Author Topic: TEAM ALASKA OUTING  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
TEAM ALASKA OUTING
« on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Grizzly1 has suggested to me that we should try to organize a get together consisting of a day or two of ice fishing with fellow Alaska Ice Shantyites :tipup:. At this time there is no set time frame or area. Grizzly1 said he would be willing to travel and I was thinking of somewhere between the Interior and the Valley, preferably on the road system for those without snow machines.
I am asking for your suggestions on locations' and dates ??? Once we get a few ideas, a poll will be started on a locations' or dates to make it feasible for as many people to attend as possible. If we can nail down a specific area there may be a few lakes that we could fish. Not sure about give aways but we could look into it if we can get some stuff donated by local places. There will be no entry fee, because this is not a tournament. We can look into having a derby or tournament at a later date.

This is just a get together to meet others from around here who share our passion for the outdoors and ice fishing.

Brad

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
Re: TEAM ALASKA OUTING
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:20 PM »
I think it sounds like a great idea. Count me in.

Baiter
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline gokorn1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Air Traffic Controller In Training
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:43 AM »
im in also. This is only my second year ice fishing and could use all the help i can get. Im willing to travel as long as its somewhere a 2wd truck can make it. Looking forward to seeing the polls.
Cash Crate
Treasure Trooper

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2006, 02:41 AM »
Here's some lakes to possibly consider for the poll.  Starting from Louise and working north.

Lake Louise/Susitna - Lake Trout, Burbot, Grayling and Whitefish.

Paxon Lake - Lake Trout, Burbot, Grayling, Whitefish, Rainbow Trout and Kokanee/Sockeye.

Summit Lake - Has the same species as Paxon.

Fielding Lake - Lake Trout, Burbot and Grayling.

Quartz Lake - Silver Salmon and Rainbow Trout.

Birch Lake - Coho Salmon, Rainbow Trout and Grayling.

Harding Lake - Dolly Varden/Char, Lake Trout, Burbot and Northern Pike.

Lodging (cheap) nearby might be worth noting?  There are some cabins near Delta Jct. (south of) that are reasonable.  Lake louise also has lodging, don't know what the prices are.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:58 AM »
Hello All,

Sounds like fun, the link below is to the State public use cabins. There is one at Birch Lake and two at Quartz but only one is road accessible. The Glatfelder cabin is about a half mile west of the boat ramps at Quartz. Birch Lake cabin will sleep six and they also have ice huts for rent on both lakes, not sure when they will put them out. They tend to wait after their Quartz Lake trouble a few years back. The Scout Camp at Lost Lake used to rent the cabins in the winter, may be worth checking them out. It's thirty miles from Birch to Quartz, 15 miles back to Harding and Midway Lodge has breakfast.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/cabins/north.htm

I have a place on Lost Lake Rd., and could put on a potluck breakfast prior to a day of fishing, just let me know.

KP

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:00 PM »
 ;D
Yeah any of those lakes would be great to fish on!  I am planning on Louise over christmas (staying at the wolverine lodge) and can scope the scene out then, if its not too late.  Otherwise, I am down like a clown to set up a shanty town and fish til I can't take it anymore!  Let's get something planned!  Are there any holidays coming up soon that aren't Thanks or Christmas?

Jake

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:34 PM »
Sounds like a great idea! just need to get my shack done and find a sled and ATV..... :P

