New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What would pay for a custom ice rod?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
What would pay for a custom ice rod?
« on: Dec 15, 2022, 10:48 AM »
Tried to find the poll option, got tired of looking.
While shopping saw some fish 13 ice rods for $75 bucks. Might pay that for a custom.
What would pay for a custom jigging rod for pannies graphite or glass?
What length would you be looking for?
Spilt grip or reg.?
Just trying to see if its me or the market, 75$ better clean the fish as well!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
Re: What would pay for a custom ice rod?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2022, 11:31 AM »
Buckski...

Might not be what you're looking for - but Dicks Sporting Goods has a basic combo set up with 3# test for only $19.99 - on sale - 20% off making them $15.99.

Like I say - it's not the highest quality but if you're taking your kids or grandkids fishing - those poles could end up stepped on or on the bottom of the lake.

Being honest?  I have a couple myself and they work just fine. 

It's like anything - you can spend a little or a lot...depends on if you can stomach lessor quality.

I do not own a $75.00 pole...so I'm the wrong guy to ask. 
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2022, 12:08 PM »

Buckski take a look maybe there is something you might like
 http://https://oneidalakefishingtackle.com/

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2022, 12:18 PM »
A guy here in Michigan who does good work, base price for custom is $95.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2022, 12:59 PM »
Buckski take a look maybe there is something you might like
 http://https://oneidalakefishingtackle.com/

A lot of the product looks the same, they have a ton of stock!
Keep the info coming, figure if I make 5 why not 15?
Looking for styles and price.
TY
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2022, 01:54 PM »
I have several custom-made rods. They all sit in the same bucket hanging on the garage wall. My wife will probably give them away at some garage sale after I'm gone.   There are some very good rods on the market in the $40 -$50 range if you look around. My favorite rod to handle any thing from a pannie to an angry walleye is a JT Rouge. I get them at Lakeside outfitters in Canastota

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2022, 02:23 PM »
Buckski I feel your pain man!  First 15 years I was into icefishing I always rocked the $20 combo kits. Bout 5 years ago I bit the bullet and bought a custom JT rod and honestly I’ll never go back. Guess I’m a rod snob now. Iv bought 1 more JT an Eliot and a 2B ice ranging from 70$-$125 all for different types and species of fish. I limited myself to only 1 a year to take the sting out and just weeded out my cheapo combos. I have split and solid Handel rods but definitely like my solid handles better I suppose that is more preference per person. I don’t have any glass rods so I can’t give ya any input on that my one JT rogue is a hybrid and it is unreal!! Especially for rippin spoons. I come to terms years ago icefishing is strictly hobby for me now a days. I could probobly take my wife out for haddock dinner and drinks twice a week for what Iv invest into fishing over the year lmao.  ::) 

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2022, 02:24 PM »
JT just started selling ice blanks on their website.  They make some sweet rods.  Buy a blank and make your own!  Gold Digger is my fav.

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2022, 02:32 PM »
Never bought an jigger - I usually just take other peoples hand me downs and modify them to my liking or win them in tournaments.  LOL

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2022, 02:46 PM »
Honestly, about $75-$90. All depends on the blank and guides used.

I just started building rods a couple years ago (mostly bass rods, couple trout and one small stream fly rod, then 4 ice rods).

BassKhang blanks are cheap and the closest I’ve found to a Frabill quick tip. They’re outstanding for the money.  When factoring cost of components, they only run around $30 to build for myself. If you get more expensive blanks such as pacbay arctos, then it goes up to around $50-$60. Most builders charge about $5 per guide wrap, plus $40-$50 for labor/profit. So

Most say you can’t save money building rods. I enjoy the hobby so I don’t factor my time as a monetary amount. But after realizing the markup on rods, I probably won’t buy another factory one unless it’s truely something special.

For instance, I built a 6’6” 2wt fly rod for roughly $130. A similar rod goes for $300. I also built a bass rod using an NFC XRay blank and Fuji SiC guides. Same blank and guides Kislter uses on the ZBone. I paid $185, Kistler charges $550.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2022, 03:01 PM »
What would I pay for a custom ice rod nowadays.  Depends on the actual build quality and components.  Cuz a full tank of gas is/was just shy of $100.  So getting to my destination is a tank of gas to and a tank back.  Why not get a rod that at least I will enjoy fishing and brings out the enjoyment with a catch.

