New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Good hatch of oakleaf grubs this year  (Read 4972 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good hatch of oakleaf grubs this year
« on: Dec 17, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Today I went to a stream that runs through a woodlot and I was able to pick out of the leaf dams in the stream about 200 oakleaf grubs in 2 hours for this Winters ice season.  Some days when mousiee's or spikes are a no go the oakleaf grubs may be the key.  Anyone else go out and get any oakleafs this year?

Offline windburn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • take your kids fishin'
Re: Good hatch of oakleaf grubs this year
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2021, 09:00 PM »
Not yet, but soon. Would like to fill a mz tag first. Wife and I usually try to get out and get some oakies before everything freezes hard.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2021, 09:38 AM »
i have  never gone  looking for them  hmmmmmmmm  how long will they last? and  how do you keep them

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2021, 09:59 AM »
i have  never gone  looking for them  hmmmmmmmm  how long will they last? and  how do you keep them
Called a guy. Known to have them in past.
You find them on creek edges where oak leaves collect. Says have one guy stand in creek with a screen. Larger then a window screen but no bigger then 1/4”. After that another guy rakes the leaves and the grubs float and catch in the screen.
What he says.
Also said they keep for a good while with some oak leaves in the fridge like spikes I guess. Looking into trying some for those tough days on the ice.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Today I went to a stream that runs through a woodlot and I was able to pick out of the leaf dams in the stream about 200 oakleaf grubs in 2 hours for this Winters ice season.  Some days when mousiee's or spikes are a no go the oakleaf grubs may be the key.  Anyone else go out and get any oakleafs this year?

Probably just the pics Perch Chaser because I know you are a great fisherman but those look pretty dark and unhealthy?

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2021, 10:43 AM »
I've never done it but have the perfect spot  will try it this week

Also  I am wanting to buy my spikes in bulk this year,  1000 minimum    any body want to offer advise on where to purchase and how well have you been able to keep them ?
      appreciate any suggestions

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2021, 11:01 AM »
I've never done it but have the perfect spot  will try it this week

Also  I am wanting to buy my spikes in bulk this year,  1000 minimum    any body want to offer advise on where to purchase and how well have you been able to keep them ?
      appreciate any suggestions

Jada bait ...in the fridge last all season plus ..just dont ever put them back into the main source .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2021, 11:41 AM »
Jada bait ...in the fridge last all season plus ..just dont ever put them back into the main source .

X2. Also, if more bedding is needed use peat moss.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2021, 12:36 PM »
X2. Also, if more bedding is needed use peat moss.

Where crawlers, grubs, and worms are in question...peat moss is the breakfast of champions, kept at about 50-55* deg.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2021, 02:00 PM »
Nice find perch chacer..  Yes they work well for all panfish..👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2021, 12:06 AM »
Here is some more info for you guys that want to find some oakleaf grubs.  They work great for pan fish as ice fishing bait.  I have also caught walleyes on them.  You can find them in the leaf dams in a free flowing creek where a tree branch or down log has made a dam of leaves.  The leves do not need to be oak leaves.  The crane fly lays eggs late Summer, early Fall near the edge of the creek and when they hatch the oakleaf larva enters the leaves in the creek for the Winter.  Just remove a large two hand full of leaves and lay them on the edge of the creek and slowly sort through the layers of leaves and you will find them.  They are not in the leaves above the water line, so take the leaves from the water surface to the bottom.  I have found them at different locations in NY.  They are not rare.  To store them collect some wet leaves from the creek and place them in a styrofoam cooler along with a little water in the bottom of the cooler along with the grubs.  They eat the leaves so keep the leaves wet through the Winter.  PS: the oakleaf grubs do not eat beech leaves.  They do not need to be refrigerated, a cool spot in the basement is fine, they will keep in the leaves in a cooler all the way into Spring when you can use them for trout fishing if there are any left.  Good luck give them a try. Trapper, by the way I use them on your lake and they catch fish.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2021, 12:24 AM »

Probably just the pics Perch Chaser because I know you are a great fisherman but those look pretty dark and unhealthy?
They are always dark black,  They were taken from nice and comfy leave dams and placed in my cramped kool whip contaniner for about 2 hours so that is probably why they look like they do in the pics.  Today they are all at the bottom of the cooler and very active. 

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2021, 07:04 AM »
I never used them but have seen tons of them where I used to dig for lampreys. Same conditions I just never payed attention to the type of leaf. I have seen them in trout caught through the ice.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2021, 07:09 AM »
I harvested golden rod grubs many times but never knew oak leaf grubs existed.i learned something today.

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Exactly how we get them perch chacer haven't done it in a few years but you've inspired me lol , they make the best perch bait in my opinion only thing is you get seriously cold hands . We used to buy them local along with michigan crickets we called them from a bait shop on the north end of conesus lake

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2021, 09:21 AM »
They are always dark black,  They were taken from nice and comfy leave dams and placed in my cramped kool whip contaniner for about 2 hours so that is probably why they look like they do in the pics.  Today they are all at the bottom of the cooler and very active.

Thanks Perch Chaser. When they get plump, their skin stretches out and they get more clear colored. They have a "water-like" liquid inside so you have to hook them through the ends. Good fishing.

