The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flathead Reservation proposed non-resident price increases  (Read 7344 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Proposed Changes for March 1, 2022 through February 28, 2023

The following items are proposed changes or new additions for the annual 44D regulations for all non-members of the CSKT:

Part I, 2022-23 Reservation Licensing, Section 1. Form of Licenses and Duplicates

Camping Stamp 18 and Older:  For all categories of residences – increase camping stamp cost from $20 to $100.
Non-Residents of the Reservation:  Increase annual Conservation License for both age categories from $23 to $100, increase 3-Day Conservation License from $19 to $80, increase 3-Day Combined Conservation/Fishing License to $105, increase the Disabled License from $17 to $100.
Non-Residents of the State of Montana:  Increase annual Conservation License for both age categories from $26 to $100, increase 3-Day Conservation License from $19 to $80, increase 1-Day Combined Conservation /Fishing License to $80, increase 3-Day Conservation/Fishing License to $146, increase Disabled License from $17 to $100.

Offline A1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flathead Reservation proposed non-resident price increases
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Ouch! That's my go to area to get away from the guide/client sh*t show that bogs all the rivers around Missoula down. Ill be paying but damn

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Pretty aggressive bump and it will be prohibitive to some.  Is it better to have less fee money from more people or more from fewer?

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Ugh. Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is on. 🤞🏻
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Wow, what a huge increase.

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:22 PM »
they can keep the lakes to them selves

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:35 PM »
The way I look at it the fish for their fisheries are coming from the hatcheries that are paid for primarily by Montana fisherman?
So maybe the hatcheries should raise the rates?

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2021, 01:46 PM »
quick thing here as a resident of this reservation as well as being a non-member of this tribe. the new changes suck but what can we do? its not our land and they are free to charge whatever they like. with that being said here is the info for comment:

We ask that all comments be submitted via letter or email, no later than December 23rd.  Public comments can be summited by letter to P.O. Box 278, Pablo, MT 59855 or via email to Amanda Bourdon, DFWRC Permit Agent at [email protected] or Stephanie Gillin, DFWRC Information & Education Program Manager at [email protected]. Written comments may also be sent to the Flathead Indian Reservation Fish and Wildlife Advisory Board Chairman, 406 6th Avenue East, Polson, Montana, 59860. 
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2021, 04:21 PM »
I think if they can charge us that to fish on the res then they should pay a jacked up  fee to fish off the res.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2021, 06:17 PM »
So, if a family wants to do a float/camp fishing trip on the lower flathead for the weekend, it will cost that family about $1,000!  :'(

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2021, 12:40 PM »
Seems a bit counterproductive to me. They want to get rid of the Lake trout from flathead so bull trout can thrive, so they increase the cost to fish which will reduce the number of fishermen. That only affects the south half of the lake so the north half will have more fisihing there cause they won't go across the "line". Guess we will be spending our money at Lakeside, Somers, and Woods Bay instead of Polson. Oh darn bet they don't think of that in the fish management program - how some of us will drive past their community of Polson and go to the north half. What do they gain when the fishing community is only so big anyways and we would go other places when $$$ is to much. Besides that you don't get many chances to fish the lake through ice....
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2021, 02:06 PM »
Seems a bit counterproductive to me. They want to get rid of the Lake trout from flathead so bull trout can thrive, so they increase the cost to fish which will reduce the number of fishermen. That only affects the south half of the lake so the north half will have more fisihing there cause they won't go across the "line".

I checked multiple sources, except CSKT, but didn't see increase in price for South Half Flathead Lake, in which you can purchase separately. If someone else have info, it be greatly appreciated. The whole proposal is pretty whacked!

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2021, 02:39 PM »
The goal is not to eradicate the lake trout in Flathead Lake, impossible without literally serializing the lake completely. numbers of lake trout in the lake have gone way down, even with my personal experience on that lake (used to catch and tag the money fish in college) numbers have gone down dramatically and the MackDays "tournament" has done its job in brining the numbers of lakers down. Bull trout are slow to rebound but numbers are going up for them as well. the price increase scares me as well even though im a resident of the reservation and love to do multiple day floats on the lower flathead river, it does hurt to think about having to pay 400 for my family to camp. I would highly recommend all of you on this thread that are opposed to the change to write to them on the above provided emails.....and to do it tastefully. I personally count myself lucky that they opened the reservation waters back up after the Covid shut down...they could have kept all of us "none natives" out for good.....think about that a little

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2021, 03:39 PM »

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2021, 04:07 PM »
If it’s worth your time consider your 2 cents to them via email. If enough people contribute there opinion maybe they will consider something more practical. I sent mine today.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Death from above

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2021, 06:30 PM »
 :)

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2021, 08:27 PM »
I emailed them today

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2021, 08:24 PM »
I am not sure exactly of the reasoning, but it seems that they are more concerned about limiting the amount of people than making money..With the massive increase of people from around the country continiung to flood into western montana, i am sure the tribe is concerned about the stress on the land and overall "new energy" coming to area...They have every right to set the rate, but it is unfortunate tho for non reservation people that have been fishing and recreating for years and even generations....

