Author Topic: The cost of bee moth... I'm sounding like my parents... went to Max today...  (Read 2590 times)

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
I understand you have to pay to play but I was surprised today at the bait store when a 30 pack of bee moth was $7.52 with tax.  For a moment, I thought maybe they thought I said two packs but they gave me one.  As I was walking to my truck, I was thinking of the times I heard my parents express their dismay with the rising cost of things.  In the overall scheme of things, I suppose this is insignificant but noticeable.  The ice at Max was good and I probably walked out 3-4 football fields from shore.  I fished 14' of water and had fish come and go.  They were not too impressed with my expensive bee moth/tear drop jig as I only connected with one average perch.  They seemed fascinated with my small jigging rap tipped with bee moth as they would hang around and follow it up and down but not commit. There were several lookers but minnows may have been a better choice.  The surface was well frozen in almost all places with a random break through here and there.  Only one other shanty out within looking distance but too far away to converse with.  It was a beautiful, crisp day out on the ice. 

Offline dohall21

• IceShanty Rookie
What the heck is bee moth? I've never heard of that here in Pa. is it like wax worms or maggots or to ne nice they call them spikes HaHa.

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bee moths are wax worms. Lol. I call them wax worms but have heard them referred to as both in Indiana.

Thanks for the update. Hoping to get down there Sunday morning for a few hours. I was out about a week ago. And pretty much what you described then as well.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
wowsers! ill let them stay at the bait shop for that price. what bait shop was it?

fish are like cats. they are curious sometimes. i had the same thing happen with my jiggin rap the other day.  so i down sized to tiny flicker spoon.  same thing, they just looked at it, but i got a couple tastes/bumps.  so, smaller yet, i pulled out one of my clear tungsten bead head rods and started "pounding".  that wasnt magic but it put a dozen and a half in my sack before dark.  just enough action to keep me curious. lol  some days they just want to look it seems.  which i cant understand.  i mean you put a mini snickers bar in front of me im gona bite ;D

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  i mean you put a mini snickers bar in front of me im gona bite ;D
Haha… thats a good analogy

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hear ya on bait price.
I paid $3.50 for a 36 count.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I switched to plastics years ago. Haven't looked back. A few bucks for a pack of 10, get multiple fish off each one and they never die.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I switched to plastics years ago. Haven't looked back. A few bucks for a pack of 10, get multiple fish off each one and they never die.

Same. I switched to Gulp waxies a couple seasons ago. I catch just as many fish, and a baggie of 75 lasts a looooong time.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Same. I switched to Gulp waxies a couple seasons ago. I catch just as many fish, and a baggie of 75 lasts a looooong time.
  ever try any of the "wack em stack em" plastics? Sort of local for us. Made in cedar lake. A little pricy but they have amazing action. 

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
i bought a tub of 250 moths, 30 freakin dollars. I had to check my drawers after that....

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
maybe an old fart thing? b***hin about the price of a bug.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  ever try any of the "wack em stack em" plastics? Sort of local for us. Made in cedar lake. A little pricy but they have amazing action.

No. I got a ton of Gulp and the Powerbait Fry and wiggler dirt cheap when Big R folded, so I'm pretty much set on ice plastics for life. I pretty much cleared out the Watseka store of ice jigs, spoons, and plastics when they hit 60% off.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pretty steep for Bee Moths !!! I'm like others, plastics, wedges, Gulp and the like! I've tied up a bunch of ice bugs of my own creation and they all work. If anyone would like to grow their own Bee Moths I have the recipe I could post up? Back when I first started ice fishing we would start them around Thanksgiving so they'd be adults around Christmas. We used high protein dry baby pablum for medium and they were so big they'd almost grab the fish!!! ::) ::) ;D Had them escape a few times when they were itty bitty and crawled all over carpet and couch. For some reason wife got upset !!!!
Teach

Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
lmao  my wife puts up with a lot as far as bait goes.  maggots on the couch would probably set her off though.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
Boy, I'm glad a tub of B Moths are only $12.00 where I live. I haven't bought a 36 ct for a long time.  Spikes are $3.20 for a 100.  I save them the way my grandpa showed me how and the spikes will stay good until July or Aug.  Great bait on a wet fly in June.  By the way, that's about how the bite has been till we got some snow on the ice.  Some lakes that were good went to lookers and the the lookers lakes went to a hot bite.  That's why its called fishing and not catching sport. Good luck out there.

Offline kesdadddy7597

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just fish them without bait and save your money.  IMO gills and crappie are just as easily caught without live bait or plastics. You have to make sure to hang your jig horizontal, and it doesn’t really work for “dead sticking,” but I can’t remember the last time I bought bait for ice fishing. I might borrow a few spikes from my fishing partner to tip my jigging rap when perch fishing, but other than that I don’t find it necessary.   

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
LMAO, :) Teacher preacher, my wife would have a fit.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
250 for $14.00 keep them till well into June!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
$13.00 + in Kokomo.   :o
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boy, I'm glad a tub of B Moths are only $12.00 where I live. I haven't bought a 36 ct for a long time.  Spikes are $3.20 for a 100.  I save them the way my grandpa showed me how and the spikes will stay good until July or Aug.  Great bait on a wet fly in June.  By the way, that's about how the bite has been till we got some snow on the ice.  Some lakes that were good went to lookers and the the lookers lakes went to a hot bite.  That's why its called fishing and not catching sport. Good luck out there.
Walleyedan, I’m curious as to how you store your spikes. I’ve heard of many different ways. That’s generally what I use into the beginning of the summer but if I could keep them a couple more months that would be great! Thanks

Offline WildBill91

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The cost of bait....im raising my own.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2022, 04:50 PM »
Hey guys in the future I will be sharing my experience raising mealworms...and I hope to try raising beemoths as well. Mealworms are pretty darn easy, not as good as beemoths in my opinion but they do work. Beemoths are going to be a bit more challenging and I am going to have to do that in the garage when its warmer.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I tried raising beemoth/waxworms. They got huge but then started spinning cocoons and were hard to pick out. I put them in cold for a couple days as I had read that would prevent it. It didn't have any effect. Good luck. The ones I did grow were bigger than any I have ever bought in baitshops.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Old timer gave me a simple recipe for growing B Moths.  Takes a little time but you start with with twelve and I ended up with over 2000.  They were nice size.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lee1977 check your PM box.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Go to search: Re: Culture For raising Wax Worms- 1/03/2012 TeacherPreacher.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I must be missing something as I never use Bmoth. Just spikes and mousies when available.

Offline WildBill91

• IceShanty Rookie
Lee1977 check your PM box.

Walleyeda, do you mind sending me that info  as well? I definitely plan on trying to raise them this spring.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.