The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 6" hole  (Read 1036 times)

oldschoolben

6" hole
« on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:03 AM »
Just curious the biggest fish that you have caught through a 6 " hole?  As far as a Pike goes,

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: 6" hole
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:22 AM »
Some nice pike, but the biggest fish was an 8+lb Largemouth. For the pike, the only "trouble " I have had was if they were hooked in the corner of the mouth and got locked sideways against the bottom of the hole. If I am fishing big fish waters and using a 6" hole after I cut the hole I take my pick and cut very quickly "bevel" at the bottom of the hole. Problem solved.

oldschoolben

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:47 AM »
I have a 8" gas auger and a 6 " hand auger, Im trying to lighten my load in my sled, I walk everywhere I fish so with me getting older and years of plumbing and busting my ass is catching up to me,  I usually have a couple tip ups for Pike and jug for perch, crappie and pike

oldschoolben

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:48 AM »
That's a fat bass , good job

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:06 AM »
caught a 36 1/2 inch pike through a 6 inch hole hooked in the corner of his mouth, had to reach down and turn his snout up into the hole then he came out without a problem.

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:27 AM »
You might consider a drill set up to save some weight, I went to a clam plate and 7in lazer bit, lighter and seems to be big enough, and with a 7 in I can drill a lot of holes through thick ice

oldschoolben

« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:29 AM »
You might consider a drill set up to save some weight, I went to a clam plate and 7in lazer bit, lighter and seems to be big enough, and with a 7 in I can drill a lot of holes through thick ice
I'm looking at getting one Maybe the strike master

Offline D0ugf1r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2022, 06:50 PM »
I walk everywhere I fish and use a 6” hand auger as well.  Only issue So far was one day on Van lake a friend and I lost several good sized ‘bows.  I’m convinced they would have fit but just couldn’t get them to turn head first.   

Haven’t hooked into a big pike through the ice yet

Offline KatJohn7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:27 PM »
I mainly fish for pike. 6 or 8 inch work well for me early ice. 5 inches or less. 38 inches and 16 pounds is the biggest out of those holes. When the ice gets thicker I run with my 10 inch. It’s easier for the kids and I to lead there heads up the holes. Even with a 10 inch. I have had to put my arm down the hole to lead the line up when they are 16-20 pounds. Kids make it entertaining at times.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2022, 08:42 PM »
I use a drill and a 5" auger. Pulled a 36" pike through a hole at crooked last year. Was tricky, but thankfully had a 2' leader on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.