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2021, 08:28 PM »
X2!
Exactly, any responses to the tribe that they deem insulting, or even infering slightly ,that they can't do what they want.... will be seriously counterproductive....

Offline D0ugf1r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2021, 10:52 PM »
I am not sure exactly of the reasoning, but it seems that they are more concerned about limiting the amount of people than making money..With the massive increase of people from around the country continiung to flood into western montana, i am sure the tribe is concerned about the stress on the land and overall "new energy" coming to area...They have every right to set the rate, but it is unfortunate tho for non reservation people that have been fishing and recreating for years and even generations....

I agree it seems more about limiting the number of people out recreating.  Living in woods bay we like to drive some of the roads on the east shore above flathead.  In the past all that was required was a tribal recreation permit.  This past summer signs said in addition to that you had to actually reside within the boundaries of the reservation.

Just drove around Polson Bay today actually and thought “ I think I’ll try fishing that this winter”.  Now I’m thinking maybe not☹️

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2021, 05:31 AM »
I think if they can charge us that to fish on the res then they should pay a jacked up  fee to fish off the res.

Exactly what I thought
Get bit!

Offline A1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2021, 12:39 AM »
That does definitely sting. A gradual bump might have been easier but honestly  I'll be more happy seeing less of you out there. No guides no crap show and now less kallispellers and missioulians on the water sign me up

Offline D0ugf1r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2021, 10:20 PM »
That does definitely sting. A gradual bump might have been easier but honestly  I'll be more happy seeing less of you out there. No guides no crap show and now less kallispellers and missioulians on the water sign me up
[/quote
It’s interesting that your profile location says “Missoula”. Maybe you’re in that group of Kalispellers and Missoulians they are trying to weed out!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2021, 06:42 AM »
🙄

Offline remyjames23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2021, 12:21 PM »

Can you imagine the sign?

Montana Resident annual license: $30
Non-Resident annual license: $103
Native American annual license: $200

They can charge whatever they want on the reservation, it is their land and regulations. State of Montana can too but they are never going to jack up the price for tribal members who have been in the state longer than any of us. It sucks that the price went up but it is no different to me than a land owner letting me hunt on their land. Got to appreciate that we can still fish it at all in my opinion.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Can you imagine the sign?

Montana Resident annual license: $30
Non-Resident annual license: $103
Native American annual license: $200

They can charge whatever they want on the reservation, it is their land and regulations. State of Montana can too but they are never going to jack up the price for tribal members who have been in the state longer than any of us. It sucks that the price went up but it is no different to me than a land owner letting me hunt on their land. Got to appreciate that we can still fish it at all in my opinion.
they dont buy licenses and hunt/fish/poach wherever they want
Dont ask

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2021, 10:15 PM »
I'm happy to pay a fee to go to where others are not willing to fish.  I crush it up there.  More for me!  (they took errr fish!!) 

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2021, 12:06 PM »
People are missing the point here...The areas and campgrounds and boat accesses have seen massive increases in traffic in the last 2 years...The locals who come to the resorvoirs to recreate are finding no places to park and recreate.. The lots are full of out of county / state plates and the resorvoirs and rivers are filled with paddle boards and kayaks.. There were times this summer where people i know couldn't find space to have their family bbq's  .. This is more of the issue that concerns the tribe... People posting pictures of themselves on paddleboards with the  missions in the background on FB and IG certainly doesn't help ... But hey, license is still good till feb 28...I know its a lot to ask and is a long shot, but people just need to be respectful and considerate when visiting tribal lands.. Its a layered issue, but ultimately its the tribe's decision to set their own fees...

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2022, 07:13 PM »
The Blackfeet Reservation is the same way by increasing their prices:

Daily Fishing Permit - $30.00 (valid for purchase day only)
3 Day Fishing Permit - $75.00 (valid for three consecutive days only)
Season Fishing Permit - $150.00 (valid April 1-March 31)
Recreation/Conservation Permit - $20.00 (valid April 1 - March 31)

I use to buy a season permit for $90 and thought that was a lot.  Not interested in paying the tribe $150+.  I wouldn't be surprised if they increase it to $200 next year. 

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2022, 05:56 PM »
they dont buy licenses and hunt/fish/poach wherever they want

that's 100% not true. they have what is called aboriginal hunting and fishing rights where they are allowed to hunt and fish in traditional grounds (western part of the state to idaho essentially.)anything past those boundaries they do pay to "play". This is the type of comment and mind set that will get yourself and others that are none members including myself who live on the reservation (which is not their homeland but where they were put after the hellgate treaty) banned and blocked from using anything but flathead lake. If your mind set is like that i say good riddance and stay on your own waters. remember....we are all on stolen land.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.