My last custom rods built were just under $80 from Thorne Bros back in 2020.  I'm sure those same build would cast me about $150 or more now.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2022, 03:07 PM »
If I like it, and I can afford it, price is not an issue. I have everything from $15 to $130 and I like them all.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2022, 03:44 PM »
Anything under 150$ seems really cheap for an actual custom rod.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2022, 07:48 AM »
Honestly, about $75-$90. All depends on the blank and guides used.

I just started building rods a couple years ago (mostly bass rods, couple trout and one small stream fly rod, then 4 ice rods).

BassKhang blanks are cheap and the closest I’ve found to a Frabill quick tip. They’re outstanding for the money.  When factoring cost of components, they only run around $30 to build for myself. If you get more expensive blanks such as pacbay arctos, then it goes up to around $50-$60. Most builders charge about $5 per guide wrap, plus $40-$50 for labor/profit. So

Most say you can’t save money building rods. I enjoy the hobby so I don’t factor my time as a monetary amount. But after realizing the markup on rods, I probably won’t buy another factory one unless it’s truely something special.

For instance, I built a 6’6” 2wt fly rod for roughly $130. A similar rod goes for $300. I also built a bass rod using an NFC XRay blank and Fuji SiC guides. Same blank and guides Kislter uses on the ZBone. I paid $185, Kistler charges $550.

Yeah built some NFC fly rods and yes would hate to buy my 10 wt. I built, I use for top water pike, bass, musky probably be in the 300 range.
Just getting a feel if its worth it? Might just make a sample batch and speak to some local shops/consignment?

Jean Cocteau

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2022, 04:48 PM »
True custom is rare.
A factory custom I’d say a good one 125/150$
A true custom if someone were to make I would pay good money for. But that means it’s custom to what I want and like, ie: custom blank to start with. And at the price if it was wrong or just not quite right it would be redone.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Does sanding the fiberglass blank count as a true custom?
I have been making some rods friends requested. A 32 inch dead stick in fiberglass (form grip for ease coming out of the holder), 22 inch composite jigger (med-light split grip). A bunch more in the works.
Just figured if I make a handful, why not 12 more just to sell. Rather make what I want that filling a specific order?
Figured med.-light jigging rods for pannies and maybe walters?
Some glass blanks for noodle/deadstick applications.
I have some heavier blanks for bigger baits. Would def be custom cork grips and maybe fly reel seats I did not use on a build, used acrylic pen blanks instead of the stuff that comes with it. Crazy patterns and colors.

Jean Cocteau

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2022, 08:50 AM »
I've got a few from Thorne Brothers customized for each application. I can't recommend them highly enough. Super sensitive blanks and I love the outdoor recoil guides and the stealth cork handles.

You can choose the blank, length, handle, guides, wrap colors, custom text, add a built in titanium spring bobber, etc. So I consider them real customs. They were about $130-$150 with the setups I have, except for my MH walleye with locking Tennessee handle, which was $170. I bought mine years ago and looking now it seems you need to add at least $20 to what I paid.

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2022, 11:22 AM »
Man I couldn’t justify a $190 ice rod but I don’t get out nearly as much as others. Only 5-6 times a year. Most of my bass rods are less than that  ;D

you can buy a thorn bros blank for $55 and piece together the guides, reel seat etc for $50 (max even that’s more than what I’ve paid for bass rods) in parts. So $105 in materials. Typing it out $95 is a reasonable markup since it’s a full business and they need to pay labor plus make a profit.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2022, 11:28 AM »
Man I couldn’t justify a $190 ice rod but I don’t get out nearly as much as others. Only 5-6 times a year. Most of my bass rods are less than that  ;D

you can buy a thorn bros blank for $55 and piece together the guides, reel seat etc for $50 (max even that’s more than what I’ve paid for bass rods) in parts. So $105 in materials. Typing it out $95 is reasonable since it’s a full business and they need to pay labor plus make a profit.