Offline fishfetcher71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2021, 09:28 AM »
where i grew up in pa.  we called them spring worms or water worms.  used to catch large brown trout at night with them.   also great perch bait

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2021, 09:29 AM »
Exactly how we get them perch chacer haven't done it in a few years but you've inspired me lol , they make the best perch bait in my opinion only thing is you get seriously cold hands . We used to buy them local along with michigan crickets we called them from a bait shop on the north end of conesus lake

Yea, I'm getting too old to be screwing around in streams though. That bait shop is still there (new owner) and remember it well. They are actually called Michigan Wigglers and they are May Fly Nymphs. Pretty expensive (and had to keep them in water) and were only good for one fish apiece (if you even hooked it). People use the imitation plastic May Fly Nymphs now maybe with a Spike on it. Enjoy. Cya.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2021, 09:51 AM »
Yea, I'm getting too old to be screwing around in streams though. That bait shop is still there (new owner) and remember it well. They are actually called Michigan Wigglers and they are May Fly Nymphs. Pretty expensive (and had to keep them in water) and were only good for one fish apiece (if you even hooked it). People use the imitation plastic May Fly Nymphs now maybe with a Spike on it. Enjoy. Cya.

These are actually the Mayfly nymph (wigglers). They are my go-to for Perch. Hard to find around here the last couple of years 'cause nobody wants to dig them up...including me. And yes...they love water but not submerged in it. I made a framed screen that I put in a small cooler just below the surface of the water. Keep 'em in the fridge with an aerator.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2021, 10:32 AM »
Wigglers we’re all we used, except small minnows, when I lived in Holland Mi.    ;) 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2021, 06:01 PM »
I remember that bait shop and the wigglers.  He sold them in baby food jars.  I was a teenager back then and the perch fishing in Conesus was excellent.  Brings back a lot of good memories.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2021, 10:52 PM »
I try to pick them in the middle of Nov. during deer season so it's not as cold on the hands, and yes, you can get very seriously cold hands.  If you look for them too early they are to small.  I like them like the ones I got this year 3/4" to 1" long.  I also remember the Michigan wrigglers that you mentioned we use to get at the Conesus bait shop.  Nice to see some old guys that remember.

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2021, 07:39 AM »
I remember that bait shop and the wigglers.  He sold them in baby food jars.  I was a teenager back then and the perch fishing in Conesus was excellent.  Brings back a lot of good memories.
It was Bob's Bait at the North end of Conesus. I had just got my driver's license in September of '73 and I remember going to Conesus that winter and getting wigglers, oak leafs and some Conesus jigs from Bob and catching a bucket of nice perch off Stella Maris. I was pretty green back then so the fishing had to be really good for me to catch a bucket full. I had one of those old spoon augers which was high tech compared to the spuds that most people were using.
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2021, 10:14 AM »
easy to catch if you find the right stream. Rake the leaves up  and cold weather water proof gloves for sorting. Keep them alive can be tricky. usually a bucket of earthen matter I usually used leaves and moss, but anything that will stay moist and don't let em freeze.
If you buy them they are expensive!
I have caught walters on them as well.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2021, 03:07 PM »
easy to catch if you find the right stream. Rake the leaves up  and cold weather water proof gloves for sorting. Keep them alive can be tricky. usually a bucket of earthen matter I usually used leaves and moss, but anything that will stay moist and don't let em freeze.
To store them collect some wet leaves from the creek and place them in a styrofoam cooler along with a little water in the bottom of the cooler then add the grubs.  They eat the leaves so keep the leaves wet through the Winter.  PS: the oakleaf grubs do not eat beech leaves.  They do not need to be refrigerated, a cool spot in the basement is fine (50's), they will keep in the leaves in a cooler all the way into Spring when you can use them for trout fishing if there are any left. I have stored them with this method for the last 50 years, yes I am in my 70's.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2021, 03:58 PM »
well I did it.  I killed a couple hrs playing in the stream with an old sein I had from yesteryear.  Thru trial & error I learned how to catch them by myself & got about 250 in the old fridge.  Now I just have to see what fish wants to eat-em.  Lets get some ice

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2021, 06:46 PM »
well I did it.  I killed a couple hrs playing in the stream with an old sein I had from yesteryear.  Thru trial & error I learned how to catch them by myself & got about 250 in the old fridge.  Now I just have to see what fish wants to eat-em.  Lets get some ice

strong work!!!     How wide was the stream?      keep us posted how they work!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:07 AM »
I try to pick them in the middle of Nov. during deer season so it's not as cold on the hands, and yes, you can get very seriously cold hands.  If you look for them too early they are to small.  I like them like the ones I got this year 3/4" to 1" long.  I also remember the Michigan wrigglers that you mentioned we use to get at the Conesus bait shop.  Nice to see some old guys that remember.

Cold hands is not the only hazard. Muskrat traps are worse-they are supposed to be marked but not always!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:12 AM »
It was Bob's Bait at the North end of Conesus. I had just got my driver's license in September of '73 and I remember going to Conesus that winter and getting wigglers, oak leafs and some Conesus jigs from Bob and catching a bucket of nice perch off Stella Maris. I was pretty green back then so the fishing had to be really good for me to catch a bucket full. I had one of those old spoon augers which was high tech compared to the spuds that most people were using.

Ahhh, the good old days with spoon augers. I resemble that remark. Still have them but not to use. Had to have them sharpened just right-we went to Hollow Grinder back in the day. Yep, I'm just as old as Perch Chaser, just not as good a fisherman.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:59 AM »
strong work!!!     How wide was the stream?      keep us posted how they work!!
[/qIt wasn't much more than a drainage ditch   Since we've had surplus rain, it might be 6-8 ft wide .  It meanders along under the oaks. No trouble stumbling along with a pair of hip boots.  Every wad of oak leaves held a batch of these ugly grubs.

I will post how I do with them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.