Author Topic: Automatic Hook Set !  (Read 2553 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Automatic Hook Set !
« on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Some of you may remember this little gadget !
Years ago there used to be a pole stand that you would use for bank fishing . It was spring loaded and when the pole got a hit it would trip the spring and set the hook for you but the bail had to be locked .
I'm thinking of trying to make a tip-up work the same way only being able to free spool and still set the hook .
Any suggestions or am I a little behind the times and this has already been done .

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
Re: Automatic Hook Set !
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:04 PM »
Some of you may remember this little gadget !
Years ago there used to be a pole stand that you would use for bank fishing . It was spring loaded and when the pole got a hit it would trip the spring and set the hook for you but the bail had to be locked .
I'm thinking of trying to make a tip-up work the same way only being able to free spool and still set the hook .
Any suggestions or am I a little behind the times and this has already been done .

I'm good, but I don't think I would label myself "Automatic"!   ;)
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:10 PM »
It would take all the fun out of picking up the slack feeling if the fish is still their and sticking it at 10 deg. with no gloves and wet hands. Whats next a tipup that cleans and cooks the fish. ;D

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:13 PM »
It would take all the fun out of picking up the slack feeling if the fish is still their and sticking it at 10 deg. with no gloves and wet hands. Whats next a tipup that cleans and cooks the fish. ;D

It would take some of the fun out of it but barbless hooks put the fun back in !

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I have seen some crafy guys from PA with a mouse trap on a 5 foot rod. The trap with the trigger and the bent rod set the hook once tripped.
It does work, don't know about hook up rates?
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:48 PM »
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I've seen something like those called a slammer. I read they weren't the best for the rod to be bent in sub zero temps for a long period of time.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:57 PM »
here's the url for slammer tip-ups
http://members.aol.com/slamcoinc/slammertipups.html

never tried them or automaticicefisherman, but I have seen automaticicefisherman at some sports shows

CAUTION, these are NOT LEGAL in Minnesota (after all it's the "land of 10,000 hunting and fishing regulations" dair doancha know?)
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline johndeere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2006, 05:24 PM »
A friend gave  me a tipup that automatically sets the hook and it reels the fish up automatically. You use a little crank that winds up a special spring and when the fish bites it triggers it and reels the fish up. I dont know what company makes them. I only have caught a few fish on it. It mostly loses the fish if they peck the bait or it sets the hook so hard it rips through there mouth. If I learn how to put pictures on here I will post it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.