Those are retail prices though.  TB likely has about 50% markup on those prices, maybe more.  Actual cost to TB is likely $40-50 in materials plus labor etc etc.  It is what it is at the end of the day, they are in business to make money.   

I build my own customs personally. Somewhere between $50-80 in materials is probably about right, depending on what you want (blank,guides,grip).

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2022, 12:27 PM »
Mad River Sports in Canastota NY. Carl is a talented guy. He makes custom rods and lures, good prices and ships anywhere. Check out his extensive custom lure selection.

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2022, 12:33 PM »
The cost (OEM) is a lot less than that and has to be. I have had blanks, handles made to specs as well as other components. The most expensive components for a high end ice rod are the REC Recoil guides, even if you buy them direct from REC. But there are other expenses including how much you spend on marketing and advertising, packaging costs, Federal excise taxes at 10% for sporting equipment, as well as your business expenses (utilities, business insurance, etc) which many small business forget to include when costing out a rod. And lets not forget, if you make a profit on ice rods you will be paying Federal Income taxes and Social Security taxes thru out the year if you estimate your taxes quarterly.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2022, 02:05 PM »
Yup, overhead and other expenses factor in heavily.  The price should be what you can get for the product.  I have no issues with it at all.  I just have the ability and equipment to make my own.

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2022, 05:04 PM »
Yup, overhead and other expenses factor in heavily.  The price should be what you can get for the product.  I have no issues with it at all.  I just have the ability and equipment to make my own.

I agree. I modified my post, meant to say $95 markup is reasonable to account for labor and profit for a business.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2022, 12:50 PM »
Ok got a bunch in the works and appreciate the feedback. I find that panni rods will prob. sell the best for our area. Been making composites for jigging and fiberglass for dead sticks. For the grips/reel seat, I put reel seats on walleye rods, but been trying custom cork and the rubber band style seats for lighter rods.. Got some time over break with no ice, so I can put a bunch together. Will try the local market, love to get credit in a bait shop for pike bait, see how things go?
From the 4 I have done so far all the folks are happy and love the marble finish.
Have a good Christmas!

Jean Cocteau

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2022, 01:03 PM »
0$ .  Tried them and never made me a better fishier man… Just saying..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2022, 01:57 PM »
0$ .  Tried them and never made me a better fishier man… Just saying..

Same here - I think I consistently out fish the guys I fish with with their old cheap poles that they gave me - hahaha

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2022, 03:33 PM »
i tied  my own bream rods 36 inch  micro  lights   and  32 inch for inside  shanty i have  10 bucks a piece invested......  i  tied a  few  rods and it's  fun and you have  bragging rights  but truth you can  buy just as  good  a performing  rod   production made a whole  lot  cheaper.....now this is all my opinion which means  nothing   so if you want to  go spend 150  bucks on a  ice  fishing  rod  go  ahead 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2022, 05:04 PM »

Ive learned a thing or two making the wrong choice  occassionally on this topic ive learned two things (with surf rods specifically).  First is custom equals more expensive.  In my experience it hasnt really made a difference other than in the wallet.  Performance improvements are hard to determine because your generally comparing a commerically wrapped blank vs one that isnt but its the same blank at the end of the day.  For me the sentimental value is increased because they are tweaked to my liking but thats more visual than anything else.  Ive spent good money on custom rods from the wrong builder and the value wasnt there.  Ive paid good money for another builder and when id break a guide theyd fix it cheap and quickly.  That was worth more than the rod itself.  Now I just want something that works.  One if laker rods is cabelas, 40 bucks nothing special and I love it.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2022, 05:31 PM »
Broke my favorite St Croix spinning rod this past spring . After they generously replaced it, I decided to turn the tip section into a 34" ice rod. This was my very first attempt at building a rod. Had to move the eyelets and my servings look like crap but hey, chicken poop sticks to the barn roof, right?  I shortened the original handle and reused it.  I'll give it a try.  didn't cost me a cent   As long as nobody is within 50 yards they won't know the difference between this and a high end custom deal   ( ya I know I'm dreaming)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.