Author Topic: Would this be a good fishfinder for ice fishing?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
Would this be a good fishfinder for ice fishing?
« on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:25 AM »
They got this on the Walmart Site.Im not a diehard Ice fishing pro,but looking to do some icefishing this year.Do you think this Humminbird would do alright for Ice Fishing?Or is there a bigger advantage using a Flasher,I realy have no experience with one of them. :-\

Humminbird PiranhaMAX 10 Portable Fish Finder.

Kick back and let the fish come to you with this portable single-beam fish finder. It has a built-in 3-level alarm that sounds at the site of fish. It features a 240-foot depth capability, and a beautiful, new clear edge grayscale enhances definition and highlights. Easy-on, easy-off mounting system.

Specifications

Depth capability: 600 feet
Display window size: 3-7/8-inch diagonal
Display matrix: 160v x 132h
Display type: 4 level grayscale high contrast LCD
Power output: 100 watts
800 watts
Operating frequency: 200 khz
Transducer: inside hull or transom mount
Power input range: 10-20 VDC
Mounting: easy-on, easy-off tilting mount
Key Features
Self-contained carry case with ergonomic handle, transducer cable wrap and non-skid bottom
Operates on 8 AA alkaline batteries.
Suction cup transducer mounts on most smooth surface wood, fiberglass and aluminum hulls
High-definition 160V x 132H LCD display for sharper image
True 4-level grayscale delivers a clearly better image of bottom, fish and structure
Single-beam sonar optimized to deliver bottom detail and coverage
Big, easy reading digital depth
Easy one-touch control accesses full set of advanced features
Water temperature included
Ultra-compact size mounts almost anywhere
Backlit display for night fishing
Built marine tough and waterproof
Made in the USA
Additional Features

Advanced zoom option reveals fish and structure near the bottom
Large, easy-to-read digital depth and temperature readouts
Protective bezel with recessed lens
3-level alarm sounds at the presence of fish targets
Adjustable depth alarm from 2 to 99 feet
Simulator mode lets you learn the features without being on the water
Easy-on, easy-off mounting system
Feature memory remembers settings

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Would this be a good fishfinder for ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:34 AM »
I use a Cuda 128 portable, and it can shoot through 30" of ice to get depth before I drill. While fishing, I rig it up for still fishing, and any fish appears as a line across the screen. it's not perfect, but it works. I also use this same unit on my boat in the summer. For he price, it wasn't bad at all.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:35 AM »
i think the only thing i'd worry about is the fact it runs on 8 aa's...just because in the extreme cold they could lose their juice fast ???

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:40 AM »
I used one like that for several years and it worked somewhat.
It was slow in the area of response and because it was liquid crystal it didn't do that well when the temp was below 20 deg.
 The fish alarm is fine if you are drifting or trolling on open water but it drove me nuts to use it when ice fishing as it was constantly going off as it would sense every little bit of "junk" in the water.
 If you can find a used flasher I think IMHO that you would like it better.

Winchester88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2006, 10:08 AM »
I had a Fish Buddy Sidfindr my first year.  The liquid crystal dislplay was slow when really cold.  now about the only time i take it out any more is when a buddy want to use it and the long pole is okay for following the auger to check depths and bottom composition.  Im totally sold on the flashers now and there are some reasonably priced ones that a guy could start out with.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Are flashers made mainly for ice fishing,and are they easy to read?I realy have no clue about them.

The one above is only around $125 and like I said im not an all out Ice fisherman,So I realy dont want to go all out "Price Wise" for something I wont be using much.

I bought alot of ice fishing gear last year to get in the whitney Point crapppie derby,but they never had it due to thin ice.

Im thinking to get into a little more this year,I want to fish a local stocked lake for trout.its suppose to be deep lake but isnt much bigger than a large pond.

So what would you do in my position?Is there a portable flasher out there for around $150 that would work well for my situation?I just cant justify spending alot for my few outings on the ice.So what would you do in my position?