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:02 PM »
Me and the wife are also in! I like KP's idea!  But it would be nice to try a non local lake, I havent fished Louise Summit or Paxon and I hear they all hold some nice fish.
~~~~\\\"Si vis pacem, para bellum\\\"~~~~ <>< <\\\")))))><<br />

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:59 PM »
Forgot to ask if anyone knows if the Black Spruce Lodge on Quartz is open, they also had cabins and fishing shacks for rent when they were open in the past. Think they even drilled the holes and started the fire.

Birch Lake also has a healthy population of Char, they don't run as big as Harding, but a 23 incher through the ice is a kick on light tackle.

Headed for my cabin on Friday and I plan on fishing on Birch off of the highway pullout Saturday. I'll see what I can find out about the Scout Camp.

A trip to Paxson or Summit would be fun, there is Paxson Lodge located between Summit and Paxson and Waters Edge on Summit, links below.

http://www.akpub.com/akbbrv/paxnl.html

http://www.alaska-highway.org/delta/waters-edge-cottages/

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:53 PM »
I'm in for the Paxson, Summit, Fielding Lakes area. This will make it interesting, since alot of us don't really fish down that way to often. If we get enough people with snowmachines or 4 wheelers we could also hit Tangle lakes or Landmark Gap. I know FarmerGrant has a cabin on Fielding (if he is in) and I'm sure we could find some rooms or someone who owns or knows someone who owns a cabin around Summit. In the mean time we should be looking for some dates, when it it is not really cold, maybe Presidents Day or one like it.

I'll waite a couple of days to see how many more posts we get and then we can get a poll started.

Brad

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:29 PM »
speaking rental shacks i think alaska snow safaires rent ice shacks.....

Offline cool_husker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO BIG RED!!! HUSKERS RULE!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2006, 09:39 PM »
Sounds great!!

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2006, 12:46 AM »
Just wondering if this Team Alaska outing ever reached any real plans.

Baiter
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:16 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Baiter

HEY EVERYONE, I need suggestions on an area that meets in between the distance for us in the Interior and those of you that live down there in the city. Thinking the Richardson Hwy Paxson area would be ideal. Also need to think of a time frame before this post takes a dive off the main page.

A poll while be started when we get some input.

Thanks

Brad

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2006, 03:07 AM »
Hello to all. I'm intrested in joining your ice fishing expedition. If i can? I'm from whitehorse, yukon, all depending on the plan details. but am definetly willing to make the trip up with my atv.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2006, 04:41 AM »
I think Paxon area sounds like a great area, three good lakes right there (Paxon, Summit and Fielding) with a couple other lakes nearby for those with snowmobiles.  What time frame were you'all thinking of......Suggestions, maybe late tourney time frame?

thehunter696,  I think it would be great if you could make the trip. :thumbsup:

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:53 PM »
how would one become a member of team alaska? I am going to be fishing up north quite a bit and wouldent mind some company.

Offline TakeAKidFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Sounds like a great idea.  Only been ice fishing two years so a little exploration outside the bowl sounds fun.  Spent 12 years in Fairbanks and never ice fished so I would be willing to road trip that far.  Always willing to work on a carpool option with a group of guys from town, I try to always travel with the "EXPERT" 9 year old. :D

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:00 PM »
Paxon area sounds great to me.  FOr the time frame, I think late tourney time would also be cool.

Baiter

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:21 AM »
how would one become a member of team alaska?

You have taken the first step and the only step to take ;D Congratulations it's official! :clap: :clap::thumbsup::flex: :flex: :clap: :clap:

Attention, anyone who is a regular on this forum and is a registered user of IS is an " :tipup:"Official Member of TEAM ALASKA >:D  :tipup:

I also agree on the time frame of the IS online Tourney end (usually end of March) or we could all team up and compete as a group for the State title but the time frame in general sounds great. We should have warmer temps and longer light to get adequate fishing time and this will allow everyone enough time to stock up on fishing supplies and gear.

More to come, Stay tuned

Brad

Offline Alaskander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:49 AM »
You'se guys are silly!  KP good to hear your still "O"Fishally communicating.  Fishing Fireman caught one nice laker and it changed his life.  Hang tight!  Think Burbotsky!

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2006, 01:14 AM »
haha, I would love to catch a burbot. I am going to go out looking for bots and some lake trout  on sunday after my wrestling tournement.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2006, 02:44 AM »
Hello to all. I'm intrested in joining your ice fishing expedition. If i can? I'm from whitehorse, yukon, all depending on the plan details. but am definetly willing to make the trip up with my atv.

Man I would love to fish with you guys up there. Must be the pretty ruged type if you are driving your atv from Whitehorse to Paxson area in these cold temps :flex: :flex: :flex:. Guess you are allowed to drive them on the highways up there. Down in northern BC we can't do that except in Manson Creek where you can drive your snowmobile, atv, or donkey thru town, with no questions asked.

Anyone up your way fish Atlin area? Love that lake ;D

Looking forward to you guys giving BC some competition in the burbot category. We were hopeing Fishymanjake would catch some big uns but he hasn't been around. Hope you all can take up the slack.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2006, 03:42 AM »
Where is FishermanJake? Did he pass away, or get married?  Same thing I guess.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Must be the pretty ruged type if you are driving your atv from Whitehorse to Paxson area in these cold temps :flex: :flex: :flex:.
That would be some journey Terry :wacko: Whitehorse is about a 12 hour drive from the area and more like a one to two dayer by snowmobile or ATV. Yes we are a rugged bunch just like you guys. Wish we had more snow though. Not really even worth taking the machines out unless you travel a couple of hours towards the mountains.

In reference to Jake, I not sure about the married part but I heard he moved down towards the Anchorage area. We still have Barleydog and a few more to pursue the elusive eelpout. I don't think we can overcome the length on those prehistoric lakers down there unless we get a good one.

Bring it on Buddy! :flex: :flex: :flex:

Brad

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Mid-March sounds good and I like the idea of Paxson, Summit and Fielding Lakes. Three friends and I were at Fielding last year for Saint Patricks Day, we even served up corned beef and cabbage. That cabin is a little on the cozy side with four large guys in it.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:27 AM »
That would be some journey Terry :wacko: Whitehorse is about a 12 hour drive from the area and more like a one to two dayer by snowmobile or ATV.
Brad
Yep thats why I was saying he was the rugged type :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
You would be pretty chilled by the time you got there.

I think Fishymanjake got a ring put on his nose and probably finger too :wacko:. I asked him a few years ago to find a woman that would let him fish....but we don't hear much from him anymore. Poor lad. Young and not thinking properly. Guess we have all been there ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2006, 01:37 PM »
WOW! AN OUTING!  Geez, I have been hiding out toooo long.....  Now if only you could make it for a Monday or Tuesday, I'd be ready to go! :( 

Hunter696,

How's the fishing out your way??   Talk about a road trip.....  Whitehorse sounds like a great time!

Kevin, 

You'd have to organize the lodging and not the food for this trip right?  :D  Corned beef and cabbage + Four adults =  :-[ :-[ :-[ :sick:
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:27 PM »
Well look who came out of hiding  :clap: ;) Glad to see you back BD. Heard you are enjoying life on the other side of the fence ;D. Up for an outing some weekend ??? KP and I hit up Birch and it was slow as far as catching fish :( My days off have changed so I only have the weekends and Holidays now, no more fishing the middle of the week unless I take off work :wacko:

Whats the deal with the Mon-Tues? Are those your days off at the new job? We will try and work a date which is suitable to most people, proably around a time when there is a 3 day weekend. We'll try and make it work, otherwise it wouldn't be the same without the Barleydog :'(

Brad

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Yes to all those questions!  Yeah my new job limits me to odd days off, but that'll change soon enough.  Should move into the new place up on the Chena ridge at the end of the month...  Now I'm closer to the river, and ready to conquer the wily burbot soon. 
I'll change you some days to make it out to Birch....  Give me some time and some fish lips will be ripped!  It's funny, this is the first time I can remember NOT having fish and moose in the freezer!  We worked the freezer down to nothing for the move...  Oh man guys I'm itching bad!!!!!!
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.