New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Erie rescue  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Erie rescue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2022, 03:56 PM »
Yikes 😬😬😳
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:04 PM »
Man I’d love to give this lake a shot this year then you see something like this happens and you read about it and it humbles you. Makes oneida look like a frog pond

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:08 PM »
guess theres a bunch of  atv's and  snowmobiles floating  around out there right now

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:23 PM »
guess theres a bunch of  atv's and  snowmobiles floating  around out there right now

I always wondered about that lol.  So when you get rescued off said lake by helicopter or hovercraft whatever it may be what happens to your gear and machine if ya had one. I’d grab my rod case and slip it under my coat.. then my fish finder if I had room. The rest I could buy new if need be hahahaha

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:35 PM »
they rescue people  not gear

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:40 PM »
No mention of icefishin ppl 🤣

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:45 PM »
I drove down 90 this morning headed to Louisville and the south wind was cranking.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:47 PM »
 Chaumount  can produce the same effect if the wind is in the right direction

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:47 PM »
they rescue people  not gear
yeah no s***. So does it just eventually end up on the bottom? The dec is  pritty worries about machines going threw the ice any other place

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:02 PM »
I believe the fishermen hire private contractors with airboats to recover their equipment.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2009-feb-09-na-icefloe9-story.html?_amp=true

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:17 PM »
Saw that . Wouldnt want to be there.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:25 PM »
Good read Frankie bags. Thanks!

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Good read Frankie bags. Thanks!
No problem. I was wondering myself.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2022, 06:04 PM »
No mention of icefishin ppl 🤣
In all seriousness I'm glad they're safe. But when ppl fail to heed the warnings that were all over social media and their local news that's what happens.

Offline RustyTrombone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2022, 05:42 AM »
We got caught on an ice flow out of Evangola back in the early 90's. Copter picked us up. No machines. Had to leave the auger and some, well most of our gear behind. Either way there's a few walleye enjoying some combos and a dull auger. Lesson learned was to watch the wind. Northeast wind craped and got us.
Proud member of Newfane FD. Glorified ice fisherman. LOL

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2022, 06:30 AM »
The worst I had to deal with was one time off Sturgeon about 30 years ago, we walked out in the morning and had to step over a crack that was about a foot wide.  When we came back in it had opened up wider than this fat guy could jump. So we had to walk about a half mile towards Buffalo until we got to a spot we could jump across.  Somewhat inconvenient but not a disaster.  Nowadays we have cell phones and slightly more accurate weather forecasts. I won't go out when the wind is wrong. I'll be 65 next month so someday soon I can retire and fish any day of the week instead of being a weekend warrior.  Then I can have the luxury of picking the best days.
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline RustyTrombone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2022, 06:48 AM »
Same boat as me. No pun intended. Rather fish a random perfect Tuesday then fight the clowns and bad conditions on a Saturday morning. Cellular telephones have been helpful for weather.
Proud member of Newfane FD. Glorified ice fisherman. LOL

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:13 AM »
Same here...I work too hard to risk leaving my gear on an ice floe...

...and I'm still a weekend warrior - not by choice but necessity.  Retirement is still a few more years off.

For those of you familiar with Clayton, NY and the St Lawrence - I witnessed something I never thought I'd see - this weekend.

From my hotel room - looking at Camulet Island - I saw a single snowmobile leave the Clayton shore and CROSS the St Lawrence going directly over the shipping channel toward Aunt Janes Bay.  Later that day - I saw 3 more sleds follow in that same general direction.

...and just a few hundred yards away (and south?) of Camulet...was OPEN water - clearly visible.

I know that for generations - horse drawn sleds pulled building supplies and even houses across the ice up there...it's well documented.

But across shipping lanes?  Hoo boy!  Not a fish out there that worth it.  Just my opinion.

~Arkangel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2022, 04:12 PM »
Seems like every year the Ohio end has a rescue.  I remember my neighbor took a helicopter ride on this side of the lake and they went back w planks to retrieve atvs.  They got some backlash for it.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2022, 04:33 PM »
The worst I had to deal with was one time off Sturgeon about 30 years ago, we walked out in the morning and had to step over a crack that was about a foot wide.  When we came back in it had opened up wider than this fat guy could jump. So we had to walk about a half mile towards Buffalo until we got to a spot we could jump across.  Somewhat inconvenient but not a disaster.  Nowadays we have cell phones and slightly more accurate weather forecasts. I won't go out when the wind is wrong. I'll be 65 next month so someday soon I can retire and fish any day of the week instead of being a weekend warrior.  Then I can have the luxury of picking the best days.
And you will cherish every day of it   good luck ,enjoy

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2022, 04:51 PM »
A video from FB that I received in a email.
https://www.facebook.com/joe.hudak.50/videos/499224941620016

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2022, 08:00 AM »
A video from FB that I received in a email.
https://www.facebook.com/joe.hudak.50/videos/499224941620016

That video makes me want to turn my old sled into an airboat now haha

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2022, 04:27 PM »
So when you get rescued off said lake by helicopter or hovercraft whatever it may be what happens to your gear and machine if ya had one. I’d grab my rod case and slip it under my coat.. then my fish finder if I had room. The rest I could buy new if need be hahahaha

Been there, done that.  Back in 1997 I was with a group of ice fishermen off Port Clinton when the ice split and floated apart about 100 or so yards.  We all drove the crack looking for a place to cross we found a narrow 10 foot split.  The ice was bare and slick, but one guy still tried to skim the opening with his snowmobile and the skis got caught on the opposite edge of the ice and it with dog sled and gear went down.   Everyone else shut off their machines and let the Coast guard take us off.  50 plus machines and gear were left.  There were locals out there with us and when we got to shore they went and got (4) 2X12'sX16' and long story short, we crossed all the machines, and gear and no one lost anything but that 1st guy.  Locals told us that the Great Lakes are International waters and anything left can be salvaged by anyone.

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:21 PM »
yep after 24hrs it's fair game to whom ever gets it first

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2022, 06:02 PM »
That’s a crazy story perch chaser no guts no glory I guess lol. That’s kinda what else i was wondering. So what happens when an iceberg with 20 machines goes up to Canada or someone has somthing they can get out there?!?!  Think their gonna try to contact the owner? Lmao. Me and a buddy were gona give it a try last weekend of this month but with the current conditions and a look at extend forecast… along with our inexperience of the lake we locked in plans at chaumont instead. Hope you guys a little closer get out..and post pics!! Lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.