines everyone & Merry Christmas!!
I remember the winter of 78. Had to take my snowmobile five miles for a week to get to my pickup which was parked in a friend's yard. It took rotary snow plows and several D9s to get the road open again. The snow in the ditches was piled about ten feet higher than the road surface and we stopped at rural road intersections to check for traffic before crossing. The winter of 66 was even worse.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2022, 05:57 PM »
The cold temps were the problem here.  That made driving difficult, things were even worse east of here in Michigan City. 

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2022, 06:13 PM »
Happy Birthday Teach! Wishing you many more in the future. Hex

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2022, 06:47 PM »
We got a minimal amount of snow here, but the wind was just nasty... couldn't even see across the street at times yesterday.

I think 1999 is probably the worst one I'd experienced here.  Worst single snowfall of my life was living in northern NV back in the early 90s. Doesn't rain much there, but holy hell does it ever snow when it decides to cut loose.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2022, 09:36 AM »
We did have ground blizzard with wind chill temps that could cause frostbite in very short order for exposed skin. And traveling and visibility was horrible in my area Indiana on north south roads. But yeah the snow totals were underwhelming but it doesn't take much snow when wind gusts are over 40 mph. I didn't consider it anything to laugh at.

I have yet to see snow totals in Indiana like I did as a kid in New England except for the blizzard of 78.'   Think lake effect on steroids with the Atlantic Ocean the lake.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Well I got 15 hrs of overtime fixing furnaces. But as far as snow goes in Indiana, it was a big nothing burger

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2022, 09:42 AM »
My step dad got 30 inches of snow in kalkaska area, we only got 5 inches here but some roads are drifted over with feet of snow, it wasnt what i expected, the way the weather made it sound i expected the winter of 2013 where we got 18 inches, but, brutal cold and wind here, its been between 0-10° with 30 mph winds for days, today it finally got up to 17°..... HEAT WAVE lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline fish_pleaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2022, 09:17 AM »
Grew up in north-central IN but moved to SE Idaho close to Yellowstone several years ago. We get negative temps and big winds all of the time in winter. I guess that means we get a blizzard about once every two weeks. Looks like the definition is relative to location. Give me a bunch of snow with those conditions, and then I might use the ‘B’ word. 

I do miss icing crappies and bluegill of the Midwest though on small lakes and reservoirs.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.