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2006, 11:40 AM »
i would say if you are fishing for trout that you'd want to find a used flasher of some sort. They are great for suspended fish. If you spend an extra $70 you can get the new marcum vx-1. Then all you need is to get an open water transducer. Or you can just hang the transducer over the edge of the boat. :tipup:

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Corporal P, I agree that you should save a couple more $$ and get yourself a flasher. They are NOT just for ice fishing. My Cabela's Master's Walleye Circuit partner and I both use flashers (Vexilar) on the bows of our tournament boats. They are esay to use and will give you much better results than the LCD unit you asked about.
Pete Lewis

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2006, 11:52 AM »
save your money and buy a flasher instead,  this thing looks like a toy.  Like someone said,  the LCD would definetily freeze on you and the batteries would die in few hours                J

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:05 PM »
I have a VEX (FL-18) that i have open water fished with for the last 4 years. Works like a champ for suspended fish of all types. It also shows how they are reacting to your lure (raising up to take it or dropping down to get away) The only draw back is high speed running, Its hard to make out the actual depth at 30+ MPH. You can get a high speed, puck and ice transducer for just about any brand on the market. As it has been said many times you get what you pay for and the Humminbird Piranha MAX is their low end model. The only benefit would be the Big, easy reading digital depth relay helps running top speed from spot to spot.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys,im glad I didnt just jump in and buy that Pirana now.I just searched the  marcum vx-1 and that is nice! ;D

It had a price tag around $250,its kinda steep for what my usage of it would be.But im deffinately not buying the pirana now.And will have to splurge a little extra on a flasher.Do you guys know where the cheapest site is to buy a flasher,and is the marcum vx-1 the best for the price?

Im going to do some more searching now for a cheaper site,but you guys can keep this great info coming,Thanks... :)

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:51 PM »
marcum vx-1 is nice for $250 and then a mail in rebate for $50.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:11 PM »
 Check out e-bay. Guys that are upgrading are always selling off of the old units and you can find something that fits your situation.

winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:25 PM »
Check out e-bay. Guys that are upgrading are always selling off of the old units and you can find something that fits your situation.

winchester 88

I agree check ebay you never know what you'll find, the VX1 is going to be selling for about $249.99 on just about every site i think. Then the $50 rebate is in the box.

Offline puddle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • miss ya brother in memory of mlp..........
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:14 PM »
dont waste your money!!!i used a bottomline1101 last 2 years it sucked it was like watching yesterdays news today.....super slow i dont know how many times wham i got hit hook a fish and then blip a fished showed on the screen...i mainly used it
A- cxause its all i had and could afford and B- TO SHOW DEPTH WAS ALL ITS GOOD FOR IN MY OPINION.......checkk out cabels vxr ive beat my brains out looking for the best flasher for my dollar in my price range and everyone here help with the decision that it is the best.... they have them for 249 with a 50$ rebate......
youl have 75$ more it something a million times better........
on the 8th day he created icefishing and on the 9th day he created vexilar........

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:05 PM »
I would try and find a flasher if I were you, they're much better for ice fishing and are realtime so no delays at all unless your fishing really deep water.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2006, 06:26 PM »

The one above is only around $125 and like I said im not an all out Ice fisherman,So I realy dont want to go all out "Price Wise" for something I wont be using much.

Hahaha... get yourself a good flasher and you will use it a lot!!!  You will be an all out icefishing person.  The ice Never comes soon enough, nor stays long enough.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2006, 02:29 AM »
I had a Cuda portable fish finder and it seemed to work fine as far as the LCD and I liked the feature for the >$100 price. I used it in the cold but I did have it in a some what warm portable. The bad thing about is the boat style transducer, unless you rig a holder for it and attach it over the hole or bought the  ice fishing conversion it didn't work. I took it back because for a couple of bucks more I could get the X67C Ice machine with a color display for fish finding and a built in digital flasher. Depends on your budget and if you want a FF or a flasher or both. In the extreme cold I would opt for a little higher end model of either because you get what you pay for.

FF

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:50 AM »
Are flashers made mainly for ice fishing,and are they easy to read?I realy have no clue about them.

Flashers were originally made for open water use.  My first Ranger had a flasher on the bow and paper graph on the console. :o  Over the years LCDs have virtually replaced flashers for open water use, although there are some old timers who still use them - and a few folks who still like them for vertical jigging.

Several manufactures have continued to develop flashers and focused on the ice fishing market.  They are well suited for the vertical nature of ice fishing and the cold weather.  The color screens that most now have make them easy (and fun) to use once you get used to them.

While I have been using LCD displays for many years now on open water, I have not tried an LCD on the ice.  If the LCD 'ice' units are scrolling the screen like the open water models, then I'd wonder how effective they'd be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.