Author Topic: Does anyone Jig next to their tip ups?  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Does anyone Jig next to their tip ups?
« on: Nov 25, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Do any of you drill your holes close enough so that you can jig a couple of feet away from your tip up.

What I am thinking of doing is drilling two 8 inch holes about a foot apart in several locations.  After I have my tip ups set, I could walk to each one and jig a rattling spoon or jiggin Rap to attract fish.

I wonder if this would work with a rope attached to some small "cowbell" flashers that I use when trolling for trout / Salmon.

I could jig it for a minute, then go to the next tip up.   Maybe the Cowbells would simulate a school of minnows?

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Wiener

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Does anyone Jig next to their tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I think that would put you a little to close to your tip ups. I'd hate to get those lines tangled up underneath the ice. I jig about 20 feet away from my tip up and it covers more area. But hey, that's me.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Yes it ofetn works great, especially in shallow water. If i have a tip up set up in a good perch or bluegill area. Ill drill a hole about 5 feet from a tip up. I think the minnow under the tipup attracts the panfish, because it is natural for fish investigate an injured fish. I do pretty well with this technique
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2006, 10:56 AM »
What I am thinking of doing is drilling two 8 inch holes about a foot apart in several locations. 

I usually fish 10-50 FOW. One foot would be too close for me, but in shallow water I guess a few feet or more would work.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:59 AM »
I put my Tip-ups on the weed edge 24" from it, then i pole fish 72" into the weedbed, i generally like the full 8 foot, but it depends on depth. i prefer weeds that are less that 4 feet if im using this method, so i can jig the tops of them and still be 6 feet or better down.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2006, 07:01 PM »
The whole idea of a tip-up to me is to cover more ground, would not make sence to share the same fish with my tip-up, so the tip-up stays and I move

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2006, 10:21 AM »
I think that would put you a little to close to your tip ups. I'd hate to get those lines tangled up underneath the ice.

Yeah.. what he said!   ;D    If things are slow I'll go around and pull my traps up one at a time and jig that hole for awhile, then move onto the next trap.  This keeps me within the legal number of lines you can fish, and sometimes it will entice a strike after you've reset the trap.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:13 PM »
Thanks for the replys.

What I was thinking about was using a blade bait or something as an attractor.    Jig it a half dozen times next to the tip up and then move to the next one.

Thanks,

Wiener

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2006, 01:11 AM »
I think i like what your gettin at.  I rigged a tipup with three sets of beads and small spinners 1' then every 6"  to try and mimic your cowbell setup.  think i might borrow a buddys cowbell and give it a try myself   just to get their attentin..   Any idea is worth a try till it proves not to work.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline CHRIS*

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:04 AM »
do you rig the spinners on Clevis.. or in line? how big blades? what type of blade?

Chris

" Give a man a fish he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to Ice fish and he will sit out on the ice and drink beers all day!!"

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2006, 08:25 PM »
Yeah.. what he said!   ;D    If things are slow I'll go around and pull my traps up one at a time and jig that hole for awhile, then move onto the next trap.  This keeps me within the legal number of lines you can fish, and sometimes it will entice a strike after you've reset the trap.

yup i do the same thing i've caught more togue after jigging the line a little then walk to another.... :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:09 AM »
One of the lakes I fish it is common when you set a tipup in shallow water to have perch bothering your bait. Every time I get a flag I bring along a jig pole. I've caught some nice perch doing this.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline CHRIS*

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:36 PM »
do you rig the spinners on Clevis.. or in line? how big blades? what type of blade?

Chris

Any one?

" Give a man a fish he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to Ice fish and he will sit out on the ice and drink beers all day!!"

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2006, 04:14 PM »
i installed my spinners on a plastic quick change clevis.  and i used about every different spinner in my box just to cover the bases.  will have to wait and see what happens

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline CHRIS*

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2006, 04:46 PM »
SWEET .. i just did a search on here and found tons of stuff on the topic.. thanks

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Yes I have jigged next to a tip-up before fishing for white perch. Worked great. Holes were about 3 feet apart Shallow water as well. Except when I did they always grabbed the shiner on the tip-up. :blink: Flash of the Phoebe must have lead them to it. FH
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Jangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Fish go crazy when you play a cascara pattern on your cowbell
Craving ice...

Offline Perch Jerk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My bro is an ice hole
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:36 AM »
I have drilled holes next to my windlass tipups and put my aqua vu camera down to have a look at how the bait was "jigging".  More than once I have seen 3 or 4 jumbo perch just staring at the minnow as if in a trance.  Sometimes these fish can be convered into biters with a different presentation such as jig and mousey.  I know this is reverse of the idea your proposing but I thought I would throw it out there.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 03:30 PM »
dont do it to close to a tip up!! last year i did that and my chub ate my jig. i set the hook and right as i did that the tip up went off. i kept trying to go from one to the other before i realized what had happened

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.